Hello

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruku

Hello everybody, my name is Michał(Mike), I live in Poland on the Krakow city suburbs.
My age is 25, I am IT from education, but I've found a great inspiration in chemistry and gold refining as the way to change my life in many aspects.

I am learning refining since 4 month, I'm not even a beginner but yet I spend all my time on studying and making experiments in my basement. Ms Hoke gave me a very hard lesson, I would like to add, I've been very bad with chemistry at school, barely passed the class. :oops:

I've registered on the forum because everything I do is a big mistery for me and I'm trying to understand it with all my strenght and motivation. I am currently refining computer-waste scrap and dealing with problems I don't understand, but hopefully, with Ms Hoke at my side, everybody visiting the forum and the page itself, I'm gonna become a good rafiner one day !

Welcome In question about finding the source : internet research for a site helping to solve refining problems
Sorry for my English language, still workin' on it !

I would like to thank you all for this amazing source of knowledge and experience you have created.
PS:Already helped me twice.

I wish you all a good shiny day :G

Best regards, Kruku.

Kruku welcome to the forum.
We recommend all new members to read Hoke as it gives you the chemistry basis to understand much of what we discuss, it’s not too much use for e scrap as it didnt exist when Miss Hike wrote the book but the chemistry basics of much of our recovery and refining is covered but mainly through karat scrap refining.
Take your time and try and understand what she taught, it was written for non chemists, basically workshop owners and craftsmen who wanted more control over their waste products so it really helps the non chemists amongst us, me included.

Kruku said:
I am learning refining since 4 month, I'm not even a beginner but yet I spend all my time on studying and making experiments in my basement.
Witamy na forum Kruku.
(Welcome to the forum Kruku.)

I recommend you find somewhere other than your basement for your experiments. The fumes from any refining process are toxic and very corrosive. You will find everything in your basement beginning to rust and you're endangering yourself and anyone else in the house.

I also recommend one of the copies of Hoke's book from my signature line below. They include some safety warnings about some of the processes in her book that we no longer consider safe.

Best of luck,
Dave

Thank you for replies, the basement is build as a separate room not connected with anything else in my house, with massive wooden door, and a window above ground level, the air rotation(and light for watching fumes) is very good in this place. Walls are made out of cemented calcium and I've got nothing to rust inside the basement except a scythe my parents were using 20 years ago :p I've read a lot of safety rules before I even bought any chemistry equipment and reagents to make sure I am doing everything to not hurt myself and others counting animals too.

nickvc thats true, but yet I've already found her wisdom very helpfull in what I'm trying to recover, because every way to succed is by understanding the nature and reactions of metals. Profession makes no difference to me, I think I've finally found a chemistry teacher who enlightened me :)

FrugalRefiner thank you for wise advice, considering the fact I'm new with this tree of science it's very kind of you to keep the newcomers in good health condition :) I've studied the fumes, how they act, how I can get rid of them, I've got gas mask googles and good gloves from WW2 used by chemical troops, also I've got some space to work outside when the weather allows me to, basement is mostly for keep my stuff and some experiments when the weather is bad(rainy or very cold). Safety always comes first in my case, it's better to wait 1-2 days and read/learn about something I'm gonna do instead of blowing up my basement and myself. I will never forget this, promise.

PS: I'm working on fume hood and steam bath, yet, I need to get more money and time for this step. I'm gonna upgrade my basement in a close future.

Back