I Can Toll Refine Keyboard Mylars For You!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Edited to add UPDATE 01

Hello members,

I've been processing and refining silver from keyboard mylars nearly a month now with great success. Although I'm not finished with my own supply, I have the process down packed and if you need to have your keyboard mylars done for you, I will do it.

Here are the terms.

1. You pay to have the mylars shipped to me. I'll pay to have the silver shipped back to you.
2. A minimum of 4lbs of mylars. (that's approximately 2 ozt silver)
3. No carbon mylars (the ones that have black contact points).
4. We split the yield 50/50.

Once all the mylars are stripped and everything is cemented, I'll weigh it, then split the cemented silver in two portions, then melt the two separately, and whichever weighs the most after melting, I'll send that to you.

I will be pouring the silver in 1 ozt molds. If there is more than 5 ozt silver for you, I'll be pouring them in 5 oz conical molds (saves time from doing 1 ozt at a time). If you insist on them being poured into a particular mold, let me know.

It should take me no more than 3 days to do 4 lbs at most. You should have your silver in about 7 days from the time I receive them (longer for more than 4 lbs).

PM me if you have any questions or concerns.

Kevin

[UPDATE 01]
Please include your forum username inside of the package because someone else may have the same name as yours.

I want to add an addendum to the initial thread above.

5. No keyboards with rubber buttons on them. The rubber outlines on them are fine, because they float in the Nitric and won't dissolve.
6. Optional - If requested, I can send you the cemented silver and you can melt it yourself.
7. Unless you object, I will post the member name, along with the weight of the mylars and the final portion sent back to you.
8. Please make note that I'm in Nashville, Tennessee - USA. With that said, I do all my processing outside and cannot do any processing when it's raining and (or) the temp is below 40F outside. Please use http://www.weather.com and type in zip code 37206. That way you can see what the weather is like in my area. That's another way you can verify the weather conditions here and don't feel like I'm taking too long.
9. First in, first out. I'll post everything in order as they come in.

Once I receive your mylars, I will let the forum know, so that way you don't have to feel like you're getting cheated at all. I insist that the forum knows about the processes I do for the members, so, if you have any problems, the moderators can, and will step in. Hopefully it'll never come to that point.

This thread hopefully, will help to serve as a reference guide as to what one can reasonably expect to recover from the amount of mylars they have.

Also, this thread hopefully, will also serve to show my credibility in processing mylars and to build trust amongst any member wanting me to process the mylars for them.

This forum has many trusted members here and I have trusted members here to do processing for me and I plan to be the same way.

Feel free to post here or pm me if you have any questions or concerns.

Kevin

[UPDATE]
How could I have forgotten no# 9.
No# 5 No longer apply. I will process mylars with rubber buttons on them (read my other post coming up)

silversaddle1 said:
Is the split sill 50/50 even if I were to send you 20 pounds?
Yes... but make sure you've read both threads above this one.

Kevin

I can say from personal experience that testerman is a very trustworthy person. I have done business with him several times, not with mylars, but with other business.

I think his offer of a 50/50 split is a good deal. With the relatively low value of silver and the fairly high price of nitric ( not to mention the dangers involved ). Taking anything less would probably not cover operating cost. At least that's how I see it. I have just started collecting mylars myself and when I finally have enough, if he is still offering his services, I will defiantly send mine to him. If nothing else than to keep me from having another setup in my shop.

Thank you for offering your services Kevin.

Thad

tek4g63 said:
I can say from personal experience that testerman is a very trustworthy person. I have done business with him several times, not with mylars, but with other business.

I think his offer of a 50/50 split is a good deal. With the relatively low value of silver and the fairly high price of nitric ( not to mention the dangers involved ). Taking anything less would probably not cover operating cost. At least that's how I see it. I have just started collecting mylars myself and when I finally have enough, if he is still offering his services, I will defiantly send mine to him. If nothing else than to keep me from having another setup in my shop.

Thank you for offering your services Kevin.

Thad
Thad, thanks for the kind words. It's been a pleasure doing business with you too, and hopefully we can do more together in the near future.

Kevin

Ocean said:
I will have a load ready soon.
No problem. Just be sure to pm me the tracking info so I'll know when to expect them.

Kevin

I know this is one of those questions a newbie asks but how much silver is in a mylar, I mean by the number of pounds you process divided by each piece. This may be a way for me to buy keyboards in bulk if the unit price is profitable.

joem said:
I know this is one of those questions a newbie asks but how much silver is in a mylar, I mean by the number of pounds you process divided by each piece. This may be a way for me to buy keyboards in bulk if the unit price is profitable.
Since I have many pounds of them, I also have sorted many of them so far, and to get an accurate amount per lb, I'll be doing 1 lb of the SAME mylar, times 2 or 3 times to get an accurate estimate.

I'm also going to take "PAIRS" (two sheets of mylars from one keyboard), to equal 1 lb, then process them that way too. I'm even going to do the top portion (1 lb) at one time, and the bottom portion (1 lb) and process them too.

What I see so far from all the mylars I've sorted out, NOT all keyboards have the same amount of silver on them. I also noticed that the longest keyboard mylar I've come across is approximately 17-1/2" long. I have some that are as short as 8" long.

I plan on creating and (or) having a thread merged about keyboard mylar yields, weights and the different styles out there.

To further answer your question, so far, I've gotten approximately 15 grams from the 1 lb I processed so far. Even if we were to give an estimate per lb, it would be hard to estimate per piece what one could expect. The only way to get that figure is to do one complete set of mylars at a time. Not random pieces. Remember, some mylars are shorter, while others are longer, which means that 1lb of short mylars will more than likely yield less than 1 lb of longer mylars.

Another thing to remember: 1 lb of mylars is NOT 1 lb worth of silver on them together.

Once I do my processing, I'll be able to tell which particular mylars will yield the most silver (top or bottom piece, and which mylar SETS will yield the most silver. Some keyboards only have 1 mylar sheet, while most have 2, and the ones that have 3 mylars, the middle sheet is simply a blank sheet.

I'll know more once I process more mylars, which is pretty easy to do.

I'll do a thread and post pictures to illustrate everything I'm talking about and to let you see what you need to know.

Kevin

Kevin,

Can you please post pictures of the types you don't want mentioned in the original 2 posts?

Thanks! Jack

Ocean said:
Kevin,

Can you please post pictures of the types you don't want mentioned in the original 2 posts?

Thanks! Jack
Hey Jack,

I'll post some pictures, but as I was replying to your post earlier today, I did some tests and the only mylars I'm not accepting right now are the ones that have black lines and dots on them.

I'm going to update/revise my original thread and followup posts because I've been able to dismantle mylars with buttons on them. I've taken pictures already, so bare with me and I'll upload pictures of the kind of mylars I'm not working on right now. Maybe in the future if I develop a way to remove the carbon, yet, not disturbing the silver, and other factors too.

NOTE: For those that sent in mylars and you have some with buttons on them, I'll process them, but before you send them in, you will need to read my next post which will tell you the actual weight of the mylars with the buttons still on them, along with the pictures.

Stay tuned! I'm making progress and have positive results from tests I've done so far on my own mylars.

Kevin

Good Job Kevin. Nice offer for what a lot of people pass on.... You know what they say, Find a niche and fill it. :D

You might want to do a test on those carbon sheets if they have silver under the carbon, carbon is porous and the nitric might just put that silver into solution regardless. But do your own controlled test and check with HCL after.

To all the posts that came in, I'm going to post back but my Internet is down and I'm on my phone. I'm doing my notes.

I did start on a members stuff today. I'm not done, but I've learned more.

I'll get back asap.

The weather did much damage in some parts here in Tennessee.

Kevin

Hey Kevin,

Hope y'all are ok.

I am still interested in sending you my mylars.

Waiting on more instruction(pics) about what you don't want.

Thanks,
Jack

Sorry for the delay everyone. I've been so busy and also, the weather has not been good here at all, all because I'm now refining precious metals. Tomorrow will be 61F, but later on in the evening, it's going to rain all the way into Tuesday. Then, on Tuesday we're going to have wind gusts upto 30 mph, and more rain at least two more days or more.

I just want to let you all know that I do have material from 3 members so far and I have started on one member's stuff, but like I said, the weather hasn't been good to do much, if processing outside.

From what I've been sent (some interesting mylars I must add), I've come up with a solution to deal with them. But for now, below are photos of mylars I'm not accepting right now, and I'll explain why.

mylars-not-accepted-01.jpg

mylars-not-accepted-02.jpg

mylars-not-accepted-03.jpg

mylars-not-accepted-03a.jpg

mylars-not-accepted-04.jpg

...continued in the next post.

Kevin

mylars-not-accepted-04a.jpg

For the most part, these are the keyboard mylars I'm not accepting, especially the all black ones. They're garbage.

Also note that in the 2nd picture from the post above that I have highlighted the connectors. Those connectors have silver in them too, but the only way to get to them is to peel off one side of the tape to expose the silver, but the problem is that I would then need to wipe it good with 91% isopropyl alcohol to remove the stickiness. I've found out that for 1) , the Nitric Acid won't remove the stickiness, and 2) once it's in the solution, some of the dissolved silver is sticking back to it.

So, to eliminate that problem, I'm having to cut those pieces off and either soak them in alcohol or incinerate them. but, before I cut them off, I must still remove the one side of the tape first or it'll be almost impossible to grab it and pull it off. You can easily feel where the tape begins as long as the connector is still attached to the mylar.

I've been doing some of my own, and it would take 50 lbs of mylars to get maybe, if I'm lucky, a pound worth.

I ordered this pan about an hour ago:
Stainless Steel Pan

Thanks fellas for the info on using stainless steel (300 series).

Now, I'll be able to process mylars much quicker without having to cut them into pieces, which makes the process longer than it should take. Hopefully it'll be here before the week ends, or at least by next weekend.

Feel free to post here or PM me if you have any questions or concerns. I'll post back here once something new come up or I discover something useful.

Kevin

It's fun trying to figure out what pays and doesn't pay when you first start processing for others. That learning curve is something else. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back