Melting silver

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew.ferneau

This might be a dumb question. But can I use the same flux for melting silver that I use for brazing or even for soldering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can melt silver without flux.

Depending on what your goal is in the melting of the silver what chemistry you are doing with the silver in the melt would depend on what type of flux you may need to use(oxidizing or reducing),...

Answering your question it depends. on what your goal is in the smelting of the silver, and what the silver is composed of, and what the soldering flux is composed of...

The sodering flux is made to clean metal and the joint to remove oxide layers of the metal, so the solder can bond better with the metal, ( thus many soldering fluxes are normally oxidizing agents), these can also have resins that help to remove or flux away the contaminants from the joint, the soldering flux cleans the metal and gives the molten metal a cover, to allow solder to flow into a joint more easily following the flux and heat and carrying away the contaminants, protecting the joint and the melt from oxidation in the heat in the oxidizing environment of the torch or other atmospheric conditions...

silver brazing and silver soldering are two completely different things, and the flux composition for each is also different, We may even use different silver soldering fluxes or silver brazing fluxes to bond different metals together...

Without knowing more of your goal or what flux or silver you have it is hard to answer this question.

Back