Sending Gold to the US Refiners

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lmarc1

I looked in the search function of the forum, but I haven't found a post that answers this specific question in any depth. I'm hoping someone here knows or has had experience shipping gold internationally.

I'm in Honduras, Central America, and I'd like to ship some gold to a refiner, preferably in the US, though a US refiner is not a hard requirement. I have a small quantity of karat gold as well as access to much larger quantities of placer. I've always used Midwest Refiners in Wisconsin in the past, shipped from within the US, but the last two shipments I sent them gave me pause. Their assays came out considerably lower than my own estimate. Of course, I could have made mistakes but I don't think so.

Regardless, my question is this: now than I'm no longer in the US I don't know what laws have changed or what is the legal status of importing gold into the country. I can arrange the paperwork and shipping details to meet Honduras' requirements, but I need to know how the Patriot Act, etc., impacts the importation of gold into the US. I've narrowed my shipping choices to either FedEx or USPS, both of which I can access here, and with proper insurance. Can anyone give me an idea of what I'm up against in doing this? Also, I'm open to shipping to a reliable refiner in Mexico or Latin America if anyone has any information on locations or reliability.

Back