Why is my AR Green?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davmeek20

hi members I need your help. I have a VERY GREEN AR and Ive tested with stannous chloride and got a Dark Purple almost Black stain verifing gold in the solution along with a very BRIGHT orange color.
the materials i used were gold foils in coffee filters that i had filtered out and rinsed real well out of my AR solutions they came from cell phone boards as well as virgin gold plated circuit boards that have never seen solder.

I put all the foils into a 2 liter container and put 200ml or so of HCL and then added 15ml or so of Clorox bleach. i covered and let sit in the sun for days and when i came back to check i poured out green liquid and filtered the rest out through a filter which was basically mush from the filters that held the gold foils i have added distilled water and a tad bit of Urea to make sure all Nitric was out. And my AR is still the same green color.

i dont know what went wrong. can someone please help me!?!

Heres the photos

Attachments

• 20191223_010636.jpg
    20191223_010636.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 122
  • 20191223_010435.jpg
    20191223_010435.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 122
  • 20191223_010704.jpg
    20191223_010704.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 122
Why did you add urea when you used bleach to dissolve the gold?

Green is probably from copper or nickel that you still had with the foils. After precipitating the gold it will probably turn blue. Nothing to worry about.

Göran

If you still had foils then you did not dissolve them all.

You only put it in the sun after you have dissolved all the foils to destroy any remaining free chlorine.

Putting it in the sun right away is probably why you did not dissolve all the foils, you killed the chlorine before it could do it's job. And it does not take days, a few hours will kill it quite well. Or a little heat on a hot plate.

As Goran pointed out you don't need to use urea at all in this process since you didn't use any nitric. And you don't need urea in that process either, sulfamic acid is better.

Back