The Best of Ebay

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinhcase

Supporting Member
I picked this up for £75.
Thought it was to good to be true but to day it came.
and it look's nice.
I will let you know how it turns out.
For once I am feeling a little bit guilty and may actually have to contact the seller and pay him a bit more than he got at auction.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scrap-Gold-Sponge-/231713807175?

Never had that happen before ,I will have to stop slagging off eBay.

justinhcase said:
I picked this up for £75.
Thought it was to good to be true but to day it came.
and it look's nice.
I will let you know how it turns out.
For once I am feeling a little bit guilty and may actually have to contact the seller and pay him a bit more than he got at auction.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scrap-Gold-Sponge-/231713807175?

Never had that happen before ,I will have to stop slagging off eBay.
Wa Wa WA Wa.
I have found Iron Oxide (which is what gave the lot it's radish color.)copper chloride ,copper metal, tin chloride, and one heck of a lot of Nickle.
What I have not found is any trace of a precious metals of any description.
O well apply for a refund and flag an other con artist to the eBay god's.
Could any one produce such a good fake lot by accident?
Is he just useless at metal recovery at the savant level so as to produce such thing's by accident??
Or has he enough knowledge of the trade to know what thing's should look like??

If something looks too good to be true, it isn't true. I guess most of us had to learn this the hard way. After I have learned to let (too good) auctions go, I would never have bought those 50g of toxical waste, but I really hoped, that you would be lucky.

I don't know the laws in UK, but here you could go to court, since he has sold toxical, even cancerogen waste to you as pure gold powder, which isn't toxic. This poison has not been labelled as hazardous goods, when he sent it to you. So, he broke more than one law and he jeopardised your health. To get robbed for 60 pounds is one thing, but sending nickel salts as gold to me, it is going beyond a joke in my eyes. I would definately go to my lawyer and have a talk about what to do.

solar_plasma said:
If something looks too good to be true, it isn't true. I guess most of us had to learn this the hard way. After I have learned to let (too good) auctions go, I would never have bought those 50g of toxical waste, but I really hoped, that you would be lucky.

I don't know the laws in UK, but here you could go to court, since he has sold toxical, even cancerogen waste to you as pure gold powder, which isn't toxic. This poison has not been labelled as hazardous goods, when he sent it to you. So, he broke more than one law and he jeopardised your health. To get robbed for 60 pounds is one thing, but sending nickel salts as gold to me, it is going beyond a joke in my eyes. I would definately go to my lawyer and have a talk about what to do.
No need It is only eBay.
I Have yet to have a case where they have not taken my side.
I actually enjoy taking on idiot's like this.
His listing was nothing even remotely related to what he sent.
eBay no quibble money back guaranty+ good personal credential's
good point about the toxic nature ,I always handle my material with care so had not twigged.
What if some one lees careful had received it ??
This may even be a criminal act sending such substance through the postal service.
If it had been cracked open hole sorting centers could have been affected.
Dang Try to pick up a bit of sponge on eBay,get involved in a convoluted civil and criminal fiasco.
Lets see what the eBay lawyers say first as they get payed much more than I for this kind of Shenanigans

justinhcase said:
solar_plasma said:

No need It is only eBay.
I Have yet to have a case where they have not taken my side.
I actually enjoy taking on idiot's like this.
His listing was nothing even remotely related to what he sent.
eBay no quibble money back guaranty+ good personal credential's
good point about the toxic nature ,I always handle my material with care so had not twigged.
What if some one lees careful had received it ??
This may even be a criminal act sending such substance through the postal service.
If it had been cracked open hole sorting centers could have been affected.
Dang Try to pick up a bit of sponge on eBay,get involved in a convoluted civil and criminal fiasco.
Lets see what the eBay lawyers say first as they get payed much more than I for this kind of Shenanigans
Dear Sir
Thank you for sending your lot to me.
If it is what you indicated and it is looking good I will make a further payment to you based on my recovery.
I will know more once I have put it back into solution and precipitated it again.
You where very unlucky in your auction and I do not take undue advantage of people in such case's.
If you would go to my website http://www.bakernoblemetals.com and email me your details as eBay filter communication.
Regards
Justin Baker

eBayer
I have ten more ounce if it any good for u please contact me and we could may be sell u sum more ! Many thanks
I also have some metal that wen I test with the acid it dose not do anything maybe you could help me identify what it is I will send you a photo thanks

Dear Sir
I tried remelting your dirty flux,I even added some calcium fluoride and sodium hydroxide to help liquefy/run a bit more.
This has resulted in a uniform black slag and no detectable button in the bottom of my cone mold.
As you know in such environment's noble metals will settle down to the tip of the mold and base metals will be held in the black slag.
I have had your percipient digesting for six hour's,I will now filter all the insoluble detritus which is considerable.
They look like Chlorides but it is to early to tell what kind.From your output I can see your method of recovery may need looking at.
Are you familiar with the gold refining forum?
I will reduce down the liquor and test with Stannous chloride to see what metals are present then try to precipitate any I find.
What kind of return have you been getting form your gold plate?A good recovery will return 1g a kilo on cheap jewellery and up to four gram's a kilo on high grade military part's.If you have been getting more than that the excess will be contaminant's.or may be you had some gold filled or rolled gold which return higher amount's and can be recovered by acid annihilation.
Acid annihilation is not recommended for gold plate as the high relative percentage of base metals swamp the one part in one thousand that is of interest.
I recommend a sulfuric reverse plating cell for all gold plated items.
Regards
Justin

eBayer
I'm sorry I don't no how it all works like you I'm new to all of this when I did put it in the kiln I semt to lose more than I recovered then the kiln broke I tryed map gas and at the end and did recover some

Dear garbu_mari
I have finished analyzing your item,a bit disappointing.
I have found Iron Oxide (which is what gave the lot it's reddish color.)copper chloride ,copper tin chloride, and one heck of a lot of Nickle.
What I have not found is any trace of a precious metals of any description.
If you would please describe your process as completely as possible for the record.
For now I will give you the benefit of the doubt and take it as read you have simply tried to replicate a process with absolutely no understanding of it's mechanism.
If you issue a full refund I will do my best to help you improve so as to actually recover gold instead of making a bit of a mess.
I have a very good reputation in the field just because I decide to give people a chance is not an indication of being new to this.
eBay always set's such situation straight if there is any problems
Sorry to be the bearer of bad new's.
Regards
Justin .

eBayer
I am shocked at how dramatic you are ? The sponge was recoverd by using a hair die peroxide instead of using the acids that you see on the you tube that are lethal! The sponge is put in a crucible with borax then I used a small amount off gold to collect it together I did this twice to gain a gold button You have lost the plot with how you are acting with all your Physics of Science I'm not saying you don't. No your job all am trying to say is that it's a hair bleach that recovers the gold that what people uses on there heads to make there hair go blond !!!

You requested a return
Reason for return
Doesn't match description or photos
Comments
Dear Sir
As discussed in our previous communication your item had absolutely no gold content. Further more it is highly toxic, simply by sending nickel salt's through the post you have committed a criminal act and put the safety of every one concerned in jeopardy. If some one less capable of handling your item had tried to simply melt your Gold Sponge they would have released a cloud of carcinogenic particles and vapours that if inhaled would lead to a long and lingering death. I do hope you took the appropriate precaution's your self because ingestion of any kind would result in serious complication's. A colleague in the states summed it up very well." I don't know the laws in UK, but here you could go to court, since he has sold toxic, even cancerogen waste to you as pure gold powder, which isn't toxic. This poison has not been labelled as hazardous goods, when he sent it to you. So, he broke more than one law and he jeopardised your health. To get robbed for 60 pounds is one thing, but sending nickel salts as gold to me, it is going beyond a joke in my eyes. I would definitely go to my lawyer and have a talk about what to do". I have literally an unlimited number of expert witnesses who will give similar statement's, I my self am licenced by the Home Office to Over see any security matter in the U.K. and have helped prosecute over two hundred and fifty case's ranging form fraud to domestic violence. Having given you the benefit of the doubt in our previous communication and finding you did not feel like answering for this matter in a manner I would expect form some one who made an honest mistake. I have no alternative but to escalate the issue with the relevant authority's

eBayer
Hi Justin I'm ever so sorry for the time you wasted trying to amend my mistake I tried to recover it with a hair bleach obvious I shouldn't watch rubbish you tube methods and should get the right advice of some one who' knows the proper process as you do all I can do is to say I'm extremely sorry and I will refund you your full money back I totally did not no I was doing anything wrong i was only trying to learn as I'm fascinated in your line of work! I bought a cheap kiln of ebay that dident last I watched the process of the diferent acids that are used and thought that was dangerous so I decided to stay away from that process thanks for Puting me right many many thanks

I don't know. What do you think??
May be I should press him and insist he fulfil the term's of our initial agreement for £60 as agreed??
Just

:lol: :lol: :lol:

and insist he fulfil the term's of our initial agreement for £60 as agreed??

:mrgreen:
At least I would let him know, that you would be able to insist in fulfilment. The net is full of examples. Hard to tell. Do you think he has learned his lesson, or will he try the next fraud in two weeks?

solar_plasma said:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

and insist he fulfil the term's of our initial agreement for £60 as agreed??

:mrgreen:
At least I would let him know, that you would be able to insist in fulfilment. The net is full of examples. Hard to tell. Do you think he has learned his lesson, or will he try the next fraud in two weeks?
That is what I am trying to work out.
The problem being that once some one irks me I find it very hard to draw back in my fang's and claw's

Was the gold sponge meant to be from inquarting?

The illiterate way the auction was typed would have set my alarm bells ringing.
The only reason to buy from that auction in the first place was in the hope that the guy WAS an idiot who didn't know what he had.

You got double played because he was throwing out a baited line looking for someone who thought he was an idiot.

spaceships said:
Was the gold sponge meant to be from inquarting?

The illiterate way the auction was typed would have set my alarm bells ringing.
The only reason to buy from that auction in the first place was in the hope that the guy WAS an idiot who didn't know what he had.

You got double played because he was throwing out a baited line looking for someone who thought he was an idiot.
No risk.
A little bit of fun.
I am waiting for the post office to send the packaging up to an independent lab for analysis.They have one specially built for such problem's .
Based on there action's I will will decide if I can go to small claim's court.
I did offer a very generous alternative but they where not quite bright enough to take it.
It is not my fault they broke the primary S T A T U T O R Y I N S T R U M E N T S 2015 No. 966 HEALTH AND SAFETY The Control of Poisons and Explosives Precursors Regulations ,Criminal Justice Act 1988, Hallmarking Act 1973.
What ever where they thinking,totally outrages.should have given me some Au :lol:

Seems to be an awful lot of work, grief and effort to do the guy over for a bad buy of £60 to me.

when I get ripped off I tend to just take the higher ground and move on because life's too short to get bent out of shape and get all vindictive.

spaceships said:
Seems to be an awful lot of work, grief and effort to do the guy over for a bad buy of £60 to me.

when I get ripped off I tend to just take the higher ground and move on because life's too short to get bent out of shape and get all vindictive.
Sorry ..Bent out of shape??
I do this kind of thing on mass for quite a large company.One or two more is unnoticeable in my work load

It's not the point really mate.

Let's not beat about the bush here. You bought the "sponge" thinking you would make a killing. It didn't work out that way, so use Paypal get your money back. Forget the guy and move on. Any more than that makes you look like a nasty piece of work, and it really wouldn't paint you in a good light.

Just my 5 cents Justin.

spaceships said:
It's not the point really mate.

Let's not beat about the bush here. You bought the "sponge" thinking you would make a killing. It didn't work out that way, so use Paypal get your money back. Forget the guy and move on. Any more than that makes you look like a nasty piece of work, and it really wouldn't paint you in a good light.

Just my 5 cents Justin.
John
If I was inclined to take advice form you I would have.
Making my self look like a nasty piece of work for expecting some one to pay for the proper treatment of there waste.
Look at my term's and condition mate.if they had sent me such under my normal term's and condition's I could have charged them any thing I like.
Standard operating procedure in most well run refinery's.
You make a mess you pay to have it cleaned up,not try to con people and sell carcinogenic material to the general public.
If you see some thing like this you have a morel duty to do some thing about it.
It is much like thous really large property development company's you have up your way.Borrow million's of pound's and then the secretary "resigned"just before it go's into bankruptcy.
You are a crook,You get brought down by any legal means necessary.
Again you support an obsequiously hopeless position because I decided I did not want to trade with you.Not based on any proper logic or law.
Always trying to tell other people why they do thing's.
Good hunting.

justinhcase said:
The problem being that once some one irks me I find it very hard to draw back in my fang's and claw's

It really is a good thing that we aren't all like you then, otherwise the world would be an awful place to live!

justinhcase said:
Look at my term's and condition mate.if they had sent me such under my normal term's and condition's I could have charged them any thing I like.

Thanks for pointing out just how you go about your business practices, must be great having a license to print your own money by preying on the misfortune of others, you really are painting yourself in a bad light.

justinhcase said:
Again you support an obsequiously hopeless position because I decided I did not want to trade with you.

I am well aware of the circumstances to which you refer, Justin, that is a can of worms you really don't want to be opening up.

justinhcase said:
I am waiting for the post office to send the packaging up to an independent lab for analysis.They have one specially built for such problem's .
Based on there action's I will will decide if I can go to small claim's court.

Life is far too short to get so bitter and twisted,rather than being a 'keyboard bullyboy' accept your paypal refund and show everyone you ARE the bigger man.

Just my 2 cents on a subject that is getting incredibly boring.

In this case there is no wrong and no right and starting to discuss morality and ethics would only splitt the forum. I think anything and whatever lawful should not be followed by a flaming.

How would you guys treat a burglar that threatens your family? What else is this case? He tried to get money for worthless poison and the package could have been opened by someone else.

Folks, keep sense of proportion.

My stance on toxic and hazardous material is what has been advised by the largest refining group in the U.K. who where kind enough to help draft my term's and condition's.
With out it you would be open to an unending stream of every other plonkler's waste which you would be obliged to deal with at your own expense.
There are a lot of plonkers around Rodney and the number is growing every day,more people should do some thing about it.
Also I have zero sympathy for this individual,I conducted a standard conflict resolution with them,They did not act in a manner I would expect for some one who made an innocent mistake or feel like accepting my very reasonable compromise.
Did MY best .Now tough Titty's you try to act hard with me I withdraw all help and services permanently.
I have enough client's who appreciate my hard work I do not need any who do not conform to standard mediation.
Criminals are a favorite hunting pray for me.I am not legally aloud to stretch my proclivity's on every day civilians,and I have missed field work since I was retired to desk duty and corporate security .I suppose I miss running my own cases.
Some go out into wood and put a cap in Bamby for meat.I do so with U.K. criminals.
And if some one has been discussing can's of worm's I highly doubt they would have related a truly unbiest version of events.
I stand by my method of interaction with people it is designed to be completely fair by an independent arm of the home office, not working with in thous guide lines leave you open to criminal and civil prosecution.
That is why we have such a large security industry in the U.K.company's would be sued continually and hemorrhage stock and money to dishonest individuals with out my fellow security officers and our S.I.A. code of conduct...

justinhcase said:
eBayer
Hi Justin I'm ever so sorry for the time you wasted trying to amend my mistake I tried to recover it with a hair bleach obvious I shouldn't watch rubbish you tube methods and should get the right advice of some one who' knows the proper process as you do all I can do is to say I'm extremely sorry and I will refund you your full money back I totally did not no I was doing anything wrong i was only trying to learn as I'm fascinated in your line of work! I bought a cheap kiln of ebay that dident last I watched the process of the diferent acids that are used and thought that was dangerous so I decided to stay away from that process thanks for Puting me right many many thanks

Just

Also I have zero sympathy for this individual,I conducted a standard conflict resolution with them,They did not act in a manner I would expect for some one who made an innocent mistake or feel like accepting my very reasonable compromise.

Justin

Sorry for the late reply - please note what I underlined in the 2 above quotes

I am not quite getting where there is a problem here - from what I can see the guy offered you an apology & a refund & states he did not know he was doing anything wrong

When I read the entire & full discussion that took place between you & the e-bay guy it is very, VERY, clear to me that the guy had/has absolutely no clue about PM refining &/or recovery --- based on the color of the powders he thought he had something --- based on the color of the powders you thought he had something --- when your testing showed that you were "both" wrong - you contacted him to inform he didn't have what he thought he had - a conversation took place wherein he explained his lack of knowledge & you explained your greater knowledge --- that discussion cleared the air & lead to his understanding he did not have what he thought he had --- he offered to make resolution !

What more were you expecting ?

I don't think the guy acted with criminal "intent" !

You educated him !

Throw this little bit of waste in with the larger volume of waste you create on a regular bases - except the refund & apology - feel good about the fact you helped to educate someone & move on

other wise :shock: (holy cow) :roll: (drama) :lol: (in a sad sort of way)

Kurt

kurtak said:
justinhcase said:
eBayer

Just

Justin

Sorry for the late reply - please note what I underlined in the 2 above quotes

I am not quite getting where there is a problem here - from what I can see the guy offered you an apology & a refund & states he did not know he was doing anything wrong

When I read the entire & full discussion that took place between you & the e-bay guy it is very, VERY, clear to me that the guy had/has absolutely no clue about PM refining &/or recovery --- based on the color of the powders he thought he had something --- based on the color of the powders you thought he had something --- when your testing showed that you were "both" wrong - you contacted him to inform he didn't have what he thought he had - a conversation took place wherein he explained his lack of knowledge & you explained your greater knowledge --- that discussion cleared the air & lead to his understanding he did not have what he thought he had --- he offered to make resolution !

What more were you expecting ?

I don't think the guy acted with criminal "intent" !

You educated him !

Throw this little bit of waste in with the larger volume of waste you create on a regular bases - except the refund & apology - feel good about the fact you helped to educate someone & move on

other wise :shock: (holy cow) :roll: (drama) :lol: (in a sad sort of way)

Kurt
I can totally understand you feeling empathy for this individual but I have come to the conclusion that would be misplaced.
I do not draw conclusion's lightly or with out abundant data to support my train of thought.
This person was trading under the guise of a middle aged woman.
They symptomatically built up a good feed back score by selling a bout sixty low grade brick-a-brack item's then went in for the kill.
They where most defiantly not who they said they where,from there corespondent's and activity I would say we are looking at a male IC1 of about 25-30.
There is no way any one could have mistaken the item as Au of any kind and defiantly no way any one would send off almost sixty gram's by second class post for £60.
The chap was playing a game but was not very good at it,he would have laughed his head off at the stupidity of his mark,well his mark is laughing his head of at him.
If I had detected one slight bit of true remorse I would have let him go but I did not.
I only have a 500 kilo(Dried concentrate from my in-house waste processing) allowance for such waste a year and if you want to take part of the allotment up I have to charge.
I am extremely reasonable unless some one is dishonest with me.
Besides my personal feeling's there was the public safety and interest to be taken into account.
If he had not had a harsh out come of some sort he would lightly try this again with some one else.He did say he had a lot more to sell.
Please tell me you where not drawn in by his self deprecating act of stupidity,a standard starting tactic designed to elicit feeling's of sympathy and so you see them as vulnerable,he then cycled through every thing form,I was insane to His/her husband died seven years ago,quite basic techniques and some can be effective.
But I can not list his mistake's fully as to do so would give others insight on how to execute such con's more effectively.
If you are dealing in relatively large amount's of money I would highly recommend you invest in one of the meany back ground checking company's,You can tell so much form a very basic search on name's and address's.
European law is quite an efficient fire and forget weapon's system.I have fired,I have now forgotten. :lol:

Sorry for the delay reply - just very busy

So do I understand correctly - You have decided & therefore implemented legal action ?

Both criminal & civil ?

Kurt

Back