Where can I sell gold fill scrap for the most money?

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldmind7

I buy gold fill scrap of all kinds and sell to a couple refiner places that use acid. I see people on eBay bid like 50 cents a gram more for the good stuff like pocket watch cases,etc. than what I am getting. But they have the 13% eBay and PayPal fees. I don't want to sell it there as all the hassle of different buyers that don't pay and making lots of listings, etc. Where can I sell in the U.S.A. (by sending it through the mail) to get the most I possibly can? I only know these 2 places because I don't know where else to look. So I will try here, thank you for any help.

I would buy it from you.

PM if interested.

I have bought from quite a few members here.

I will pay out the day I receive it and check it all. Any dubious (HGE, ENIG, etc..) pieces will be documented, and then offered to be sent back to you.

If you wish to sell them post on the forum with good pictures , weights and descriptions, I’m sure there will be takers if the price is fair. The nice thing about doing it this way is it avoids confrontation as it is all documented.
I’m sure topher will be fair with you the above is just another suggestion to consider.

Id love to see pictures first. Especially on open forum, that way there is a level of transparency that protects both you and I.
(Or whoever you sell to)

There is nothing wrong with shopping for offers on here at all
....unless thats the only reason you became a member...

I wont assume that though. I'm sure you have lots of unique things to offer the forum, just like everyone else here does

While I have been buying it, I mainly buy locally (the term "locally" being subjective as to distance). Being able to see it first really goes a long way toward getting the best prices. Good pictures, with good descriptions are a must for getting the most out of it. A better description of where you are located might help, as it is possible a member is closer to you that would be willing to assist you as well.

Not being rude or judgmental, but when selling online, sometimes the seller has to build a reputation as well as the buyer, or refiner. Give it time, work with a few people, if necessary, and you will find what you are looking for.

Shark said:
Not being rude or judgmental, but when selling online, sometimes the seller has to build a reputation as well as the buyer, or refiner. Give it time, work with a few people, if necessary, and you will find what you are looking for.

Yes indeed.
First couple online buys, I do paypal as a transaction so I am covered.
Then, if everything is smooth, and its stuff I can appraise by pictures and accurate weights, I have no problem gifting paypal to the person that day. Or sending out a money order the same time they ship out (couple people dont trust that internet money!--after all, its just one's and zero's [figuratively and literally])

The OP having only one post, is definitely why I wanted to check it all first.

Selling for gold value, you will have a tough time getting more than what you would for a properly listed item on Ebay, even after fees.

Meaning, from what I see, it sells for 10-15% OVER it's value in gold.

snoman701 said:
Selling for gold value, you will have a tough time getting more than what you would for a properly listed item on Ebay, even after fees.

Here is the rub, on eBay I see people paying over $2 a gram for 1/10 12K glasses frames just other day, 3 high bidders against each other. My one place that does acids (one man show but in the phone book at least as a real business) pays $1.35 a gram but that is with the steel ear coil parts on the glasses arms. The bigger guy has 9 employees and pays $1.50 but only if ear coils are removed. Now both also give me 10% more they say as no fees like eBay/PayPal would take. So that is not near this $2 a gram+ people are paying even if take the 13% (I believe it is about that) eBay and PayPal fees off. They both say they make 10% about and can't pay me more, I don't believe it as people are paying $2+ a gram.

Just because people are paying $2.00 per gram or more on eBay, doesn't mean there's that much gold value.

Let's do some simple math. At this moment, gold is at $1,321 / troy oz. Divide that by 31.1 grams per ounce, and gold is selling at $42.48 per gram.

1/10 12K is 1/20th gold AT BEST. In fact, it's never that high because the gold will be slightly under karat (see Gold Content in Gold Filled Eyeglass Frames), but assuming it's actually 1/20th, that makes it worth $2.12 per gram if the glasses are brand new, have never been worn, and have never been wiped, handled, or polished.

But that's never the case unless they are new old stock. When glasses are worn, the outer gold layer is always being worn away. It's more realistic to hope for 3 to 3-1/2% gold content. That puts the value in the $1.27 to $1.49 per gram range.

It sounds like you're getting a pretty decent price unless your material really is brand new, never worn items.

Dave

I once paid (not on ebay, but from a live auction) $165 for a silver half dollar. With that information, I may or may not have lost my mind (still debatable at this time). Considering I sold it to a collector the next day for $200, I think I was in my right mind. While I knew the actual collector value, and knew of a buyer looking for one, there were several people that couldn't bid past the scrap price of the silver. What I am slowly getting at is often people are buying things at a higher price for something other than the metal values. For really nice frames, I know a lady here that will pay $10 to $15, but she may only buy 2 or 3 pair a year. And she is very picky about them. When I buy lots of gold filled, I have small outlets that will pay better than the price of the gold for the jewelry value. Again, they can be picky and only want certain items, and not very many of them at one time. Those glasses could have sold to a collector, or even someone investing in gold long term. People buy things, for what seems silly to most, every day believing they have good reason for paying that price.

If you dig deep enough on the forum, you'll find numbers posted that are pretty much dead nuts to what one should expect from a good mixed lot of gold filled.

Yeah, ...
I just account on the goldfilled being old, and worn.. And if its a mix lot, guess that its between 1.5% and 2.5% yield... If its more, yay! If its not, boo!

Shark said:
I once paid (not on ebay, but from a live auction) $165 for a silver half dollar. With that information, I may or may not have lost my mind (still debatable at this time). Considering I sold it to a collector the next day for $200, I think I was in my right mind. While I knew the actual collector value, and knew of a buyer looking for one, there were several people that couldn't bid past the scrap price of the silver. What I am slowly getting at is often people are buying things at a higher price for something other than the metal values. For really nice frames, I know a lady here that will pay $10 to $15, but she may only buy 2 or 3 pair a year. And she is very picky about them. When I buy lots of gold filled, I have small outlets that will pay better than the price of the gold for the jewelry value. Again, they can be picky and only want certain items, and not very many of them at one time. Those glasses could have sold to a collector, or even someone investing in gold long term. People buy things, for what seems silly to most, every day believing they have good reason for paying that price.

This post makes a lot of sense. Sometimes you have to be able to see past the precious metals value and buy accordingly. I've bought a lot of batches where the collectible or useful stuff sells for enough money to leave the refining product at zero cost.

snoman701 said:

So why do they pay that high? Are they that ignorant? They would lose money for sure???

Never underestimate peoples ignorance and stupidity. People will still surprise you by being even more stupid.

Göran

Back