How much is english gold worth?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

im1badpup1

Ive seen scottish gold auction for 4x the market price of gold.
And welsh gold for upto 20x the market price from clogau.

How much is English gold worth? That is gold what is sourced from natural deposition in england.
And what kind of amount is needed for it to be really worthwhile going through the selling etc.

English gold is worth:
http://www.kitco.com/charts/livegold.html

But it's fancy gold they say, with trace elements they say. Other then that gold is gold and this is just one way to make it seem to be worth more.
They "say" trace elements, I "hear" impurities. :D

I get what you mean. The elevated value from scottish or welsh is the romanticism of for example having a set of wedding rings made from probably the persons home country or yuppie fads. Collectors of specimens too.
But golds gold to many irrelevant of source.

The only way to get a premium is create a market that at present does not exist, you will need reasonable amounts to start so items can be manufactured , perhaps contact the makers of welsh gold items of jewellery to see if they would be interested in working with you to create a market.
With upcoming royal wedding perhaps offer to give some of your english gold to make the rings, the royals use welsh gold normally, that would attract a lot of publicity if it was used...

If you refine gold chemically it's just gold. The fingerprint that determines where it's from disappears. Welsh carries a premium but again it can't be refined chemically otherwise it becomes world gold. So to answer your question no English gold doesn't carry a premium to the best of my knowledge.

anachronism said:
Welsh carries a premium but again it can't be refined chemically otherwise it becomes world gold. So to answer your question no English gold doesn't carry a premium to the best of my knowledge.

Sorry mate you are wrong, welsh gold is refined but you have to do it as a stand alone job, most jewellery that is described as welsh gold only has a small percentage of this gold usually,I agree once refined it’s just gold but the sellers have a trace of exactly what metal is used and that it is indeed from a welsh source, it’s all marketing and hype but it seems to work.

In fact most of it is refined by smaller refiners who can make space to chemically refine it to keep it un polluted with other gold.

Slightly off topic and slightly on. I don't wish to hijack the thread:
I've heard entirely speculatively that certain gold bullion can be laced with radio isotopes to determine the source should bars be melted down, etc.
I never found anything about it on the intergoogle, but assuming it's not just a ghost story catburglars tell their kids, it there anything to suggest such a thing would survive the wet chemical refining process?

If you're refining down to 99.9 then I guess theoretically the 0.1% could contain the fingerprint of the source, but as you say that's when people are really "going for it" with regards to sourcing the gold. ~Of course as soon as you mix gold from different sources to make a large bar the whole thing goes out the window.

jason_recliner said:
Slightly off topic and slightly on. I don't wish to hijack the thread:
I've heard entirely speculatively that certain gold bullion can be laced with radio isotopes to determine the source should bars be melted down, etc.
I never found anything about it on the intergoogle, but assuming it's not just a ghost story catburglars tell their kids, it there anything to suggest such a thing would survive the wet chemical refining process?

Yes, both intentionally and naturally. Intentional trace elements can be used to prove authenticity (Shire Post Mint has done this on some of their collector series) as well as the ability to prove natural ore source. In the case of intentional, I am not sure if this is done at a concentration that would allow non-destructive testing via WDXRF or if it would still require destructive testing.

When you look at the capability of ICP, you would have to refine the gold past 6n to remove trace elements of source.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0584854794800197?via%3Dihub

Gold fingerprinting by laser ablation inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry

Abstract
Laser ablation inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (LA-ICP-MS) has been applied to the characterization of the trace element composition “fingerprint” of selected gold samples from Western Australia and South Africa. By comparison of the elemental associations it is possible to relate gold to a specific mineralizing event, mine or bullion sample. This methodology facilitates identification of the provenance of stolen gold or gold used in salting activities. In this latter case, it is common for gold from a number of sources to be used in the salting process. Consequently, gold in the prospect being salted will not come from a single source and identification of multiple sources for this gold will establish that salting has occurred. Preliminary results also indicate that specific elemental associations could be used to identify the country of origin of gold. The technique has already been applied in 17 cases involving gold theft in Western Australia, where it is estimated that up to 2% of gold production is “relocated” each year as a result of criminal activities.

Back