New To Forum, need help!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rone

Hello all! Recently picked up a new hobby of smelting/refining and I have a question that I think you guys can help me with. I have been melting down silver and gold into bars, and I must have accidentally had copper or something else with some of the gold I had. Now when I use my testing kit on these couple bars it isn’t even 10k, would you recommend remelting these bars with more gold to try and get a readable karat? I ultimately want to refine the gold I have. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you again and glad to have joined the forum.

There's a big difference between melting, and smelting.
What exactly did you melt? And what volume/weight are you talking about?
I normally do not respond to posts like yours, namely because it's frustrating to read that someone has done this, without enough knowledge of what they are doing.
I know it's hard, because you are so excited to get started. Most of us have been in your position as well, but what you've done, was illogical, and depending on your answers (to my 2 questions above) may have been counterproductive.
However what's done is done, and you'll have to accept that, whatever the outcome may be. Just try not to get overwhelmed, and try not to do anything else, without gaining proper and accurate knowledge about what you are doing.
Best of luck.

Thank you for taking time to reply. I should clarify, I keep all my known karat gold separated now for when I will refine but about a month ago I had some dental scrap and other small pieces of scrap. I have a mini kiln and only melting down things a few grams to a half ounce at a time. Like I said it was mainly for something to do on the weekends for fun but I’d like to refine in the near future. I have already learned from some idiotic mistakes I’ve made lol

You can raise the gold content by adding gold.
Or
Learn chemical methods, to recover and refine your gold, the forum has all of the information you need to learn these skills, all you would need is the desire to learn and a willingness to study.

If you choose to learn to chemically refine your metals, I suggest starting with Hoke's book.

As long as tin is not involved you can simply melt and pour shot and dissolve the base metals in nitric (parting the gold), wash the gold.

From there you just melt the gold, or you could refine the gold to a higher purity if you wished to learn.

Thanks Butcher, I thought adding gold would be okay. I have been reading up on the subject as much as possible. Thank you for your input.

Raising the karat would not be my choice unless my goal was to just raise the karat to 10K and sell it to be refined.
Parting with nitric will give you around a 90% or better gold content to base metal if performed properly, which would need to be lowered in karat by adding copper, or other metals to sell it for refining.

Buyers will test for the closest karat, and can only test for certain Karat, they normally cannot test for gold over 22K.

Back