Alright people. I need some help if this story is BS or not

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IshmaelM

A neighbor of mine said he sold a 1 ounce bar of gold to a local pawn shop.
He said that the gold was actually silver that was gold plated. After gold plating he took a gold leaf sheet and fused it onto the plated silver. Idk how
He stamped it as .999 1 troy ounce gold.

The local pawn shop gave him $1150 for what was supposed to be about or less than 20 bucks.

Either the pawn shop is really dumb or he is pretty good con artist which is it yall?

IshmaelM said:
A neighbor of mine said he sold a 1 ounce bar of gold to a local pawn shop.
He said that the gold was actually silver that was gold plated. After gold plating he took a gold leaf sheet and fused it onto the plated silver. Idk how
He stamped it as .999 1 troy ounce gold.

The local pawn shop gave him $1150 for what was supposed to be about or less than 20 bucks.

Either the pawn shop is really dumb or he is pretty good con artist which is it yall?

What does it matter. Trust your neighbour?

If he's telling the truth, then he is clearly someone you should not be associating with. If he is lying, then he is clearly someone you should not be associating with.
See where I am going with this?

Wouldn't the bar be about twice the size of a real gold bar?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

rickzeien said:
Wouldn't the bar be about twice the size of a real gold bar?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Exactly - I smell BS- either that or the pawn shop was a total eejit, which frankly they are not noted for being. 8) 8)

Jon

Let’s hope the pawn shop isn’t connected to a few handy types who might pay a visit to retrieve the money :shock:

Ever since the tungsten gold coated bar scam a few years back, which is essentially bars which have been machined out to a hollow shell and filled with a tungsten blank and the end plugged with gold. All buyers cut the bars in half before buying. If they are selling it as scrap it doesn't matter if it is cut and they can expose the fraud. If they are greedy, (what, a greedy gold buyer!!!!!!) they plan on re-selling it with a premium to make more cash. Likely the buyers intent here. So the seller and the buyer are both low-life's in my book.

4metals said:
Ever since the tungsten gold coated bar scam a few years back, which is essentially bars which have been machined out to a hollow shell and filled with a tungsten blank and the end plugged with gold. All buyers cut the bars in half before buying. If they are selling it as scrap it doesn't matter if it is cut and they can expose the fraud. If they are greedy, (what, a greedy gold buyer!!!!!!) they plan on re-selling it with a premium to make more cash. Likely the buyers intent here. So the seller and the buyer are both low-life's in my book.

It 's aliiive!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jon

anachronism said:
4metals said:

It 's aliiive!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jon

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good to hear from you 4metals - its been awhile - hope all is well :!:

maybe we will here more from you :mrgreen:

you have been missed :(

Kurt

I often come across offers of hundreds of kilogrammes of gold for sale from one West African country. Some of these even have pictures of "gold" bars with a hungry looking guy squatting next to the lot. In my opinion, only the greedy and ignorant will fall for such scams and pay for plated metals, as common sense ought to scream at them: "If the gold was real, why is he looking for a buyer over the internet? Does he not know his way to any of the reputable refineries across the globe? And why is he offering me a discount on LBMA price when he could get full value at a refinery?"

I normally avoid further business contacts with such persons rather than belabour my brains trying to figure out what schemes they have up their sleeves and whether their story is true or absolute nonsense.

KStevens said:
I often come across offers of hundreds of kilogrammes of gold for sale from one West African country. Some of these even have pictures of "gold" bars with a hungry looking guy squatting next to the lot. In my opinion, only the greedy and ignorant will fall for such scams and pay for plated metals, as common sense ought to scream at them: "If the gold was real, why is he looking for a buyer over the internet? Does he not know his way to any of the reputable refineries across the globe? And why is he offering me a discount on LBMA price when he could get full value at a refinery?"

I normally avoid further business contacts with such persons rather than belabour my brains trying to figure out what schemes they have up their sleeves and whether their story is true or absolute nonsense.

And you are from Nigeria :shock: :D

nickvc said:
KStevens said:

And you are from Nigeria :shock: :D
Normally, I don't ask people where they are from. I find that subjective and nothing destroys a clear mind like subjective reasoning. I prefer be objective so I can evaluate contents without bias and prejudice. That way, I learn more about the content provider than I could otherwise.

However, in the spirit of full disclosure and friendship, yes I am from Nigeria with almost 2 decades in the mining industry at senior decision making levels. Over the years I have met fantastic people from across the globe. The ones that I have found most memorable are those with open minds and basic human modesty.

I think this is a great forum, one of the finest examples of positive values man can deliver to humanity with the power of the internet. I could only hope that more noble minds join this forum, or create others in other disciplines with a view to expanding the frontiers of what we know and what is achievable.

True, forums like this will attract spams from the mentally lazy, as well as sarcasm and cynicism from the narrow minded. But so far, the moderators are doing an excellent and admirable job. So I wouldn't worry about that.

I would rather focus on staying objective in expressing my views, when I feel I have something valuable to contribute, or silently learn from others as they express theirs.

I think Nick probably meant something somewhat different to the way it came across. I know him very well, and frankly it's the kind of clumsy wording that I am usually guilty of 8) 8) 8)

Indeed I did mean it differently than it was taken so if I caused offense I apologize.
We normally get scams from Africa in general but not exclusively and for a member to have your outlook from Africa is pretty rare but also refreshing.

Back