Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CuSEESafe

Hello all,

I came by this forum by accident to be honest...

I am an industrial Safety Manager in the metals industry, currently working in a secondary copper foundry/Mill.

My facility is considering branching out in a new production line, which prompted me to start performing a lot of research into areas in my field that I have no personal experience... and due to industrial competition do not feel at liberty to seek out information from personal contacts that may be in direct competition...

With that being said... I have 25 years in the metal industry, primarily copper, but some steel as well...

I have a formal background in safety/engineering/business management... and first hand experience in starting out in a Mill setting on the floor in production and later as a Lab Tech in a copper metallurgy lab...

I do have questions that I think some of you all may be able to address... but want to spend the time reading through previous posts to see if maybe my questions have not already been answered...

I registered so that I would have direct access to look at the forum topics as well as perform searches as the posts I have read came up through Google search...

I am definitely interested in reading through the Safety posts as that is directly related to my profession and am interested in seeing what others have already shared in regard to Safety and will try to add unobtrusively to that if I have first hand knowledge on a topic in regard to that...

In my experience there is a ton of information that has been learned and then forgotten over the ages in the metallurgy field due to informaton not being published or shared due to the fear of competitive advantage... I am not sure if I will be very active on here but will try to share any information I can while I am...

I have already gathered a lot of information that has been useful to me and for that I am grateful... sorry if there is any autocorrect or spelling issues as I am posting from my cell...

Sincerely,
Steve

Welcome aboard Steve.

We can learn a lot from each other, safety in this field, especially for the you tube educated is a major factor in this field and for the forum, and for all of its members (especially for the uneducated hobbyist with gold fever and no education of the Dangers.

Your presence and participation in this area will be greatly appreciated, and who knows maybe you will pick up some tricks for your tool box in the bargain.

my spell check may not catch all my errors either.
Cheers

Greetings, Steve.

I'm a definite newbie to the PM refining field but not so to the metals industry. Casting, forging, placer mining and architectural blacksmithing.

A lot of copper runs through my lineage though. My grandfather was a shift boss at the Cooper Queen mine in the ‘30s and ‘40s. My father and his four brothers worked underground at the mine as muckers while attending high school in Bisbee, AZ. One uncle became a mining engineer for Phelps Dodge.

My avatar is my touchmark forged into a bar of copper.

Copper – love it. But, PM’s first.

James

Thank you James... I was told by the old timers when I started in this industry that once I got copper in my blood that I would never leave the industry... 26 years later that has held true for me!

Steve,

Wow! Safety is the largest concern for anyone teaching the rigors of refining. A huge concern is those that don't realize the dangers. Those that "think" they know what they doing are of the very biggest concerns to me personally. The rest of us will benefit from a revisiting & an inside view of the technology of safety.

I appreciate your presence & welcome your further input.

Rachel

Back