About silver and prices...

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patnor1011

Tonight I have spend few hours searching internet to find out more about silver. I was thinking that I will buy few ounces in small say one ounce, half ounce, 10 grams or even one gram bars or rounds. Well, apart from ebay with ridiculous prices and few mints with huge minimum orders I did not find any. There is plenty of them out but I dont want to pay double of spot price and so. I am just wandering where they came from those mini one gram bars which are being sold on ebay for about 3-4$ each. I saw 1 gram maple leaf silver bar sold for 12,5 $... Do anyone know about place which selling bars in various weights for spot and decent premium?

Patnor try coin dealers who buy silver scrap they will only get 90% of spot of the refiners so you should be able to buy coins at spot that have a known content.

I have found some one oz bars in truck stops pretty reasonable prices I live in the sticks (we dont even have a stoplight anymore i love it) but if you are near an interstate next time look at bigger truckstops.

If you have a pawn shop nearby you might try them as well. One of our local auction houses regularly has coins and rounds and they always seem to go right at spot.

If you have patience, Ebay can be a place to pick up Silver salts quite reasonably. I have amassed quite a collection at below spot in most cases.

I have put some of my silver from contacts and rings found with metal detector together and send that over to one refinery in slovakia. I asked them to make nice 20g rounds from that. They are marked Fine silver 999 20g. That will go to my retirement fund or to fund school for my kids :)
I will upload pictures later.

There you go... Few pics of silver...

Attachments

• DSC00037.JPG
    DSC00037.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 353
  • DSC00038.JPG
    DSC00038.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 353
  • DSC00039.JPG
    DSC00039.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 353
What was the cost of having these rounds produced?

I have approx 1000 grams of cemented silver and this looks like a fantastic way to give it value

Hi Martyn. I have asked them to produce smaller rounds but they appeared very expensive to me. So this 20gram was the smallest what I have decided to pay. I bought them when silver was 0.40 eurocent and cost of making them was 0.48 eurocent for gram. Their production may be cheaper as I had to pay for making stamp/die (it was included in price). Refinery is located in central europe, I know owner and they produce beautifull custom coins.

http://www.zlatahuta.sk/index.php?content=gallery&lang=en

patnor1011 said:
I have put some of my silver from contacts and rings found with metal detector together and send that over to one refinery in slovakia. I asked them to make nice 20g rounds from that. They are marked Fine silver 999 20g. That will go to my retirement fund or to fund school for my kids :)
I will upload pictures later.
Since this post has been several years, it is interesting to learn from the starter's topic patnor1011, whether these investments in silver have helped him in life? I would have sold it all in may 2011 (like George Soros). For several years I have been buying scrap silver, x-ray films, but do not have time to process and sell (I work "in the warehouse"), consoling myself that in the near future this lunar metal, thanks to its properties will reach a fair (and pleasant for me) price. But this has not happened for about 10 years (except for short periods of stock jumps), the growth of the price of silver does not even compensate for inflation :cry: . The photo and film industry has abandoned the use of silver, even the wire used in military aviation, in recent years covered with tin (I'm a former electronics engineer, and I think it's wrong), these facts reduce the demand for silver. I want to know the opinion of respected members of the forum: what to expect from silver in the medium term (5-10 years)? Perhaps graphene will be a cheap substitute for silver in electrical engineering?And the main buyers of silver will be India for the manufacture of jewelry to their women :lol: ?

Honestly, I do not know. I still do hold all of it and plan to add some more. I may be forced to sell some now as I am going to buy a house but we (me and my wife) agreed that we buy it back as soon as possible.
Silver is finite and not that abundant so by that logic that should be reflected in price. If that will be 1 year or 10 does not matter for me. All my silver with exception of some rounds I bought last is still valued for more than I have paid for it and some of it by quite a lot.
When I talk about my silver I am talking about modest amount not some ridiculous amount.

I am still buying so I hope it keeps going down, at least for awhile :D
I am not looking to get rich but it is a good way to save with nice upside potential. If I have cash in my pocket it has a way of disappearing but the silver in the safe doesn't.

Metals are a good way for many of us to save and invest for the future, better than fiat dollars, bitcoin and other digital money on some bankers record that fluctuate as the government's willy nelly printing more money lowering its purchase power, the metals have proven to hold their value and retain their purchasing power while we have to spend many more dollars nowadays to buy bread.

It's a choice, I trust metals, looking at history and comparing metals value to the value of the fiat money, their purchasing power of a commodity like bread, and you may also decide to choose metals over other forms of savings.

To me metals are not an investment as much as they are an insurance policy.
To be an invest would imply that i bought them with the intention of making money. That money would be in the form of a worthless note come times of civil or finical unrest. Any dividends i derived from my investment is also worthless except in the context of the central banking system. If i make a little money on the way great, but what's important is i don't lose money or wealth either. You can't judge the value of a metal on a system that is in direct competition with it and predicated on suppressing it's value for the benefit of a centralized banking monopoly! Metals hold wayyyy more value than paper. Don't calculate anything based on paper, because it's ALL a lie!

Palladium said:
To be an invest would imply that i bought them with the intention of making money. That money would be in the form of a worthless note come times of civil or finical unrest. Any dividends i derived from my investment is also worthless except in the context of the central banking system. If i make a little money on the way great, but what's important is i don't lose money or wealth either. You can't judge the value of a metal on a system that is in direct competition with it and predicated on suppressing it's value for the benefit of a centralized banking monopoly! Metals hold wayyyy more value than paper. Don't calculate anything based on paper, because it's ALL a lie!

I agree 100%

jimdoc said:
Palladium said:

I agree 100%
I understand that banknotes are a big Scam. I may not have grown to the philosophy of silver at the age of 50, human life is fleeting, and he wants to eat every day. :(
This is my main source of income, I am an entrepreneur, I process x-ray film, fixage, scrap, and do it professionally. Here are the average prices of some goods in Russia translated into silver, in 2012: 1 cubic meter of natural gas for heating-0.14 grams Ag; 1 liter of diesel fuel - 0.9 grams Ag; 1 kilogram of bread-1.4 grams Ag; 1 kilogram of meat (beef)- 5.25 grams Ag; 1 liter of milk - 1.1 grams Ag, 1 kilogram of potatoes - 0.6 grams Ag. In 2019, the same goods cost: gas - 0.24 g Ag, diesel fuel - 1.45 g Ag, bread - 2.2 g Ag, meat - 11 g. Ag, milk - 1.87 g. Ag, potatoes - 1 g. Ag. For every year we live we have to pay more and more silver. :lol:

If of course we consider the accumulated silver as insurance in case of big trouble - I agree. My friend told me that during the Second World War in the besieged Leningrad people exchanged gold jewelry for food, who had a stock of gold - he had more chances not to die of hunger. God save us all from such misfortunes!

Back