Goran and Gold Wiki . . .

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. Even the post on how to access the forum during the "drought" was helpful. It certainly curbed my withdrawal symptoms.

It was the least I could do.

If the forum hadn't come back I would have proposed to Noxx that we could give it an alternative domain name, forum.goldrefiningwiki.com, then I would have been able to add it to my DNS even if goldrefiningforum.com was blocked.

Now I came back home after a business trip and the forum came back up before I had time to propose anything.

If anything would happen to the forum in the future I will post updates on the wiki.

Göran

I believe Göran deserves a serving of his favorite beverage. If I can manage a few days either side of my nephews wedding in September, I will offer to make the drive from Copenhagen to pour.

I think the one thing that does need to be addressed is making sure the contents of the forum are safe for future use,we have thousands and thousands of hours of fantastic reading and knowledge that needs to be protected, no where else is there this much true and accurate data on recovery and refining of precious metals.

A weekly backup to a drive in the cloud sounds simple. I don't know the exact procedure and costs though.

nickvc said:
I think the one thing that does need to be addressed is making sure the contents of the forum are safe for future use,we have thousands and thousands of hours of fantastic reading and knowledge that needs to be protected, no where else is there this much true and accurate data on recovery and refining of precious metals.

I second this. The thought of the knowledge here being lost to time is staggeringly horrible. Also there needs to be a second person with the ability to deal with issues like the one we just had because there's just too much risk it all depending upon one person.

It would be good if Noxx could pick one other person to be entrusted with the site core details and the hosting and financial data so that in the event of anything untowards happening this doesn't happen again.

I know various people offered to pay if there was a financial problem, 4metals included, however it's the admin side that needs some backup.

Jon

anachronism said:
nickvc said:

I second this. The thought of the knowledge here being lost to time is staggeringly horrible. Also there needs to be a second person with the ability to deal with issues like the one we just had because there's just too much risk it all depending upon one person.

It would be good if Noxx could pick one other person to be entrusted with the site core details and the hosting and financial data so that in the event of anything untowards happening this doesn't happen again.

I know various people offered to pay if there was a financial problem, 4metals included, however it's the admin side that needs some backup.

Jon
Can the forum be put on cd or jump drive and sold? As a fundraiser for the forum.

This has been done on some other forums I'm on, then other ones where it has been suggested cite problems with copyright law.

I didn't realize we could get in the back way, I was sorta lost without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had tried to copy the site to save a few years back when I had DSL and it would have taken a very long time. Don't know how long it would take now with FIOS.

This is what I tried;
https://www.httrack.com/

There are a few tools to copy whole sites, but I'm not sure how it is legally.
What would be a possible way to do it, could be to make a shadow copy to another domain that is controlled by the forum/Noxx but without the traffic capabilities of the current forum.
Then one would have a working copy that should not cost much at all.
If a "disaster" should happen sometime in the future, the admins should have the tools to get it up and running quick.

Well I think we have a fair few who are capable of advising how it could be done but the point is it has to be under the auspices of the moderators and Noxx preferably with the copies been in at least two safe hands and in seperate places for security, the thought that the whole forum could just vanish is too terrible to think about :shock:

nickvc said:
Well I think we have a fair few who are capable of advising how it could be done but the point is it has to be under the auspices of the moderators and Noxx preferably with the copies been in at least two safe hands and in seperate places for security, the thought that the whole forum could just vanish is too terrible to think about :shock:

I can get the site copied tomorrow. That's not the problem, in fact I think I'll get it done because of the wealth of information here that personally I would hate to lose. This site is brilliant. My concern is that Noxx doesn't actually care that much. If he does then let's have it out in the open and work out a plan because as others have said, the info here is literally irreplaceable.

I'm gonna put myself in the firing line here as I usually do but the owner of RPM was literally foaming at the mouth about GRF going down because he thought his forum would then be top dog. 99% of the worthwhile info on his site is from GRF members so he needs to re-evaluate that position.

So, the owner of this site and his moderating team need to put together and present a plan that prevents this ever happening again because without this site we just get the dumbed down crap that's available elsewhere.

Jeff (Geo) learned his stuff here. Just like I did. I owe this place and so does he. BIG time. Without GRF I would be nothing in the refining world, so maybe the time has come to stop getting arsey about things and remember our roots.

anachronism said:
nickvc said:

I can get the site copied tomorrow. That's not the problem, in fact I think I'll get it done because of the wealth of information here that personally I would hate to lose. This site is brilliant. My concern is that Noxx doesn't actually care that much. If he does then let's have it out in the open and work out a plan because as others have said, the info here is literally irreplaceable.

I'm gonna put myself in the firing line here as I usually do but the owner of RPM was literally foaming at the mouth about GRF going down because he thought his forum would then be top dog. 99% of the worthwhile info on his site is from GRF members so he needs to re-evaluate that position.

So, the owner of this site and his moderating team need to put together and present a plan that prevents this ever happening again because without this site we just get the dumbed down crap that's available elsewhere.

Jeff (Geo) learned his stuff here. Just like I did. I owe this place and so does he. BIG time. Without GRF I would be nothing in the refining world, so maybe the time has come to stop getting arsey about things and remember our roots.

I second Jon's missive.

As a relative noob, I really shudder at the possible loss of this "go to" site and it's helpful inhabitants along with its treasure trove of past knowledge that can be mined.

If it's an issue of money, I would be willing to entertain a monthly fee to support GRF.

James

I truly hope members don't start trying to copy the entire site. Imagine the burden that will put on the servers, and the effect it will have on the rest of the members who are trying to get their daily fix. It could also cause Noxx some problems or additional cost with the web host.

The team is well aware of the value of the information here. We have a discussion going in the moderators forum about how to protect the information and how to prevent a similar occurrence in the future.

Noxx still cares about the forum. He devoted significant time in getting us back up and running, as well as updating some functions to get Geo back on.

Dave

Given the choice between losing the data on this forum through people not managing it properly and putting a bit of "strain on the servers" there's no competition.

You cannot be passive about this Dave because there is too much at stake. Will it be sorted out and redundantly covered or not? Yes or no?

Jon, if you have a problem with the way the forum is managed, or as you put it "through people not managing it properly", I suggest you take it up with Noxx. This is his forum to manage as he sees fit.

Dave

FrugalRefiner said:
Jon, if you have a problem with the way the forum is managed, or as you put it "through people not managing it properly", I suggest you take it up with Noxx. This is his forum to manage as he sees fit.

Dave

That's a cop out Dave. Rather than engage and give a meaningful answer you've just instead taken a defensive position like a sulky child. I'm being pretty forthright I accept that but it's out of love for the forum nothing else. Can't you see beyond your personal issues with me and see that? Obviously not.

Things don't get done unless people take a stand and say what needs to be said in this world. So if there's any help or financial assistance required to ensure this doesn't happen again then I'm offering it.

I'm sorry but I am cross that you've utterly misinterpreted what I was saying and your judgement there was clouded.

Regards

Jon

Jon, I tried to answer your questions the best I could. I'll leave it at that. If you want to discuss it further, you can address your issues with another moderator or Noxx.

Dave

I guess I don't understand what the big deal was. I have websites. I have four people trusted with the passwords should something happen to me.

If this was an issue of finances, there are members and moderators that would have charged it immediately.

All that needs to happen is have a set of passwords left with a trusted moderator so that should someone be out of town again, the other person can take care of any issues.

I think Jon's concern is valid...and while we may not need to know the gritty details, it is fair to ask if their is now a plan in place to see that it doesn't happen again.

This site is great not because of any one person or it's ownership, but because of the information freely given by it's members. Those members deserve to know that their advice is going to continue to be available.

snoman701 said:
I guess I don't understand what the big deal was. I have websites. I have four people trusted with the passwords should something happen to me.

If this was an issue of finances, there are members and moderators that would have charged it immediately.

All that needs to happen is have a set of passwords left with a trusted moderator so that should someone be out of town again, the other person can take care of any issues.

I think Jon's concern is valid...and while we may not need to know the gritty details, it is fair to ask if their is now a plan in place to see that it doesn't happen again.

This site is great not because of any one person or it's ownership, but because of the information freely given by it's members. Those members deserve to know that their advice is going to continue to be available.

Well stated! :D

Let's do it! (please :) ?)

James

Back