HD vs CD vs Floppy - Are they the same, or different!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malais

I am by no means a refiner, but I do sell quite a bit of E-waste product. Hard Drives boards, CD boards, and floppy boards have been haunting my mind lately. I don't wish to talk prices, as I feel that the subject of business is between a refiner and seller, but I would like to discuss the truth on the matter pertaining to the difference of quality between the three subjects listed.

I've talked to a few buyers whom think that Hard Drive boards are far more valuable than CD and floppy boards.

I've talked to a few buyers whom say that they are all the same.

I've talked to buyers who think that CD boards are twice as valuable as motherboards.

I've talked to buyers who think that CD boards are half as valuable as motherboards.

This is why I'm confused, and it would be a great opportunity for the community to discuss the differences. In my own opinion, and keep in mind that I don't consider myself a refiner, I believe HD boards to be the highest grade, CD and Floppy to be of an equal grade yet more valuable than motherboards, and motherboards to be the lowest grade. If you find this to be correct then agree with me, and if you find my hunch to be incorrect then let me know why.

This is just a shot in the dark, however on a pound per pound basis the hard drive boards are much thinner than the mother boards. The electronics are packed pretty tight on the hard drive boards as well. There is no extra metal on HD boards. (IE Heat sinks, connector shrouds, CPU holders, bolts, screws, clips,springs) as well as no power supply components . My guess is there is more pure electronic components in a thinner lighter substrate with less undesirable metal, plastic and copper on The hd boards. More of the good stuff and less of the bad. Does this make sense? Some times I have a hard time putting my thoughts to words coherently.

That makes a lot of sense. It's the part where HD/CD/Floppy boards seem similar in the characteristics you've mentioned, yet a lot of people consider CD and Floppy boards to be less valuable.

I've noticed what Patnor mentioned, that a lot of the pins on the floppy boards are plated the full length of the pin. Many hard drive boards include the BGA gold-corner chip on them as do most of the ZIP drive boards I've found.

Very good observations. My brain pain is slightly easing on this topic. Insight from refiners and big time buyers would be much appreciated.

Back