Iron chloride solution dark red

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slaughlin79

I had a piece of steel plate that was a foot from where I refined some pgms and for the past 3 years and this steel plate has obviously rusted away but the rust is covered in a dark to light grey layer so just for giggles I put in in a container and poured HCl on it and it almost immediately turned red. That confused me bc I’ve only seen where saturated solutions of ferric chloride where yellow maybe even darker yellow but never have I seen dark red which made me beleive that fumes coming from a beaker moving over the rust would’ve precipitated pgms when it came in contact with the rust. I did a few searches before writing this and even pictures don’t look anywhere near like this solution. The material I have has a lot more palladium than anything else so it would make sense that it would dissolve pretty quickly without having to add hydrogen peroxide or the dry chlorine that I prefer , or at least the palladium black I’ve experienced dissolved readily in HCl alone pretty quickly. The stannous test confused me even more but that’s another subject. I don’t think it’s palladium personally and the iron chloride is completely saturated and in return looks like what I’m seeing but I don’t know because I know that fine good filters catch a lot of pms that get recovered

Back