Where have I been?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joekbit

First I would like to apologize for my lack of activity on the forum.

When I first endeavored into scrap recovery about 2 years ago it was my full intention to build it into a business. I knew it would take time, so I just kept it as a hobby, read, researched, studied and processed. I made a contact with a large salvage company over a year ago and worked on building trust, and a friendship with the owner. I did this by showing him the gold I recovered from dumpster diving and selling him my left over scrap.

About a month ago I sold him my scrap from about 20 tower units and asked if he would sell me 2 mega media "on-demand" server units he had in his lot. He agreed at 15 cents per pound. I got them home and went to work. Initial recovery was just over 3 grams Au in 2 days. So I took the casings and unwanted martial back, I recovered 2x my purchase cost from that alone. Then I showed him once again a gold drop and told him where I got it, "the media units". His eyes popped out. Then he asked the question, would you be interested in a partnership? :D

So it begins, after a year and a half of developing a relationship the effort has paid off. A bit about the company. Much to my surprise, He currently holds the electronic salvage contract with NASA and most of our local industrial facilities. In the last 2 weeks, just processing material samples, 1 ounce at a time for base line values. has yielded over 5% by volume, over 10 grams Au. My total combined time about 24 working hours. wow! :shock: Me, I'm still wondering when will I wake from this, is this real.

He, or we, currently have over 40 tons, base weight, of scraped electronics from the Space Shuttle program. Production dates 1986 - 1992. It may not be politically correct, but, pray for me.

We are currently trying to get an onsite lab together, any and all input, ideas, suggestions on equipment would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all on the forum, Harold and Steve most of all, for keeping me straight.

Well done just make sure you play it straight, if your new partner is as connected to the big boys as he claims he is no fool, together I see a potential for a really good business, he can source material you can process it, both should be winners.

nickvc said:
Well done just make sure you play it straight, if your new partner is as connected to the big boys as he claims he is no fool, together I see a potential for a really good business, he can source material you can process it, both should be winners.
Well said and very well heard. Trust is the most important factor. We met today to select the building for the lab and discuss the other very important issues, "Safety", Environmental and preliminary equipment. My list was well received, and the building was chosen and agreed upon.

I think my seriousness and somewhat stern attitude on not starting anything until that list of criteria was met was just what he wanted to see. We also agreed on Rocky Mountain Reagents as our chemical supplier. So a lot of things went very well today at our meeting.

As far as play it straight, my words to him were nothing goes with me to my lab for base line testing unless I buy it. That's the least I can do, and it leaves no questions as to my integrity. I have done this a number of times and returned in a few hours with numbers and results in nugget form. Nothing quite like a 6 gram piece of .999 Au to get a persons attention. We are both very excited about the potential.

thanks for the input

If your new partner has the contacts then you may easily get to the point that you can't afford to pay upfront, it might be a case of showing him the start of the process with a given amount then photos perhaps as the processing proceeds and get him to witness the precipitation and finally melt, also lint out that you will not get 100 % of the values first time, gain his trust so all he does is ship material to you, even suggest security cameras in the unit with remote recording, it's good for insurance too, that he can access, point out you have nothing to hide so he's welcome to watch whenever he wants.
He might well turn down some of the ideas but at least you have offered him that option.
Good luck and keep us all posted, I love success stories.

Photo0045.jpg
The image? 1.5 lbs of some of the chips we have. Test run on 16 of them produced .9 grams, 145+ in the photo and many more to come. Numerous Motorola chips in this salvage

Oh by the way, it's only water in the beaker. The chips were very dirty, some even had mud and leaves on them, so i washed them with water then took the picture.

That is some strange chips... could you post a close up of one with legs missing from the middle? So the model number can be read.

Göran

g_axelsson said:
That is some strange chips... could you post a close up of one with legs missing from the middle? So the model number can be read.

Göran
the mod # ISo102
so far the drop has produced 12 grams. so my estimate on the test run of $2 USD per chip was close.

I had some minor issues with the drop, Au just did not want to come out. First pass with SMB 8.79 grams. but I kept getting positive for Au with stannous chloride. So I added some CuSO4, that did it, the Au dropped, test result finally showed negative for Au. All I have to do is a final rinse on the chips.

Has anyone ever dealt with Northern Refineries in Michigan? We have a massive amount of silver wire coming out of this material, way to much for us to refine. So if anyone has input on that matter it would be a great help.

I can't help you about the refinery but I would suggest running a test on say 100 grams to determine the quality of the silver and to check to see if there are any other values present.
You may be lucky and have fine silver to start with, in which case phone a few companies and ask for a quote for it, if you have really big volumes you should get close to spot price.

joekbit said:
He, or we, currently have over 40 tons, base weight, of scraped electronics from the Space Shuttle program. Production dates 1986 - 1992. It may not be politically correct, but, pray for me.

I would kill* to own a piece of STS history. What sort of small bits or modules do you have?

* Offer limited to vermin or for-food purposes only.

nickvc said:
I can't help you about the refinery but I would suggest running a test on say 100 grams to determine the quality of the silver and to check to see if there are any other values present.
You may be lucky and have fine silver to start with, in which case phone a few companies and ask for a quote for it, if you have really big volumes you should get close to spot price.
We will be running tests to determine the content of the wire.

Just an FYI if you have access to space program junk/scrap check eBay and see what memorabilia is selling for. I junked some parts out of a house a few years back that were mostly aluminum which I found out later were some mock-up test parts for a strut on one of the Apollo missions which the man who's estate it was helped develop in the 1960's. Not all that glitters is gold!! :oops:

I don't know about the contract for "all" of NASA's escrap--in fact, I'd bet my bottom dollar that he might have credemtials allowing him to buy from government entities but no exclusive contract. That stuff goes to the auction block, sometimes for very close to what it's worth. Heck there was an auction that had a 3 million dollar reserve. Don't think that their engineers don't have a clue as to content--they do!

Did you guys get your environmental permitting in yet?

Lou said:
I don't know about the contract for "all" of NASA's escrap--in fact, I'd bet my bottom dollar that he might have credemtials allowing him to buy from government entities but no exclusive contract. That stuff goes to the auction block, sometimes for very close to what it's worth. Heck there was an auction that had a 3 million dollar reserve. Don't think that their engineers don't have a clue as to content--they do!

Did you guys get your environmental permitting in yet?

No, this is a full blown, NASA pays him to come and get / remove. At that point it's his to do with as he wants. My job is isolation of precious metals material for recovery. I find, isolate, sell, and extract what I can at our location.

Yes it is Lou, to date over 1oz just testing the easy stuff and added income for the rest. I told him I could double his investment, he did not believe me, so I asked what he wanted. He said 10% above, this week we did 3x investment. Made a nice check for 12 hours of work.

The gold is just an added bonus.

Man I love my job. :lol:

Back