My first attempt at refining, not quite yet but almost ready

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I have ordered 40lbs of scrap 16 bit cards and bought a e-book on the subject of scrap refining.

Here is a picture of the cards I will be receiving soon, I wanted to get your guys opinions on them:

40lbs.JPG

I am going to attempt to make a solution of sodium nitrate, water, and muriatic acid, in the e-book it says that a solution of 8oz sodium nitrate, 16oz water, and 32oz muriatic acid will dissolve 200 grams of mixed metals. ( I assume this means the total weight of all the fingers after I have cut them off the cards)

Later the e-book talks about using urea to remove the nitric acid and using sodium metabisulfite to bring the gold out of solution then washing it with ammonia and then battery acid.

To purify the gold it talks about re-dissolving the gold using the first solution but a smaller amount, and then washing it yet again using ammonia and then battery acid.

Lastly it gets to the step of melting the final purified gold using a cupel made from magnesia, I wanted to get your guys opinion of the size of the cupel in this picture as I don't have a oxy-mapp gas torch yet to tell the size of it:

cupel.JPG

I plan on buying protective head and face gear with acid gas protection most likely the one Noxx posted here:

http://goldrefining.110mb.com/img/mask.jpg

Also I wanted to ask where you guys get your gloves, and what the best kind with protection from heat/acid would be?

Thank you in advance for your help.
-Chris

the cup looks to be a 2 1/4 or 1/2 cup, general size id say although there is a wide range up sizes and style out there.

The mask however, depends, i prefer a half face mask for one reason, smelting, you cant easily fit eye protection under a full face. I just were goggles when using the chemical and put on my torch glasses for smelting. check out this site, they have several brands, you may be able to get some off ebay, but they also have the acid gas filters which are what key in chemical acid use. http://www.professionalequipment.co...ridge-1-pair-for-3m-gas-mask-6002/3M-filters/ That will take you straight to a acid gas filter package for 3m 6000 and 7000 series, you can browse the site for other ideas.

I personally use nitrile gloves, they have done me good so far for acid use in a cell, but you can probably get regular chemical resistant golves a home depot, or lowes or walmart. however i find they bulking and annoying to use and tend to go bare hand (which is dumb, so i use nitrile now)

Im sure there will be other ideas commin up so hopefully your question will be answered in full.

Back