formula for ppm to troy oz.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loco

I had lost alot of info in notes I had on a laptop that was stolen. Can someone post for information on converting ppm to grams or troy oz. from an assay. I had an assay pulled on some material and I got the ppm reults just can't remember how to roughly figure out the material. thanks so much.

-Rich

ok sorry I guess maybe I didn't give enough information. for arguement sake lets say I have 1,000 lbs of material, and I have the ppm assay results how can I estimate the metal value of the material.

1 ppm mean 1 part per million or 0.0001%

Let say your material has 500ppm of gold, you have:

500 x 0.0001% = 0.05% gold

ok found these by seraching as well. Are these accurate??

1 ppm = 1 gram
1 gram = .03215 troy oz
31.1034768 grams = 1 troy oz

I know the latter 2 are correct but am not sure if the above mentioned 1ppm = 1 gram is accurate.

thanks Oz that's what I was thinking but I googled it and there was a site claiming that to 1 ppm = 1 gram.

by the way I am dealing with converter material here, if that helps. thanks again guys.

- Rich

It does not mater what the material is but if you have 1 million grams of converter material then 1 PPM = 1 gram. Does it make sense that way?

Oz said:
It does not mater what the material is but if you have 1 million grams of converter material then 1 PPM = 1 gram. Does it make sense that way?

1 PPM = 1 milligram per Kilogram= 1 gram per Metric Ton (2200 Lbs)

I was trying to make the illustrative point of what PPM is but it is far more useful as Irons put it as most times you will find PPM the rest of the data will be metric. Just in case there is a question, there is indeed 1 million grams in a metric ton.

I have always appreciated the simplicity of the metric system, except when having to convert it to or from other systems. The nice thing to remember is that the gram is the same the world around.

Thanks for putting it into a more useful format Irons.

Oz said:
I was trying to make the illustrative point of what PPM is but it is far more useful as Irons put it as most times you will find PPM the rest of the data will be metric. Just in case there is a question, there is indeed 1 million grams in a metric ton.

I have always appreciated the simplicity of the metric system, except when having to convert it to or from other systems. The nice thing to remember is that the gram is the same the world around.

Thanks for putting it into a more useful format Irons.

You're quite welcome. Now if we can only get the troglodyte peckerwoods. to quit referring to the Metric system as a communist plot designed to bring down our way of life.

That is too funny! The only beneficiary I see to the multiplicity of measuring systems we have would be the tool manufacturers. For mechanical work I need 3 sets of tools, Standard, Metric, and British Whitworth.

Since masses are often quoted in cubic centimeters it might be useful to some to know that 1 cubic centimeter is equal to one milliliter, both measurements of volume. That can be very nice in determining the volume of irregular materials and comparing it to known masses of elements or alloys based in cubic centimeters. I would think most here own a beaker or a more accurate graduated cylinder

I use traditional U.S. (the last bastion) and like it for certain things. I also use metric for some things and troy for some things. All three can be handy. Among these, I probably have at least 100 conversions memorized. In our business, all are used and all should be learned in order to prevent confusion.

1 cubic centimeter is equal to one milliliter

And, of course, they both contain very close to one gram of water.

The answer to your question is: enter the ppm number in your calculator and divide by 34.286 and that will be the weight in troy ounces.
MacT

macturney said:
The answer to your question is: enter the ppm number in your calculator and divide by 34.286 and that will be the weight in troy ounces.
MacT
Easy answer and wrong. The question was wrong at the start, like asking how many square foot there are per meter. Notice that I didn't say square meter.

Whatever your sample weight is, divide it by a million and multiply it by the ppm value. ppm means parts per million.

For example 7 ppm of 3400 ounces. That would be (3400/1000000)*7 = 0.0034*7=0.0238 ounces.

If you have a ton of ore then a ppm is a gram. If you have a million ounces of ore then a ppm is one ounce.

And on that note... can someone from the other side of the Atlantic explain how much a yard is when talking about mining, it drives me crazy to hear the people talking about yards when discussing how much material they run through the wash plant. Is it cubic yards or something else?

You must be crazy to continue using measurements based on the body size of some ancient English king. Come join the rest of the world using the communistic system developed by the French revolutionaries during the French revolution in 1799. It's about time.... :lol:

Going back to your answer I would say that you need to look up the difference between avoirdupois and troy ounce. precious metals are measured in troy ounces... unless you use metric, then it's easy.

What you say? You measure volume in ounces too... I'm outta here. :wink:

Göran

snoman701 said:
Lol...a yard is 3 feet (36 inches) just short of a meter.
That was what I was thinking, but they run 300 yards per hour through a washplant in Goldrush Alaska...

Göran

Yeah....it's a lot of dirt. A yard is a lot of dirt when all you've got is a shovel!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use all sorts of units in calculations but, for thinking purposes, I prefer units that I can visualize. I can visualize an inch but not a centimeter - unless I think of a cm as ~0.4 inches. A mile but not a km - unless I think of a km as ~0.6 miles. A pound but not a kg - unless I think of it as ~2.2 pounds. Visualizing a mm is totally out of the question unless I put it in terms of it being 1/25.4 part of an inch - between 1/32" and 1/16" (both of which I can visualize). It's impossible for me to think in terms of meters. The only metric units that I have fully adapted to and like better are the liquid measurements of 3.7849 liters or less. Anything greater, it's a tossup as to whether I use gallons or liters. However, if I had a figure of 138 liters, I would always divide it by 4 and approximate the gallons when doing it in my head. I'm not real big on working with quarts and I always think of a fluid ounce as being almost 30ml. And, of course, a ton is 2000 avoirdupois pounds. It contains 29,166 troy ozs. One thousand kg, or ~ 2204 pounds, isn't a ton in my book. It's a metric ton. It contains 32,150 troy oz.

A yard (actually, it's a cubic yard) is 27 ft3. I can visualize a yard - it's a cube that comes up to my navel (I'm 5Ft-9in = 175cm tall). A ft3 will contain 7.5 gallons. A ft3 is one and a half 5 gallon buckets.

And then there's a cup, a tablespoon, a teaspoon, a pinch, a tad, a smidgen, a dash, and a passel.

The original question, asked 8 years ago, makes no sense. Ppm is a measure of concentration. Troy ounce is a measure of weight or mass. Apples and oranges.

Are you talking about short or long tons? :mrgreen:

What feels good is what we are used to.

A meter is the length between my shoulder and the tip of my other hand, perfect for counting meters of cable when installing equipment, 10 kilos is what I can hold with my arm straight out.
A dm is a tenth of a meter, a cubic dm is the same as a liter or a 1/1000 of a cubic meter. A ml is a 1/1000 of a liter, making a ppm of a cubic meter a cubic cm. A cubic meter of water is a ton and a ppm of a ton is a gram.
There is 1000 meters in a kilometer, there is a 1000 grams in a kilogram, a ton should really be called a megagram but that's a small quirk. Then we have micrometer that is 1/1000 000 of a meter, nanometer is 1/1000 000 000 of a meter, picometer is smaller than an atom (atoms are in the size of 100 pm or Ångström... named after a very small Swede :D ).

So if there is 10 mg per kilo how much is it per ton... 10 g per ton. No need for long calculations, it is easily done by shifting the decimal or changing the prefix.
People working with electronics is used to the different prefixes, pico (10-12), nano (10-9), micro (10-6), milli (10-3), kilo (103), mega (106), giga (109)
Other than that I can't think of any conversions I need to memorize.

Oh... yes, water freezes at zero degrees and boils at 100. That is something most people have experienced. Making freeze mixtures by mixing ice and salt not as commonly.

Metric is even easier to spell than ardivoipuo... ardovipou... pounds and ounces. :mrgreen:

Göran

goldsilverpro said:
I use all sorts of units in calculations but, for thinking purposes, I prefer units that I can visualize. I can visualize an inch but not a centimeter - unless I think of a cm as ~0.4 inches. A mile but not a km - unless I think of a km as ~0.6 miles. A pound but not a kg - unless I think of it as ~2.2 pounds. Visualizing a mm is totally out of the question unless I put it in terms of it being 1/25.4 part of an inch - between 1/32" and 1/16" (both of which I can visualize). It's impossible for me to think in terms of meters. The only metric units that I have fully adapted to and like better are the liquid measurements of 3.7849 liters or less. Anything greater, it's a tossup as to whether I use gallons or liters. I'm not real big on quarts and I always think of a fluid ounce as being almost 30ml. And, of course, a ton is 2000 avoirdupois pounds. It contains 29,166 troy ozs. One thousand kg, or ~ 2204 pounds, isn't a ton in my book. It's a metric ton. It contains 32,150 troy oz.

A yard (actually, it's a cubic yard) is 27 ft3. I can visualize a yard - it's a cube that comes up to my navel (I'm 5Ft-9in = 175cm tall). A ft3 will contain 7.5 gallons. A ft3 is one and a half 5 gallon buckets.

And then there's a cup, a tablespoon, a teaspoon, a pinch, a tad, a smidgen, a dash, and a passel.

The original question, asked 8 years ago, makes no sense. Ppm is a measure of concentration. Troy ounce is a measure of weight or mass. Apples and oranges.

That's really funny, and it goes to show our education, and the change over the last, what? 40 years? I can picture everything, gram, mm, cm, m, km, ml, 6ml, 12ml 20ml 35ml 60ml then it goes 355 ml then 1L, but then I'm done...can't do kg, . But i can't picture a liquid ounce (after thinking about it, a shot glass)...1 lb, can do. I remember cm, mL etc from learning units. There was a plastic cube in school, 1 mL, 10 mL, 100 mL & 1L...it had cubes & rectangular shapes that were to scale that nested all together. Inches offer no such easity. Who can remember how many cubic inches there are in a gallon, or in a liquid ounce....and then pound, at least it's traditionally written in decimal. Might as well use stones.

Back