Dealing with Spammers (split from Membership Programs now available!)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yggdrasil

Staff member
I'm sorry, but I kind of get annoyed by these spammers.
Do anyone have a solution to stop it?
Maybe invoke a trial period of say one week or maybe two, where you can only read posts?

I've deleted the spammer's post, so Yggdrasil's post is now out of context.
Yggdrasil said:
I'm sorry, but I kind of get annoyed by these spammers.
Do anyone have a solution to stop it?
Maybe invoke a trial period of say one week or maybe two, where you can only read posts?
They are annoying, but they don't last long. There is a balance between filtering out spammers and allowing new members to post. For now, we just bounce them as quickly as we can, but I'm sure we're always open to suggestions.

Dave

FrugalRefiner said:
I've deleted the spammer's post, so Yggdrasil's post is now out of context.
Yggdrasil said:
They are annoying, but they don't last long. There is a balance between filtering out spammers and allowing new members to post.

Dave

I appreciate that Dave. I just joined this forum and I would likely have looked elsewhere if I could not ask a question, maybe, not sure. But I do appreciate you trying to maintain that balance you refer to.

I just joined this forum and I would likely have looked elsewhere if I could not ask a question

I can't tell you how often I have responded to a new member only to have that member never return to the forum. We can see when a member joins and when that member posts a question and when that member last visited. Personally I get tired of posting when we have absolutely no idea about how serious the member is about refining.

This is an example. http://www.goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=25699 This guy joined, was here 5 minutes, posted and never came back. Go to his website, he claims to be an expert at setting up recovery systems. An expert, as his bio describes, doesn't need our input.

If you know something about refining, you could register and read anything. Just a quick read would convince a knowledgeable person of the value of this site. It is undoubtedly worth waiting a short period before posting privelages kick in, but to date we have resisted doing it.

4metals said:
I just joined this forum and I would likely have looked elsewhere if I could not ask a question

It is undoubtedly worth waiting a short period before posting privelages kick in, but to date we have resisted doing it.

No, you're right about that. I was thinking about it after I posted that and I thought to myself, "no, I'd wait if I had to" in fact, in retrospect, I did join a little while back and did not post a question right away, so ....

But again, I appreciate it.

I have been hammering away at learning on my own for the last couple of years and I'd like to do something in this arena as a retirement business but I have needed to get involved in a forum and get input from more experienced people than me for some time now. I don't know why I delayed.

Thanks again for the dialogue.

Couple of neo questions...

1) I generally read up on things while keeping an eye on things in the lab. Consequently I use my phone and I don't think I actually log in. Does that reference? Mainly asking because I have never used this forum software as an admin, not sure how good the tools there are.

2) I read these forums literally for a couple of years before setting up an account. I just looked around and generally searched via google and ended up here. Once I set up the company I am at now I actually made an account. ... Thinking back I think I posted more on Reddit in the first 5 years of doing gold stuff.

I am still a newb. I am highly trained in lab biochemistry... And a complete nuntz in running an actual field station. It has been fairly humbling finding the edges of where my skill falls apart in the lack of field experience.

For example... Never once thought to actually test for trace items in my inbound chemistry. I had never actually ordered chems from anywhere but the depo and they validated everything we ordered. Finding out the hard way that not all suppliers are made equal was at a cost of like ... 10 days of work? maybe a bit more where I kept doing the idiot scientist thing while staring blankly at results that made no sense...

--Launce

4metals said:

I can't tell you how often I have responded to a new member only to have that member never return to the forum. We can see when a member joins and when that member posts a question and when that member last visited. Personally I get tired of posting when we have absolutely no idea about how serious the member is about refining.

This is an example. http://www.goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=25699 This guy joined, was here 5 minutes, posted and never came back. Go to his website, he claims to be an expert at setting up recovery systems. An expert, as his bio describes, doesn't need our input.

If you know something about refining, you could register and read anything. Just a quick read would convince a knowledgeable person of the value of this site. It is undoubtedly worth waiting a short period before posting privileges kick in, but to date we have resisted doing it.

It was a scam anyway! He contacted me on ebay and gave me his story. I ask him several questions several times and he never would give me any information to go on. In sales we call it qualifying the customer. There are people out there who will waste your time and as we all know time is money! Never did figure out his M.O., but i know enough to know when a client is serious!

He actually looks to have come from quite legitimate back ground.
Steve Canby B.Sc. (Hons.) Eng.
Senior Technical Assistant Anglo American South Africa, June 1978 – October 1981 (3 years 5 months)Training, R&D, and extensive commissioning project.
Plant Supt, DeBeers Botswana,1981 – 1985 (4 years)Plant Supt & Project Manager.
Trans Hex Group,1989 – 1993 (4 years)
GM UK, Wardrop Engineering,2006 – 2007 (1 year)Swindon, United Kingdom, Set up Wardrop UK (now Tetratech), established UK office, was manager and member of study and technical consultancy groups, business development.
Minix Associates June 2004 – Present (13 years 2 months)
No sign of C.C.J.'s or criminal complaint.

Back