Selling pgms

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madelyn

Hallo everyone, I'm from Namibia

I need a buyer that can buy continues and pay for platinum, palladium and rhodium.
If there are any interested buyers please pm me and I will share all the details.
These pictures indicate how the powder or sponge appear and it contains all 3 metals.
I would like to sell it as it is without further refining.

Attachments

• IMG_3469.JPG
    IMG_3469.JPG
    901.7 KB · Views: 731
  • 2017-08-14 13.25.18.jpg
    2017-08-14 13.25.18.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 731
I think you need to get a proper assay on that material as xrf results on powders can be very misleading, I do not think anyone will buy that material based on that result, failing that you need to recover purer metals or melt the powders into bars.

nickvc said:
I think you need to get a proper assay on that material as xrf results on powders can be very misleading, I do not think anyone will buy that material based on that result, failing that you need to recover purer metals or melt the powders into bars.

Yep. What Nick said. 8)

You've got spurious readings there. It's by no means accurate nor a viable assay to be used as a sales figure.

Jon

That's probably right, but I don't think it wil be out by a lot.
If I sell the material buyer can take the material, do assay and pay
Me according to that assay. I only need a fixed and reliable buyer for now as to grow a trustful relationship.
The material is continues and results always vary

Is there anyone that can connect me with a buyer on these metals?
I can't seem to find any buyers.

It may help to tell potential buyers the source of your material and how it was processed and the likely volumes to determine whether it is worthwhile to make an offer.

Thanks for the tip nickvc

I recovered this from smelting cats and collecting it with irion, I then dissolved irion in hcl and got the black powder which you see in my picture and scanned with the xrf.
I already send this batch to a previous member that was interested, but it doesn't look like things are going to work out as he is not answering my calls anymore, so it looks like I have been ripped off. But I don't want to make ecusations yet as I still have hope. It's been almost 4 weeks now and I don't have any assay results or cash.

The purpose of this post was to get a decent buyer who can pay me on all 3 metals. I can supply the material continually every week or second week, so I'm not looking for a one time deal.

So if anyone is interested to do long term business with great potential it would be great.
I'm trying to do this for a living but at the moment I'm so broke and stressed out just becuase I can't get a trustful buyer. The first material I supplied was the last of my funds I used to get this going as I've spent lots of time,blood and money just to get where am.

That's something that should be brought up though, it's not really an accusation of you lived up to your part of the deal, but the other member did not.

4 weeks with no contact is too long. If an issue or problem with assay came up, he should have no trouble texting you back and telling you what issues he encountered.

Its really for a mod to decide, but, I think the details of this transaction should be brought up in open forum to prevent more people from being taken for a ride.

Your right Topher
But he did Not stay out of contact the whole time. We communicated and he made a lot of empty promises.
It's only been the last 3 days, that he hasn't contacted me back or respond to my messages.
I will give it a little more time and if nothing happens I will report his name on hear and explain more in detail what happened and the mod can decide what to do.

In the meantime I would just like to do business and earn cash to move forward.

Members, please be aware. I find it somewhat suspicious, however I am not sure if it is the matter of not knowing or scam attempt.

User madelyn may send you sample material of mud and sand containing 1-4% of Pt and may ask you for some money upfront. That would be very unwise to send any money upfront as there is practically no values in the material he has, nor it has values worth spending time on such small quantity trying to recover 1-2g of PGMs

All of you know that I was struggling to get a buyer for my pgms. Ok , after my last post I finally sorted out things with the buyer I complained about cause he finally made payment. We didn't continue business any further because in all the struggle I managed to get a second buyer, ALENTIA!!!!

Alentia earns my trust after a few conversations over the phone and I agree to send him materials.
I send him 4 sepperate powders

1 containing 6 to 7 grams black zinc/ alluminium drop from AR that was recovered from ceramic catalytic converters.
2 containing 34 grams black zinc/ alluminium drop from AR that was recovered from ceramic catalytic converters
3 containing 50 grams brown powder recovered from metal catalytic converters which base metal was dissolved in hcl only.
4. Was just loose ceramic powder that came from the cats after I recovered the zinc/alluminium and washed the ceramic in water.

For the guys that has worked with ceramic cats before, probably would know that after treating cats in Hot AR or HCL/ Clorox, when solution is filtered and metals are dropped with zinc. You recover anything between 60 to 80 percent pgms/platinum and palladium?

I tested the material with stannous before I shipped it to Alentia and showed him the pictures of everything before shipping. He told me that stannous test does not mean anything after I mailed him the picture.
This is the picture
.IMG_3520.JPG
I took very, very small increments from each batch which was to small to weigh and did these stannous test.
All of you who knows the colours can see what it is.

After shipping with FedEx the parcel gets held up by customs in Canada and is inspected and takes two weeks to get to alentia.
Finally parcel arrives and he tells me it's going to take two weeks to get proper results and he also tells me I have shipped him sand and mud.

This is our conversation I copied and pasted from my phone after 2 weeks. His name is Serge and I'm Riyoso

[03:18, 10/14/2017] gold serge : All was recovered 1.7g of Pt out of 40g of mud that is less than 5%. This does not even cover the effort. I owe you nothing. Consider you paid for assay..
[09:11, 10/14/2017] Riyoso: How is this possible, the dominant metal was pd, the 4 grams of black mud was pure st according to stannous test. The 34grams tested very high in pd. According to my test you were suppose to recover 30 to 32 grams of metal. Something is not right.
[15:04, 10/14/2017] Riyoso: ?
[15:44, 10/14/2017] Riyoso: Serge, what is going on?
[16:01, 10/14/2017] gold serge : Nothing, you sent us mud and sand and wasted my time. I would assume it was honest error from your side.
[16:05, 10/14/2017] Riyoso: Do you think catalytic converters contain nothing, why would there be 1,7grams of pt in it and the rest is nothing? I showed you the stannous test on those powders and all of them contained high pd content, the brown mud as you call it was Atleast 80percent in pd. How did you go about refining it.
It would take me one day to refine the material i sent you and than i would have pure pt and pd.
[16:08, 10/14/2017] gold serge : You have refined mud and sand, not Pt. Refined material contains at least 99% of refined material.
[16:14, 10/14/2017] Riyoso: The powder i send you was not refined, it was recovered from catalytic converters. If i were to refine it it would have been pure.
And do you think that the stannous test is a lie, the first thing you should have done was to do a stannous test or a xrf scan Atleast to determine that there is value.
I think that this is a total rippoff and i want the material back because you can't even tell me what process was used for refining or assay.
[16:16, 10/14/2017] gold serge : Stannous test is correct. It will show presence of Pt even if it's 1gr on 100.
[16:20, 10/14/2017] Riyoso: Yes, but it also gets darker the more the metal is available, I've been working pgms for 10 years now, do you think i dont know what Im doing?
Please ship back my material as it was, cause there is Atleast 30 grams or more of pure pd in it. The brown sand was also high in pd.
Please ship it back?
[16:30, 10/14/2017] Riyoso: ?
[16:48, 10/14/2017] gold serge : Are playing stupid now?
[16:52, 10/14/2017] Riyoso: I need my material back, or i Will ask the forum members to assist me in this.
You can't give a layout of what has happened to the material and how it was processed. So either you pay me or you ship my material back.
[17:22, 10/14/2017] gold serge : Please send me $35 for shipping I will ship it back to you.
[17:23, 10/14/2017] Riyoso: What is left of the material?
[17:23, 10/14/2017] gold serge : Your material, all of it.
[17:24, 10/14/2017] Riyoso: How much was used for assay?
[17:25, 10/14/2017] gold serge : Sand and mud do not dissolve in acids I used
[17:28, 10/14/2017] Riyoso: I think you dont know how to process it and now you just saying numbers.
Ship my material back on your cost because you wasted my time and money or i Will take this further.
[17:30, 10/14/2017] gold serge : I did the work, so my time is lost, you did not. If you send me $35 I will ship it back to you, otherwise I do not have budget for it.
[17:36, 10/14/2017] Riyoso: You did not do anything, because you still have all the material and are lying about results, which i know for a fact is wrong. If i show this on the forum most of the guys Will agree with me, because everyone knows how it works.
I paid 60 dollars to ship this to you, so the only one losing is me.
I Will give you time this week to get funds and ship it.
[17:39, 10/14/2017] Riyoso: Please also send me pictures of my items with weight , so that i know everything is still there.
[20:29, 10/14/2017] Riyoso: ?

You should get assays from a few different places. XRF and stannous tests don't give you real results. And selling when depending on XRF numbers (or swab colors) from those results don't work.
You need assays done, or you should sell your converters whole. That is just my opinion, take it however you like. As it is your time and money at stake not mine.

I have asked the other moderators to take a look at this thread. Meanwhile I have locked all posts so far to prevent editing of posted material, but the thread remains open for further commenting... just as jimdoc did. :D

Göran

Jimdoc
I don't know if you have ever worked with cats or pgms before, but anyway. When precious metals are tested with stannous chloride, the higher the precious metal content the darker the colour will be. In my case I got very strong colours with very little material that was dissolved in AR, which means that the pgm content was very high. I shipped the same zinc drop to the previous guy, I gave him 13grams and I got paid for 9 grams.

I have a lot of experience with catalytic converters and his results is not right. He told me when I spoke with him on the phone that he washed the materials. These materials are not supposed to be washed, they need to go to AR straight for further refining, but I guess that showed me his experience.

He does not even speak about Pd and on the stannous colour test you can see the dark green which indicates Pd as the dominant metal. The orange is platinum, which was in the 6 to 7 gram.

I would appreciate if members that have experience in pgms comment on this, and the rest should stay out if they have no experience with it.

I had planned on refining converters, and I bailed for this very reason.
I realized that most people are better off selling them whole.

And if you have all this experience, then you shouldn't be having these problems you are having.
This is my last comment, as you are obviously way smarter than I am in the PGM field.

Back