carbon tax and the effect on refining and recycling

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmi2416

Hey guys,

I just wanted to see what some of yalls thoughts where on the carbon tax. It keeps coming up. Do you think it is a good thing?

Personally I feel that it will make the prices of scrap fall dramatically since now more companies will not be able to afford not to get rid of there scrap through proper means.
Also will this mean that recycling companies no longer will pay for scrap? And if they do can they issue carbon credit rebates instead of money since they are reducing the customers carbon foot print.

What about refiners what will the carbon tax do? Will they be exempt since the reduce carbon footprint while creating there own?

Just some questions I had about this. Wanted to know what some your Ideas about the cause and effect of this might be.

Regards,
Ross

I'm guessing this is a bad question or discussion. I apologize if it was offensive or not in context of the forum. feel free to delete if moderator or admin.

It may be a perfectly suitable question that is even on topic. I just fail to see how it is tied in to most types of refining members here do, or why it would no longer be viable to take scrap aluminum and copper in to a scrap yard because of a carbon tax.

Then again I am not up to date on the carbon tax proposals. Perhaps you could explain why this affects refining and scrap yards.

Well the carbon tax would limit the amount of waste business and individuals can create or have to pay for or be fined for anything over there allotted limit. making recycling stuff like electronics and all materials almost mandatory. This creating a flood of material. Not to mention that if scrap yards or recyclers lower there prices that they will pay for the scrap then business and individuals will have no choice because it will still be worth it to them. At least this is how I would see it playing out. Refiners on the other hand since they are taking waste and creating usable elements they are reversing there carbon footprint in theory so would they get carbon credits for doing so. Just a thought

If you want my thoughts----the idea of credits for such things is one of the most insane things man has concocted. It has a net effect of allowing some to profit at the hands of others, all the while doing nothing to lower a carbon footprint. In my opinion, it's the result of legislators presenting the illusion that they are doing something about a problem, when, in fact, they are doing nothing.

If I was to form an opinion that would describe this madness, I could consider the entire concept to be nothing more than an additional tax-----money absorbed by a money hungry government that is operated by individuals that have their own best interests in mind, not the welfare of the country.

I probably should have kept my political views to myself. I'll refrain form outbursts of this nature in the future.

Harold

Harold_V said:
I probably should have kept my political views to myself. I'll refrain form outbursts of this nature in the future.
Harold

This isn't really politics, it is an outright scam.
Oh yeah that is politics isn't it?

They want to sell or lease companies blocks of forest to offset their carbon footprint. They will probably lease or sell each plot to many different companies, like the precious metal ETFs.

Jim

Yeah I definatly do not agree with a new form of tax. You guys crack me up though. I was mostly worried about how it might effect the refining industry.

Harold_V said:
If you want my thoughts----the idea of credits for such things is one of the most insane things man has concocted. It has a net effect of allowing some to profit at the hands of others, all the while doing nothing to lower a carbon footprint. In my opinion, it's the result of legislators presenting the illusion that they are doing something about a problem, when, in fact, they are doing nothing.

Got it in one, Harold.

It also permits countries to continue to spew pollutants into the atmosphere.

Try visiting Hong Kong one day. The pollution there drifting over form the factories in China has to be seen to be believed.

The way to fix the problem is to ban trade with countries that don't clean up their act.

I read somewhere that last year eruption of Icelandic volcano pretty much erased all mankind efforts to reduce carbon footprint two times over. Is Iceland going to buy some more carbon credits? :twisted:

patnor1011 said:
I read somewhere that last year eruption of Icelandic volcano pretty much erased all mankind efforts to reduce carbon footprint two times over. Is Iceland going to buy some more carbon credits? :twisted:

I will trade them some carbon credits for a few of their women. :twisted:

Harold_V said:
If you want my thoughts----the idea of credits for such things is one of the most insane things man has concocted. It has a net effect of allowing some to profit at the hands of others, all the while doing nothing to lower a carbon footprint.....Harold

I also usually try to keep my opinions on politics under wraps if at all possible. It does seem a little odd though - that only two companies that I know of are allowed to legally trade in "carbon credits". It doesn't take too extensive a search to figure out exactly who controls those companies.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=1603&bih=804&q=carbon+credits+al+gore&aq=f&aqi=g1g-j1g-b4&aql=&oq=&pbx=1

Over here in Australia the Julia Gillard Labour government is introducing a Carbon (Dioxide) TAX in Australia very shortly, it will be announced this weekend i believe and it's got the whole country talking. Our jobs will go off shore to China where they burn coal that we export to them anyway but they burn it in much more inefficient generators so it's just counterproductive and i think it's a whole scam bought about by the UN with that Kyoto Protocol Agreement garbage. This Carbon TAX will ruin my country and the government is certainly not batting for Australia but for foreigners it seems... As was mentioned above, 1 burp from a Volcano and our Billions in Carbon TAX our down the drain, we may as well hand it straight to Asia because that's were our money will be going anyway...

And all this going on the back that the Gillard Government was voted in on the promise that she "Would not introduce a Carbon Tax under the Government she leads" un-quote...

My dad was born in America so i might join you guys soon after i get my dual passport and leave this country as it will be given up to Asia and illegal immigrants... That is on the proviso that Obama doesn't decide to bring in the Carbon Tax over their.

Might see you guys soon :p

Back