Hello from the Pacific northwest

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IdahoMole

Supporting Member
Over the last eight months I have journeyed from buying silver bullion to coin hunting/collecting to buying/selling silver and gold scrap to the idea of doing my own refining on the hobby for profit level. I have always been a tinkerer (thus my love for brewing and distilling). I have a few hundred grams of gold filled jewelry, mostly watch bands. Although I understand it may not be the best choice I am leaning towards the AP process due to the area I am in and the ease of getting the acid.
The forum here is amazing and I want to thank everyone for devoting their time and effort to it. Now off to do some more reading!

Welcome to the forum IdahoMole. If you haven't done so yet, read through the Tips for Navigating and Posting on the Forum thread to get you off to a good start here. Be sure to download Hoke's book from the links in my signature line below. We've also collected and edited some of the forum's best threads in The Library. Best of luck!

Dave

Welcome to the forum!

I may be going to idaho soon to pick up a 2001 impreza rs!
But, really i would use almost any excuse to get up that way.. That part of the country is beautiful.

You found the perfect place to learn about refining.

Heed Dave's words, for he is a very wise man.

Hoke's book is our bible.
This forum is our library.

Gold filled watch bands, if it were me, i would separate the caps from the (most likely) stainless bands, and process the caps in nitric.

But, you will learn all about those methods Im sure.

-topher

I wanted to pop in and let everyone know what's going on for myself. I am still here and reading like mad. I have stepped back from my toying with a home built shor simplicity knock off and realized it is time to learn. I am reading Hoke and slowly acquiring equipment, safety gear, glass wear, etc. along with a small amount of materials for future experiments and refining. I currently have a place to do small scale projects but the future problem of where to do any serious refining is not yet solved.
I have read so many posts on this site over the last few weeks I feel I am getting to know some of you, Harold, Steve, GSP, Kadriver, and others. Harold, you seem like a guy I would love to meet someday. I think I could listen to your stories all night long while sharing some nice bourbon. My treat!
Thanks for the site gang and the time you put into it.

Back