Scientists vote on new way to measure a kilogram.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cosmetal

Supporting Member
Ok, all you PhDs and geeks, does this mean we should wait until May 21, 2019 to sell our PMs (when the SI Kg might be an "eyelash" heavier)? :eek:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/13/world/kilo-measurement-scli-intl/index.html

"The reason for a proposed change to the International System of Measurement (SI) units, which the international community will vote upon on Friday, is that over time the prototype has lost atoms and therefore mass because it is "susceptible to damage and environmental factors," according to the National Physical Laboratory (NPL), which houses Kilo 18, Britain's copy of Le Grand K -- or the International Prototype Kilogram, (IPK) as it is officially known.

Le Grand K is compared to the various copies only once every 40 years, which makes the calibration potentially inaccurate. Though the change in mass is roughly equivalent to the weight of an eyelash, there could be wide repercussions.

If approved, the redefinition will come into effect on World Metrology Day on May 20. The conference is hosted by the International Bureau of Weights and Measures."

Rumor has it that Goran has a Kibble Balance set up in his living room. Maybe he could develop a GRF kilogram standard? :D

James

cosmetal said:
Rumor has it that Goran has a Kibble Balance set up in his living room. Maybe he could develop a GRF kilogram standard? :D
Only a rumor, when I'm in my living room I'm very unbalanced. :mrgreen:

:idea: Maybe this would be the perfect time to pick up some old kilo standard weights, I think they were made from a platinum alloy.
... I mean, with a new standard no one would miss the old kilo prototype, would they?

Göran

g_axelsson said:
cosmetal said:
Only a rumor, when I'm in my living room I'm very unbalanced. :mrgreen:

:idea: Maybe this would be the perfect time to pick up some old kilo standard weights, I think they were made from a platinum alloy.
... I mean, with a new standard no one would miss the old kilo prototype, would they?

Göran

They will probably just glue an "eyelash" to the old standard.

Back