Back to the basic acquaintance test.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just wanted to share that after years of scrapping, months of studying, purchasing products from the good members here, weeks of creating solutions and concoctions I don’t know yet what to do with.... I have gone back to the basic acquaintance test and here it is. Purple never looked so good! IMG_4822.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be sure to keep the lid on your stannous chloride. It is hygroscopic, and once it absorbs some water it will start to deteriorate.

Glad to see you're getting positive results!

Dave

Thanks Dave! That’s a great tip!

I had previously prepared 2 different recipes of stannous solution and had never gotten a positive result from either recipe. Only by the crystals directly on the test paper with a drop of distilled water. I was beginning to think my stannous was bad.

The 2 spot dish samples are from one of my old ones and a new one I made today with 10 ml concentrated HCL and 1/4 tsp stannous crystals.

I couldn’t stop smiling, like I had just hit the jackpot. Funny what little things can make my day. Thank you for your guidance over the last few months.
IMG_4823.jpg

A couple of other tips. Put a bit of metallic tin in the stannous solution. It will help keep it in good condition longer. Also, try to minimize the air in the bottle. Your Sept. 4 bottle is the best. And of course, keep it cool and out of direct light.

Dave

That purple color is almost as good as seeing the gold. But then that purple color is really gold.

Shark said:
That purple color is almost as good as seeing the gold. But then that purple color is really gold.

Yes! For being a noob, this is exciting. Although I look forward to the day when I can produce the powders and buttons you’ve done Shark.

And now what you need to do is keep a little of the pregnant solution so you can test your stannous at any time, to be sure it's still working. 8) 8)

anachronism said:
And.......test your stannous at any time, to be sure it's still working. 8) 8)

Absolutely! One of the most frustrating things was having a stannous solution but not having tested it to make sure it worked. I was working blind. I thought I had watched enough tutorials and researched enough posts to know if I had gold in solution.

Rookie mistake. I realize testing solutions are imperative if I’m going to be successful. There’s still so much to learn!! Like, what do I do with the purple spots in my spot dish?

[emoji3526]

thepickerexchange said:
There’s still so much to learn!! Like, what do I do with the purple spots in my spot dish?

A drop or two of aqua regia will dissolve the purple stains. Then rinse them into your stock pot to recover the gold.

Dave

Back