Not all that glitters is gold, and don't count your chickens til they hatch

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snoman701

Well, I made a stupid move.

I brought home a half pound of "silver solder" to do a recovery on, in hopes of buying a bunch.

Set it up in the hood...got that whole chunk digested. Had it sitting in a 1000 mL beaker for a couple days, as I didn't have anything large enough to cement it out in. Finally found a large jar, diluted my liquid. Then I couldn't find a suitable piece of copper bus. Waited another day until I was able to procure, dropped it in...

NOTHING

Not the slightest bit of cementation. What the heck...did I fall asleep at the wheel? Ran in the house and got the salt shaker...nope, no sleeping, I'm just an idiot.

Always do a small assay before committing chemicals, and waste...otherwise, waste away.

DOH

Assuming never gets anyone where they want to be.

I agree with GSP an assay would have been cheaper.

jimdoc said:
snoman701 said:
Never do, just assume it's there.

You assumed that there was silver also.

lol...I almost put that in the original post.

Thankfully, this was one of four samples and nitric is cheap (at least in the grand scheme).

But my point was all of my waste goes in the same bucket anyway...cadmium or no cadmium. I'm also not digesting in an open container.

Back