lab equipment question

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patnor1011

Hi gents and ladies.
I am struggling with my English and I am trying to look for something I cant really put a name on. Like I have no idea what to look for or how to call it.

Basically I am looking for some whatchamacallit like you see in the labs - stuff which holds different flasks and equipment. It is made from rods and screws and stuff. I am thinking like lego bricks - you can build anything from them so I just need to figure out where to look for and what is it generally called if there is some specific term for it. I am thinking like threaded rods with different nuts, bolts to let you build stuff at different angles and such. I have a terrible problem even explain what I am looking for but it is something like on picture I am adding, I just want to find out if there is a possibility to get some quantity of stuff like that to build custom constructions.

Attachments

• FIRJ77IH2WERBAL.MEDIUM.jpg
    FIRJ77IH2WERBAL.MEDIUM.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 280
What I am trying to do Nick is that I want to put long electric griddle like the one we used for drying gold powder at Jon's on a table. I will then put 2-3 computer fans underneath with magnets - homemade stirrer.
Then I put in 3 x 5l beakers there. I need to build some structure which will hold containers with material suspended in 5l beakers. I need something steadier than lab stands pictured - probably need to build something from threaded rods as I am thinking of placing small motor there too to make suspended containers to go up and down so they kinda swim in solution.
I am trying to scale up iodine leach to figure out how much of material can be processed this way. It could also be used for ferroC leach.

Lab stands as the ones pictured are not that sturdy. I would use floor flanges they screw down. Then I would reduce the pipe to 1/4 pipe, to make them stronger you can connect the two stands together at the top with pipe using a union fitting. Then you would be able to buy the old style heavy duty lab clamps that would slide up the supports. Just a thought for you. Here is a link to what i am talking about.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/VPC-3-4-in-FPT-Black-Malleable-Iron-FPT-Floor-Flange-16-521-604/205955667

That is exactly what I am struggling with :)
Not being in a field while I know what I want I cant put a proper name to the parts - like floor flange, union fitting.
It used to be easy I would just browse plumber and builder stores but now when everything is closed I have to search for stuff online and it is quite hard when you do not know proper name. :mrgreen:

Do not worry about your English. What you have is the same thing that plagues people the world over, that is not knowing the language of fields of study or work trades not their own. If you knew the part name in any of the several Irish dialects, translating to English would be easy.

When I retired from the military nearly 30 years ago, I knew quite a lot in the language of electronic repair. I doubt if the language of theory is similar today. Also, I know quite a number of English who can not communicate, orally or in writing, in their mother tongue.

Time for more coffee.

I think you are referring to reactor support framing. Stainless steel pipe and epoxy coated blocks. Chemglass makes some for the jacketed glass reactors. Very expensive.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chemglass-Steel-16-W-2-5L-Single-Reactor-Benchtop-Support-Stand-Frame-CG-1950-/323871480175

You might look at T-slot framing. Lots of connectors and accessories available. Your imagination is the limit. More reasonable. I think you would need to epoxy coat it it once built.

https://www.amazon.com/Slotted-Aluminum-Tracks-Multi-Purpose-Track/dp/B01H7WG548

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Well it looks I will have to wait till hardware shops open. I need quite a lot of stuff I cant get online but I could not help myself and wanted to test motor and leach to have idea on how to proceed and this is for the moment still very crude demonstration but one day soon I will make it much better :mrgreen:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i7xZis6sxQ[/youtube]

patnor1011 said:
Well it looks I will have to wait till hardware shops open. I need quite a lot of stuff I cant get online but I could not help myself and wanted to test motor and leach to have idea on how to proceed and this is for the moment still very crude demonstration but one day soon I will make it much better :mrgreen:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i7xZis6sxQ[/youtube]
Is that Iodine/iodide leach? What is the proportions? And what do you precipitate with? Does the solution then regenerate for reuse?

Nice set up. I like the stepper idea.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Pat just a thought but what you need is the movement of the solution so fresh solution is always passing the items to be stripped, have you tried a bubbler or several to move the solution around or perhaps a pump of some sort, that way you could load your items and switch on and walk away.

Yes rick. Iodine-iodide. Precipitation with ascorbic and regeneration with peroxide.
Nick, I used bubbler before but this way leach is moving around everything. I will do actual processing in taller 5l beaker and add magnetic stirrer on the bottom too. Container with material will not touch bottom. That way there will be as much stirring as there can be.

Another thought Pat if you can get a cement mixer with a plastic barrel would that work ? Or possibly a stainless rod with a stirrer on the bottom that could be passed through your basket to create a gentle current, not to sure how corrosive the solution is or what it’s safe to use as a container.

I do have a lot of fans from computers so I am trying to make magnetic stirrer just need to figure out if I can use harddrive magnets and how to place them so it works.
What you suggest should work too but I got that motor for free and I have another 3 of them. It is a motor from BMW car door window. Free is good and should last quite long when I use it in steps mode.

The BMW door motor may not be rated for continuous running. A windshield wiper motor works well and can be easily powered by a computer power supply. I have had to strap aluminum heat sinks to the motor to keep it cool enough so as not to damage the motor after making a rock tumbler from it.

For the magnetic fields to be able to perform work on the stirrer, maybe stack several hard drive magnets together and glue the center of the magnet stack right at the center point of the fan.

A hard drive magnet is usually two magnets in one (so to speak),
------------------
| NNN X SSSS |
------------------
where the magnetic north and south are 90 degrees to the magnet in plan. The X is where I would glue the magnets to the center point on the fan.

The link below shows how someone made a magnetic stirrer using a computer fan and neodymium magnets, but those magnets are probably only one north/south running through the center of the circular magnet.

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Cheap-Portable-Magnetic-Stirrer/

Last, using a griddle will present the challenge of keeping the heat from destroying the magnets and possibly melting the plastic fan blades, since the magnets may need to be close to breaker. Make sure the griddle is aluminum and not cast iron, since the iron will direct the magnetic flux parallel to the griddle and lower the affect on the stir rod.

Good luck with your project.

Thank you for your input. The solution needs to be only about 20-degree celsius so that heat hopefully will not damage magnets or plastic.

Reference material;
https://learning-center.homesciencetools.com/article/chemistry-labware-picture-glossary
https://www.usalab.com

Just a couple sources to assist you in knowing labwear and what it's called.

patnor1011 said:
Hi gents and ladies.
I am struggling with my English and I am trying to look for something I cant really put a name on. Like I have no idea what to look for or how to call it.

Basically I am looking for some whatchamacallit like you see in the labs - stuff which holds different flasks and equipment. It is made from rods and screws and stuff. I am thinking like lego bricks - you can build anything from them so I just need to figure out where to look for and what is it generally called if there is some specific term for it. I am thinking like threaded rods with different nuts, bolts to let you build stuff at different angles and such. I have a terrible problem even explain what I am looking for but it is something like on picture I am adding, I just want to find out if there is a possibility to get some quantity of stuff like that to build custom constructions.

I just bought the set that you have in the picture from AliExpress. It looks the same, if not it is very very similar.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33001711559.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.291a4c4d3pyj7s

I bought this to have an example so I can design and make my own. But if you plan using this, please beware the low quality. It is very low quality. If you plan using this frequently, please by a better quality. But it served its purpose for me.

Joey

Back