Potential use for used coconut carbon water filters?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BShan

Hey y'all!

I recently replaced the carbon filters on my drinking water system. So now I have two cylinders that I was gonna trash, but I was curious if they would be useful in the future? My future plans include building a small reaction fume scrubber, and while it's not on my roadmap, I have been reading about a few other leaching methods that make use of adsorbing gold onto carbon.

I see that the scrubber fill is generally peroxide solutions and a final hydroxide solution to neutralize whatever gets through, so I reckon maybe it won't be useful for that project. The main recovery method I plan on using (eventually) is CuCl to leach baser metals, so I don't think I'd need it for that. But I'm still in reading mode, surely there's lots I'm missing, and lots of experience knowledge that I would never stumble across naturally.

Is there any use in holding on to these to clean and reuse somehow? And, is dirty carbon even cleanable anyways without some fancy vaccuum oven thing?

Thanks,
BShan

Back