Ram Chips + HNO3 + DMG

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patnor1011

Here is what I did. I crushed some Ram chips. I removed everything what stick to magnet. I put all those pins and bits to HNO3. Resulting liquid was dark brown (probably from small dust from chips) and when I filtered it stayed deep dark green. I took few ml of that, diluted a bit with water and introduced few drops of DMG to check for Pd. I can swear I saw yellow inside for a while but after few seconds everything turned deep burgundy red. What caused that reaction? Any ideas?

Test the solution pH. A pink reaction with DMG is common in a *basic* nickel solution.

Harold

Oh my head...
Sure that may be the case - low ph as it was 3 parts of H2O one part of tested solution and one part of DMG testing solution which I prepared form isopropyl alcohol so acid vs others is 1:4.

patnor1011 said:
Oh my head...
Sure that may be the case - low ph as it was 3 parts of H2O one part of tested solution and one part of DMG testing solution which I prepared form isopropyl alcohol so acid vs others is 1:4.
It would require a high pH---above 7, although I don't know where the solution would display pink instead of green/blue. Likely slightly above 7.

Harold

Back