TRC, The Refining Company

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ocean

This review has been heavily edited by the original poster to the point that it no longer is of any value in determining whether or not a new customer should deal with this company, it is based on a refining lot that was never sent to the refinery. The original thread was started in 2010 and the company has had new ownership since 2015. Please read the entire thread before making any decisions about The Refining Company.

I had a bad experience with this company but decided it is in my best interest to leave it at this.

Edited 1/5/10: 3:35pm Eastern Standard Time

I am sorry this happened to you jack.Hopefully you'll get it straightened out.

Ocean,

I would hate to see a company get wrongfully slandered. Would you mind giving us some specifics? If you are still interested in doing business in NY you should deal with one of our resident refinery guys Fournines. He's da man.

Yeah that sure does look shady. But look on the bright side. You didnt lose a thing except a little bit of time. Thats strange that they said they would pay you up front. I dont think any reputable refinery would do that. I dont see how that scam would have worked on their end.

When I sent him my stuff(e-scrap) he said it might take awhile because "we get in 10's of truck loads a day". He also said they use Cyanide and all sorts of big processes.... At least I got my money! (An entire $15 from easily $50 worth of scrap). :|

EDIT- he also talked about how they own this GIANT lab where they can do all these tests to see what metals are in certain electronics....

Ocean---

It sounds like an "at the same time" scam. They wait until the last minute, then get the victim to believe that they are wiring the money at the same time you are shipping. But they don't.

That's why they call them con artists. The con is short for confidence.

But you didn't fall for it.

8)

They should make it so that the seller can watch everything from start to finish,that way there are no questions.

copperkid_18 said:
Ocean said:
I work with one of the largest e-scrap refineries in the US for my cell phone scrap

Which company is this? ( I have cell phone boards I need to sell).

I can pay you $10/lb for them when I return to my office Jan 15th.

They need to be clean with no screens attached.

I will also pay shipping.

The information in this thread will now be read and indexed by our little friend the google bot for all to find on the net. Great job of digging gentlemen. :)

Seems like Ocean's posts are very close to libel. Lot's of bad mouthing for a deal that never took place. Let's be careful jumping on a band wagon based on one persons ranting.

Ocean said:
Do others think it looks like Libel?
It's different when you are speaking of a personal experience and helping to warn others so that they may be aware of the potential hazards of dealing with this company.
It's no different than the thousands of references about the current and past owners of the company.We have many threads like this one on the forum to help warn others of the pitfalls with different refiners.It is quite literally the exact same thing as leaving feedback for a buyer/seller on ebay,only here you can go into detail about the situation.
So to answer your question....no it is not libel.

Mic and Ocean,
It sounds more like a witch hunt based on a deal that never occured. You have been quick to dig up facts but if any are false you are both treading on thin legal grounds. This company has done nothing wrong. Ocean's deal did not happen, anybody know why? Copperkid got less than he expected, was the company wrong or did he overvalue the material in his mind.?

Mic,
I hope for your sake you are not mistaken about the history of Metalbac and that it is the very same one.

You have both done an excellent job of smearing (sp) these people. Aside from not buying oceans stuff what awfull thing did they do to deserve this?

You should both read at least the last line of the definition below.

Defamation—also called calumny, vilification, slander (for transitory statements), and libel (for written, broadcast, or otherwise published words)—is the communication of a statement that makes a claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may give an individual, business, product, group, government, or nation a negative image. It is usually a requirement that this claim be false and that the publication is communicated to someone other than the person defamed (the claimant).[1]

In common law jurisdictions, slander refers to a malicious, false,[2] and defamatory spoken statement or report, while libel refers to any other form of communication such as written words or images.[3] Most jurisdictions allow legal actions, civil and/or criminal, to deter various kinds of defamation and retaliate against groundless criticism. Related to defamation is public disclosure of private facts, which arises where one person reveals information that is not of public concern, and the release of which would offend a reasonable person. "

False light laws are "intended primarily to protect the plaintiff's mental or emotional well-being."[5] If a publication of information is false, then a tort of defamation might have occurred. If that communication is not technically false but is still misleading, then a tort of false light might have occurred.[5]

In most civil law jurisdictions, defamation is dealt with as a crime rather than a tort.[

Back