Off the beaten path...Advertising?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aflacglobal

advertise ????

What the he** did i miss.

Is this why i kept getting hit with 100 windows on sign in ?? :evil: :evil:

Is this the right room. :?:

Hey i'm from the dirty south. Aflac !!!!! :D

AFLAC !!!

Sounds like you may have contracted a trojan or spyware infection. My pc is doing just fine with the forum. You should install Spybot S & D and Adaware to clean your pc. If you can make it to www.trendmicro.com you can go there and get a free online scan.

Steve

Thanks steve,

I'm fine now. This was the only site or thing i had trouble with. It was just for about 12-14 hrs. Think it could have been my software battling the ads to keep them out. Does anyone else not see the ads. ?????
Is it just me. Did the people at yahoo finally get their revenge on me ?

Oh my god. Now i know how the hampster felt.
Now i need thearpy. :shock:

Ralph

I was unable to reach the site for the last 30 hours or so. It just 'came up' about 2 hours ago for me. I had no trouble with popups or endless internet windows. I emailed Noxx yesterday and he said his hoster claimed random outages for different parts of the planet ?!

Please tell me you see the ads.
Please say it ain't me.

Theirs one at the bottom of the page.
YOU CAN'T SEE IT ???

I SEE DEAD PEOPLE !!!!!!
SAM WHEAT SAM WHEAT SAM WHEAT SAM WHEAT SAM WHEAT

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Aflac

The forum ad's have been mixed in with the posts for months now. I think Noxx signed up with Yahoo's ad service a while back I think. I don't see any popup ads or other web site ads, just the normal forum stuff.

REALLY !!

Huh, that's new to me. I never seen them until now.
Something changed.

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Interesting.

Ralph

Here's a sample of what I'm talking about just to be sure were are discussing the same ads:

Attachments

• ad.jpg
    ad.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 526
THAT's It.

I swear i've never seen them in the month i been here.

I must be off my Meds. I'll take the hampsters. :idea:

That should help.

Ralph

There have been ads of various sorts for quite some time, not necessarily these exact ads. Noxx had discussed signing up with a different ad service besides google. Another member recommended Yahoo if I remember correctly.

He stated he was going to sign up with Yahoo! in this post:

Yahho Ads

To tell you the truth I'm not sure if they are Yahoo ads, but various types of ads have been sprinkled in the forum for a bit.

I'm sure Noxx can fill us all in on the ad situation.

Steve

See i knew i wasn't crazy.
GSP is taking the same medicine.
Or was it that leaf from S.F. , I can't remember.
But i knew dam well them ad's wasn't here before ( for me anyway )

I feel so violated :shock:
Somebody call Project Blue Book.

Ralph

Hello,
No this is not yahoo ads. It's the Adbrite program. I'm currently looking for a Publisher program. Google Adsense closed my account for no reason and I still want to get some incomes to pay the advertisement of this forum. And currently Adbrite has no ads for me to put on the Forum :( I can't use Yahoo since I'm not a US resident.

I'm a Yahoo American.
How many Yahoo accounts you need ?
I got about 20. If we can help let us know.

How much a month hosting cost ? put up a pay pal donation button.
Hell i'll donate some.
Come on everybody, we spend more than this on soda pops ?

Later
Ralph

Lol why do you have 20 Yahoo publisher accounts ? (There are not the same as standard Yahoo accounts).

Well, actually, my hosting cost me nothing. But it's the advertising (on eBay) who cost 10$ a month.

Well, I'm thinking were I should put the button...

Steve, would you agree to create a YPN account ? I want to see how much income this forum can generate and also if Yahoo can find us targeted ads.

Thanks guys

Anybody want to buy a steel building . lol
Sounds go to me, But you are opening a can of worms here , i think anyway.

Go back to the original goal of the forum.
Now we are going commercial ?
I wouldn't mind donating, put it up.

But those ad's did kind of offend me. Just me !!
I find things like that intrusive.
Want me to call you, at home at dinner :evil:

Might want to open a topic on the forum . I know it's your site and you can do what you want, But it's sort of like customer service if you think about it.
On the other hand. something has to pay the bills.

Ralph

supporting the sponsors is supporting the site. be nice if the sponsors were more related to what we were doing. links for stuff we can use would be great

There is a fair amount of work put into any forum, blog, web site ect. This work comes at a cost physically, mentally, and financially. The moderator/owner/operator of any website should diversify and generate income from that site. This I say is to directly cover site expenses and reimbursement for personal time spent on maintenance, moving posts, banning Spam bots, blocking some posters, warnings to posts with inappropriate content, locking threads, dealing with hosting, and the list goes on and on. I am very surprised to see that over the time i have spent(registered march 4th 2007 before the forum moved) here mainly reading not posting that there isn't any ads or even a donate now icon/link.

Steve and Noxx I would say do 90% of the work with up-keep of this site. Both should be rewarded with finances to reimburse them for time well spent(i'm sure others would agree). On a more personal note no to offend anyone I Would say both steve & noxx are individuals with a personality of a modest nature who are not looking for momentary gain from this site for their time vested. When what you hold in your hand(from a batch of whatever) isn't what you expected most of us undoubtedly would turn to this forum for answers, the next thought is undoubtedly it would be rare to see a thread titled WHAT IS THIS without having one or both chime in.

I would be comfortable with a Donate now banner at the forums home page, or a donate now banner that blankets the top of every new every subject. I would feel comfortable with some adds running down the side of each forum topic in a 1.5" column with relevant ads to the site like "get spot PM price now" "discount lab ware" etc. An advertise with us link/icon would generate some E-mails. There are numerous ways to go about this not even close to all i have covered here.

Most forums that do move from an independent funded community to a advertised externally funded community and will get some complaints from users it would be RARE if any forum would loose users to this change. Most 99.99% will adapt and tolerate the adds and continue to post and read. I have even been to a number of forums that charge a fee to view it.

I notice the original web site had a donate link but the new one dosen't. really makes no sense to me.

Final note I DO GENUINELY ENJOY THIS FORUM COMMUNITY AND APPRECIATE THE EFFORT THAT GOES INTO IT BY IT'S CREATORS MODERATORS ADMINISTRATORS AND USERS. ANYONE THAT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH REFINING GOLD OR OTHER PM'S WOULD BE HARD PRESSED TO NOT FIND SOMETHING OF USE WITHIN THIS FORUM.

If anyone is wondering what the page view rank is for try this link if the link dosen't work copy and paste the forums web page address in the search area at alexa. Before looking i didn't know 23.1% of traffic came from Poland to this site.

P.s. this post took me over 45min to type using one finger. Go from typing 67wpm to this do you feel my pain oh and the perocet isn't speeding things up either. I think someone is trying to teach me patience.

http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details/goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB2/index.php

scroll to the bottom for data. :D

aflacglobal said:
advertise ????

What the he** did i miss.

Is this why i kept getting hit with 100 windows on sign in ?? :evil: :evil:

Is this the right room. :?:

Hey i'm from the dirty south. Aflac !!!!! :D
I noticed the same problem lately.

Back