What I do

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snoman701

So I didn't do much of a job introducing myself with the "chemistry is all mixed up" post.

I'm your normal mid-thirties trainwreck that's looking for lifes answers. I been living paycheck to uh-oh, payday isn't for another week and a half. Today is an especially frustrating day, as I sat down to pay the bills.

Anyway...I went to school to become a mechanical/electrical engineer. Something didn't click, mostly that I present myself in a very cold, mechanical and arrogant way, even though there's not much further from the truth. Oh, and I'm high functioning autistic, aspergerish to be specific.

So anyway, mechanical engineering dropout, education dropout, art major (ceramics and jewelry) dropout, straight up physics and science...dropout. I've worked a lot of different technical jobs, even went back to school to become a veterinary technician. I absolutely loved the vet tech gigs. I was really good at managing difficult anesthesia, as well as assisting in surgery. (university level medicine)

The last six years or so, I've had a daughter, and have been busy dissecting the behaviors that have put me where I'm at...and trying really hard to change.

I'm a good fabricator, reasonable machinist, and have my own shop...but working to print doesn't really fulfill, I want more control. I've been doing more and more artsy stuff, which is awesome, because it maintains my technical interest, but also allows artistic expression. But it's a difficult business to get going.

Oh, and I buy junk and resell it. Machinist tooling, electrical equipment, antiques, collectibles, scientific equipment, etc.

Finally, we moved to the country in October. So the last couple of months have been spent making mistake after mistake. Trying to get my shop together. Trying to learn to use my electicity to my advantage. Ultimately, trying to be self employed...something I've taken stabs at before, but never a full on try.

So where does the refining fit in to all of this? I don't really know yet. I'm just drawn to it. Somewhere between buying and reselling and the artistic interests, as well as the analytical sciencey stuff.

So there ya go, a proper introduction where I hopefully don't come off as arrogant.

Here's a couple examples of jobs I've done a lot of the work on.

Attachments

• basement.jpg
    basement.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 216
  • basement_2.jpg
    basement_2.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 216
Well hell fire buddy, welcome to the board. Lol. You sound like there is a lot of diversion in you which like myself is something to be very proud of. Could you imagine how boring it would be if you just did 1 thing. Oh boy. Anyways nice introduction my man. :D :G

Nice work, and nice intro. Definitely not coming off as arrogant, self-deprecating is more like it, hehe.

I feel you on making the leap to self-employment. I'm on the cusp of doing the same thing having pretty much "had it up to here" with my government job. Having my ultimate boss (rhymes with "stump") act entirely dismissive of my career field isn't helping matters, either.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

upcyclist said:
Having my ultimate boss (rhymes with "stump") act entirely dismissive of my career field isn't helping matters, either.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

I know how you feel and I'm in the private sector with a very similar boss. My back is tough as nails from all the bus tire tracks on it.

Thanks guys.

Wife is a teacher, it's hard to not take the changes currently being implemented on a federal level very personally, especially when you've been taking pay cuts for the last ten years.

I like to think that everyone really thinks that they are doing the right thing, even if what they think is the right thing seems completely idiotic to myself, or even the rest of the world!! I don't like to think that there are many people out there that purposely try to inflict pain upon others, even if their actions might suggest otherwise.

Back