Welcome In!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jo418

:D Welcome In guys :D
Present your self to the rest of the community, feel free to add things :wink:

Name :
Sex :
Profession :
Hobbies :
Interests :
How long have you been refining gold or have interest in precious metals? :
What are you looking for in our community? :
How did you discover our Forum? :

Name : Jonathan Langevin
Sex : Male
Profession : School Boy!
Hobbies : Soccer, Computers, Pyro
Interrests : New things, Money, Sports
How long have you been refining gold? : Never did, I want to learn
What are you looking for in our community? : I'm here to support my friend Noxx and learn about gold refining, and help if I can.
How did you discovered our Forum? : By a friend (Noxx)
Other : Hi everyone, I dont know nothing in gold refining, but my friend Noxx has been doing for a few years, Im here to learn, have fun, and make this community grow. Feel free to PM me about anything. A little bit more about me, well im a party guy, I dont smoke, I have learned by Noxx to do Pyrothecnics as well.

Name : Jon Elson
Sex : M
Profession : electrical engineer
Hobbies : machining, computer tinkering, making gadgets
Interrests :same as above ?
How long have you been refining gold? :18 months
What are you looking for in our community? :some help improving the process
How did you discovered our Forum? :message in rec.crafts.metalworking
Other

Hi my name is Mark and thought I would introduce myself before I learn too much from yous smart folks. Been enjoying the posts and tutorials here. Anybody done any refining of placer gold? I had a good season last year, when I got home from the last trip I got a phone call that I had won 6 oz in a fundraiser.
FSCN0257.jpg

Working on some ideas- I like the urban approach you all seem to use but seems everybody is doing it- gold is gold wherever you can find it.
Anybody know about platinum- it is said that the black sands in my area contain plat. I sent a sample to an inet friend and he looked at it through his stereoscope and said I had plat in there. He said the black sand would easily crush but the plat looked like lil pieces of metal under the scope. Anyone know how I could find out for sure? I hear Plat is hard to work with but don't want to be throwing away a fortune in it neither as there is tons and tons of black sand.
Anyways I am here, Mark
I would like to add that I hope to be able to add to the community some insights and another perspective but right now I am full of questions. I did inherit an odd lot of chems from my mining buddy that passed a couple years ago but have only used a little of the nitric he had left.

ME CO,

Are you in the Santa Cruz area?

Some info on working with black sands.

There is a lot of magnetic material in black sands that should first be removed with a magnet. Then grind your left over material as fine as you can. 400 mesh or better. Then roast it at about 500 degrees for about an hour to burn off some of the other impurities.

Then an acid treatment of aqua regia. Right here is where you can get in to trouble because of the possible palladium or rhodium or gold. You would want to drop any gold first with sodium meta bisufilte. Ammonium chloride for you platinum.

Before you take any time to start recovering and refining you should do some testing first. Just to see what you have and also to get used to working with the different chemicals. Do small batches of 10 or 20 grams to begin with.

Above all ME CO-----don't do anything with out proper safety

ventilation
gloves
goggles etc.

The gases produced by aqua regia and the other acids is incredibly dangerous.

You may even want to send a sample off to have an assay done.

If you are wanting to work the black sands near Santa Cruz--there is info online of geology reports about those deposits. They were used heavily in the early 1900s for pig iron to make sash weights for windows etc.

During the depression though--the beaches from Santa Cruz to San Francisco were mined for Gold and Platinum. Using sluice boxes lined with copper and mercury to recover the precious metals.

AgAuPtRh

Welcome ME CO !
I hope you will find what you're looking for over here.

Maybe if you want I could create a new forum section for:
Precious metals recovering from sands ?

Thanks for the reply. No I'm not in CA- I'm in CO, the Arkansas River where I dredge is thick in black sands. I don't plan to do anything about Plat recovery till I learn some more and have room to do it- just wanted to toss that out there. Is there a chemical test for plat? I just won't be dumping any more out till I find out for sure.
Thanks again, Mark

There is a precious metal testing solution really easy to make but you first need to have your metals dissolved to test it...

I think I'll waite till I have room to check out the Plat.
Noxx the forum is fine the way it is- I have othe places I go to talk placer recovery. I'm trying to get the ultimate recovery out of ME golddredge this year, every year gets better, this one should be the best possible haha. Going after gold so small its not good for nothin but melting together which is why I'm here. Got two weeks for the river first part of May- hope to do real well this time (make wages), maybe I will have something to show you all. Mark

ME CO said:
Anybody done any refining of placer gold?

Yes, I have. Many, many ounces. Even some reclaimed with mercury. Is there anything I might be able to help you with?

Harold

Thanks Harold. I was just curious right now as most here are recycling- I'm in the collection phase right now- but now I know where to get answers when I have some questions. Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,
I'm another miner is the NC/SC region. I have also found Pt, but for me it would take a large operation to recover and process it. I have found a 1grain pellet of Pt, but the rest is evenly dispersed throughout the strata.

This site has some good ideas for recovery and recycling Au. I wonder if there is a method for reverse plating Pt? Most of the blacksands I work are nothing more than powdered pigiron from a pre-Revolution to 1916 foundry. If there is a method/solution that would reverse plate Pt and Au, it would work well for me.

Name: Chuck Staton
Profession: Dockworker/unemployed
Hobbies: Mining, precious metals recycling/recovery
How long: Mining, 30yrs Precious Metals Recovery/Recycling 1yr.

Chuck

Name : Joshua Lo
Sex : male
Profession : student / investments
Hobbies : GOLD...
Interrests : GOLD...
How long have you been refining gold? : not refining just some gold processing
What are you looking for in our community? : knowledge
How did you discovered our Forum? : google

Welcome Joshua !
I think you're the first one who as been referred by google !
In your profile, you share something very similar to me.
I will tell it tomorrow in «My Life» post. ;)

Name : Andrew M.
Sex : Male
Profession : Pawnbroker, Pilot
Hobbies : Building Stuff, Paintball
Interests : Aviation, Politics, History
How long have you been refining gold? : Haven't started yet ;)
What are you looking for in our community? : Practical information regarding a hobbyists approach to refining gold.
How did you discovered our Forum? : Google!
Other : I've been lurking around here for the past week or so and decided I'd introduce myself. I'm a pawnbroker by trade so I see quite a bit of karat jewelry which I am going to start refining once I get some time. I'm also in the process of acquiring electronics scrap for deplating. Thank you!

Welcome Andrew. I have some experience refining karat gold. If you need any help, do not hesitate to post on the forum or to ask by PM.

Greetings Everyone,

My name is Jim, and been collecting and selling off E-Scrap locally for about 3 years now in Northeast Massacusetts.

I was shocked when I found this forum by a google search, as I have no knowledge of Chemistry and found this bounty of helpful info.

I had a long career in Medical Device Mfg, in Engineering support. That covered a lot of ground, but learning Engineering and Material specifications has been my reward.

I now work in law, but want to learn how I can refine my own gold from boards and other electronic components.

The Scrap Metal yards are NOT very generous.

Thanks again, and keep up the good work.

Back