Another drop- guess how much

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldscraphobby

Getting ready to drop this. Anyone want to guess how much I'll get.
The color is a darker yellow and greater volume so I would expect it to be more then the last drop
20170816_185456.jpg

I have no clue how much water is in the dilute gold chloride solution (if that is what the yellow solution is).
I could possibly have a better guess if the solution did not have all of that water involved.
I also do not know if the solution is from aqua regia or HCl and sodium hypochlorite which would make a big difference as to the concentration (even if it was concentrated) as the bleach poor mans solution will hold much more water and usually less pH and will begin to form salts if very concentrate.

Taking into consideration that for 1 gram of gold it takes approximately 3.8ml of HCl (azeotrope at 20.2% HCl, or 80% H2O), and 0,95ml HNO3 (azeotrope at 68% HNO3, 32% H2O) for every gram of gold.

Or approx. 118ml HCl and 29.5ml HNO3 per troy ounce of gold.

And upon concentration, when we remove the water and the HNO3 the concentrate (ruby red gold chloride concentrated solution (should hold) somewhere around, a troy ounce of gold salts suspended in a solution of 26ml of AuCl3 beautiful ruby red solution.

I feel it would be useless for me to even try to guess how much water, nitric, bleach, pee, or even gold chloride is in the yellow solution of 2,500 ml with very little gold in that much volume.

The volume is due to overzealous rinsing of the filters, wanted to make sure I got all the yellow off. I tore a couple filters and had to re filter and rinse etc.

Sorry it was just meant for fun. No prizes being given.

Anyway its a lot less then I was thinking.
I must have switch the two solutions because I thought this was the one with a lot and seems the color does not always matter?

Its was just rinsed and now settling. I'll decant and dry but will be away a few days so the suspense will have to hold.
Jon

Hehe Jon

I think we're all engaged in some good natured joshing here. 8)

I hope its a good amount

Jon

29.16 g

Just to grab the opportunity to steal 50% of 4metals experience. :lol:

Göran

Back