Looking For Best Buyer For Estate Scrap Jewelry

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erwincm

Hello everyone. My mother passed away about 2 months ago and left me with her jewelry collection. Many of the pieces are broken and more expensive to repair than they are worth. I would like to sell her scrap gold but all I ever hear about is how crooked companies are in this market. Could you guys recommend a reputable buyer of scrap gold who will not downgrade the gold karat but be honest with what I submit them? I'm not worried about eeking out tent a of a percent profit but also not looking to get raked over coals either. Any reputable gold buying sources for small quantities of scrap gold would be much appreciated.

Thank You,
Charles

You can get close to spot price on ebay. But then you will also be paying around 15 percent in fees. Sometimes I see karat jewelry lots sell for over spot, mostly if there is a desirable piece in the lot.
You will need to take good photos and describe everything well.
Plenty of members here would be interested, more so if you are local to them and they could look over the lot in person.

Hi Erwin

Firstly I'm sorry to hear about your mother, I wish you well.

Secondly you will probably be inundated with PMs from members right now. Before you accept anyone's offer I would urge you to look at a few things:

1. How long have they been a member.
2. How many times have they posted.
3. What kind of posts have they made.

That's my 5 cents and I hope you find a good resolution.

Jon

I am currently selling the pieces that are in very good shape on eBay and am generally selling most of them for well over spot price. However, not all pieces sell so I'm likely going to combine those pieces with the broken ones and sell them as a lot just for the gold value. Are you suggesting that I lost the lot on eBay after I get finished trying to sell them individually? If yes, I'll have full photographic and textual description from prior eBay sales attempt that I can provide. I'm not sure how I would present all that information on a lot sale because there will be many pieces. I'll have to think about how to do that.

Btw, thanks for the advice on selecting a reputable member here. I will most certainly take that into consideration.

One more question guys - Should I purchase a gold tester like this one > http://www.auraclegoldtester.com/ < to identify the gold Karat value in each of my pieces so I'll know what the raw gold value is before I sell them as a lot? I hear stories of people getting their gold devalued at the scarp buyer's shop because the stone test they use lacks intermediate Karat quantifications.

Erwincm said:
One more question guys - Should I purchase a gold tester like this one > http://www.auraclegoldtester.com/ < to identify the gold Karat value in each of my pieces so I'll know what the raw gold value is before I sell them as a lot? I hear stories of people getting their gold devalued at the scarp buyer's shop because the stone test they use lacks intermediate Karat quantifications.

This is worth printing out;
http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=3624#p30753

Electronic testers really aren't needed.

Jim

Thanks Jim but the acid test cannot determine karat values between 10, 14, and 24 right? It was my understanding that the main advantage of the electronic testers is that they can measure anything in between. Also, I have approximately 150 pieces to measure and it seems like the electronic tester would be quicker and cleaner. Have you used an electronics tester? If yes, it it accurate to a karat?

Erwincm said:
Thanks Jim but the acid test cannot determine karat values between 10, 14, and 24 right? It was my understanding that the main advantage of the electronic testers is that they can measure anything in between. Also, I have approximately 150 pieces to measure and it seems like the electronic tester would be quicker and cleaner. Have you used an electronics tester? If yes, it it accurate to a karat?

I had an electric tester, but I sold it without even trying it. Maybe someone has tried the one you mentioned and can give you better information than I can. With acid testing you need a good set of testing needles and practice.

Jim

That was my original plan which leads me back to my original inquiry for recommendations for reputable buyers (refineries) and my addendum question concerning karat identification for accurate spot value determination prior to submitting the pieces to a refinery for evaluation.

goldenchild said:
I would sell it all to a reputable refinery for the best return.

Most "legit" refineries "require" that you are a business & don't deal direct with the public & as well require a minimum lot size

Here is a refiner that a couple of the coin dealers in my area deal with (for years) & they are very happy with them :arrow: http://www.midstatesrecycling.com/

You have to be a business (any business) & I think they want minimum of 5 ozt "gold" (meaning 5 ozt of actual gold not 5 ozt of karat) --- I could be wrong about the minimum

Other wise I have heard good things about this company :arrow: https://thegoldcenter.com/

I have never done business with them (so can't actually recommend) - only heard they are good & you don't need to be a business & no minimum

Kurt

Back