Missing Gold at the Canadian Mint

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peter.H said:
I heard that 7 million they predict was lost in slag from processing.....

isn't that rediculous

My question is that 7 million is dollars worth of gold or 7 million ounces of gold??

Quite a differenc in the final tally$$$$$$$$$$.

goldsilverpro said:
Gold is never LOST in the slag. It can always be recovered.
Even at my humble level, when I ran my waste materials with a flux I developed by research, the used flux assayed so low in value that it was not worth processing further with litharge. I'm having a hard time thinking people that should know what they're doing have the ability to toss that much value, unknowingly.

I wonder------has Noxx showed up with a new Lexus of late? :lol:

Harold

Noxx said:
Lol :p

I've heard about it but I think the Canadian Mint tries to keep things quiet...
I would think so! That's a huge amount to lose track of with no viable excuse.

By the way, I'm not buying the "lost in slag" BS.

Harold

HTPatch said:
Maybe "slag" is the nickname of someone in management that decided to retire early in the Cayman Islands. :mrgreen:

That's funny and possibly quite true, the Canadian Mint at one time was losing precious metals in their effluent, I have no details on how many troy ounces were recovered from the mud at the discharge into the river.

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2009/06/11/tech-missing-gold-royal-canadian-mint-computer-glitch.html

read the bottom portion..

But I also dont believe the Au was lost in slag, but its what there using as a cover up

We Canadians love to recycle, maybe the slag was used as an additive to asphalt being used for a new highway.

Brilliant heist, the thief is in a win/win situation and has time on his side. Here's how the story unfolds.

A Mint employee working for a top 100 Canadian company job with a secure pension and a severance package should he be fired has ambition beyond what his job has to offer, plots a brilliant scheme to exploit millions.

The plot is actually a repeat of history, at one time the Mint was loosing precious metals to the effluent discharge into the Ottawa River, this time it's slag. The slag a much better mode of transportation as the slag can be physically followed and accounted for then re-processed by your partner in crime.

Disposing of the slag perfectly legal , poor job performance not a crime, the thief is covered.

love this story and fits in well with what i,ve always said, gold has been stolen since its first discovery, official figurers for production are complete tripe . Hope the auditing procedures have been examined and tightened up just a touch, you would have thought that someone might just have missed that much gold but i suppose turning a blind eye might have been more lucrative!!!!

I know this is an old thread but a company here in ottawa wanted to recover gold from the ottawa river and the feds said no stating a security risk? That said the mint is not that close to secure fed buildings and our own parliamentis open to the public. I think deres gold in dem der waters...

Back