Is that brass in my scrap ??

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trooper123

Hello All,

How can you tell if you're looking at gold or brass?? Hit it with nitric? I was taking apart some cell phones and I just -- assumed --- the little "nut" fittings pressed into the plastic housing was just brass untill I came across a Nokia phone that seemed to be using this fitting as a conductor between two boards. If I'm not making myself clear, I could try to post a pic.

Thanks

Drop it in some nitric. If it is brass it will eat it up quickly. Leaving only the gold plating. Use Caution :!:

See attached :

Ralph

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=600

http://www.filesend.net/download.php?f=2dbe44aab41baff1c1e283db1318fec2

Attachments

• AQUILLA NITRIC ACID BURNS.doc
    1.6 MB · Views: 45
I can't imagine why the students where not wearing some sort of gloves. :shock:

The document definitely proves you should respect all acids when you are anywhere near them.

Good warnings Ralph.

Steve

aflacglobal said:
Drop it in some nitric. If it is brass it will eat it up quickly. Leaving only the gold plating. Use Caution :!:

Wrong approach! Do not place objects in acid to test them! Use a dispensing bottle with a dauber, and put a tiny amount of acid on the object. If you think it might be gold filled, file a notch and test the filed area.

There are many reasons to follow this advice, one of them being that you don't destroy your evidence. When testing, it's always a good idea to test only a tiny amount of what raises the question, so you have the balance to return to the rightful owner, or you have more material to do further testing. Wear gloves and eye protection.

Harold

Hi
What is the best way to find an object is gold plated or not gold plated?
For example how to tell an electronic scrap is gold plated or brass or etc?
Drop it in nitric ? ( Harlod said that is wrong )

Thanks

Back