Electroplate gold from AuCl3

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joem

Can this be done?
If yes what would be the electrical requirements, anode & cathode requirments, amd other things.
If not, why not?

joem said:
Can this be done?
If yes what would be the electrical requirements, anode & cathode requirments, amd other things.
If not, why not?

http://info.goldavenue.com/info_site/in_glos/in_glos_wolhill.html

Harold

Jo, do you mean > Make a solution of AuCl3 and use this solution to plate jewelery etc without the need for a Cyanide based plating solution, or do you mean the Wohlwill process Harold provided a link to above for the electrolytic purification method to produce fine 99.95 Au?

That's a good question. My mind went to the reclamation of gold from gold chloride. That works, and well. Plating, by sharp contrast, will not. If base metal is introduced, the gold chloride will cement, yielding a spongy deposit. Same thing happens with copper. In order to plate copper on steel, using a sulfuric electrolyte, a cyanide strike is first applied, yielding a thin layer of copper that prevents the copper sulfate from cementing on the steel.

Harold

Harold_V said:
joem said:
Can this be done?
If not, why not?

Harold
Three questions from the nonchemist hillbilly (ME! :p 8) )
1. Is the AuCl3 crystallized, then dissolved in HCl or is standard "de-chlorined" ( :? :oops: ) AuCl3 an acceptable electrolyte?
2. Will impurities from the electrolyte deposit as slimes, as well, or only from anode bars?
3. Does this question make any sense?
dtectr

dtectr said:
1. Is the AuCl3 crystallized, then dissolved in HCl or is standard "de-chlorined" ( :? :oops: ) AuCl3 an acceptable electrolyte?
I never put in to operation the Wohlwill cell I built, but it is my understanding that one simply makes gold chloride as the electrolyte. I can not speak from experience.

2. Will impurities from the electrolyte deposit as slimes, as well, or only from anode bars?
The first consideration is to remember that parting cells work very best with high quality feedstock. That's to insure a respectable lifespan of the electrolyte, and to insure the end product is of high purity.

I would expect that some of the contaminants in solution would report in the recovered gold. The balance would remain in suspension, assuming there was no saturation of contaminants. If nothing else, some of the contaminants would be entrapped in the gold deposit, which is quite nodular in configuration. It does not plate out as a smooth surface.

3. Does this question make any sense?
Probably a lot more sense than my answers! :)

Harold

Harold_V said:
joem said:
Can this be done?
If not, why not?

Harold
yes to produce a finer gold but what is the minimum electrical requirements

The only process for directly refining gold electrolytically that is known to have been reduced to practice is that patented by Dr. Kmil Wohlwill. Hamburg, Germany, United States patents 625,863 and 625,864.

The feature protected by patent is the electrolyte. This is composed of gold chloride solution rather strongly impregnated with free hydrochloric acid, and it is in this latter point that the significance of the invention lies. If a gold anode be placed in a neutral or only slightly-acid solution of gold chloride, opposed by a suitable cathode, gold will be deposited by an electric current, but little or no gold will be dissolved from the anode. Free chlorine is given off; a result not to have been anticipated since chlorine is an active solvent for gold. Upon the addition of free hydrochloric acid to the bath, a point is reached where the chlorine at the anode is suppressed, and gold passes into solution, equivalent for equivalent, to that deposited. The strength of the electrolyte is easily maintained by such additions of gold chloride from time to time as will be equivalent to the copper, platinum, etc.,

Second: The cells, which are of white porcelain (Berlin ware), arc 15 inches long x 11 inches wide and 8 inches deep. These are filled with a prepared solution of gold tri-chloride containing 30 grammes of gold per litre (3 8-10 Troy ounces per gallon), the depth of the solution being such as not to entirely submerge the anodes. In each of these cells arc suspended 12 anodes and 13 cathodes, in multiple. The anodes are each 6 inches in length, 3 inches wide and }A inch thick. The corresponding cathodes are of fine gold and rolled down to 1-100 of an inch in thickness. The distance between anode and cathode is ij-j inches. In our present working seven cells are placed end to end on a bed of sand, underlying which is a series of steam pipes by which the temperature of the bath may be raised and maintained at any desired degree. At present our cells are kept at from 500 to 55° C. The increased temperature serves to reduce the voltage required, and at the same time to diminish the amount of free acid necessary to suppress evolution of chlorine at the anodes.

Circulation of the electrolyte by mechanical means is necessary to secure uniform disintegration of the anode and deposition of the gold.

The seven cells in use are connected up, in scries, with the dynamo, which is at present regulated to furnish 100 amperes. The tension between the terminals of the seven cells varies from 4}4 to 5 volts, dependent upon temperature, strength of solution, etc.

The chemical equivalent of gold is very high, and the electromotive force required for the deposition of gold is very low, so that the power necessary for running the plant is insignificant. With only seven cells of our plant in operation, we are refining about 5,000 ounces per week, with the expenditure of about 1 horse-power. One attendant suffices to manage the work, with the occasional assistance of a second workman.

The cost for hydrochloric acid in the hath is 20 cents per 1,000 ounces of deposited gold.

We can increase our refining capacity to 50,000 ounces per week with our present plant.

Beside the advantage the process offers for the refining of gold with an insignificant consumption of acid, with little labor, and small expenditure of power, an important one should be mentioned, viz., the recovery of any platinum present in the bullion. This dissolves, but is not deposited with the. gold. When the electrolyte becomes sufficiently charged with platinum, the gold is first precipitated by sulphur dioxide, and removed. Then the platinum remaining in solution is separated as ammonium platinum chloride. Lastly, the copper is recovered by passing the wash waters over iron scrap.

With these advantages to its credit, the process has limitations which are serious ones. Any silver in the anodes will, of course, be converted into insoluble chloride, and if the percentage be small will fall to the bottom of the containing tank as "slimes." But if the amount of silver exceed 5 per cent, the chloride tends to adhere to the anode, as a crust, which must be mechanically removed.

Furthermore, any considerable quantity of copper present in the bullion to be treated is undesirable, since the electrolyte, in that case, must be renewed inconveniently often.

http://books.google.com/books?id=LCnmAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA158&dq=Wohlwill+Process&hl=en&ei=svXRTdGGIIeztwfSsMGiCg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&sqi=2&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=Wohlwill%20Process&f=false

The problem with electroplating gold and silver is that you want a high concentration of metal ions to make the electrochemical deposition the dominating one (and not just electrolyse water), but this will give a grainy or crystalline deposit. To stop that, you need a low ionic concentration.

.......... thats quite a contradiction!

If a complex is formed there will be very few free ions, but the metal is there, and this makes the metal deposit in a nice even layer. Unfortunately, the best ion to form these complexes is the cyanide ion....... And for some reason The Mind Police is a little reluctant about letting normal citizens own enough poison to wipe out the neighbourhood.
:mrgreen:

There are some cyanide free commercial solutions, but the one I've seen didn't impress me.

The anode could be a fine gold plate (ideally donating the same amount of gold you plate out), and the cathode is whatever you want to plate.

Hello Joem,

Electrodeposition of gold from chloride solution is well known in gold-refinining (Wohlwill-process). aflacglobal gives you a nice detailed overview in his post from May, 16. In order to answer your questions I just add some more information.

1.) Electrical requirements: A current flow of 100 A, mentioned in aflacglobals post means a flow of 100 A per hour (100 A/h). Thus, if you run your Wohlwill-cell for 1 hour on 100 A current-strength, this corresponds to a total current of 100 Ah. The Coulomb-equivalent of 1 mole of transported electrons is 68.4 Ah, what means, that a total of 1.46 moles of electrons have been transported from cathode to anode, bringing gold from the anode into solution and depositing metallic gold at the cathode. Au(III) in solution takes up 3 electrons at the cathode, being reduced to Au(0) (metallic gold). The atomic weight of gold is 196.967 grams. Therefor a maximum of 196.967/3 grams = 65.7 grams of gold is deposited at the cathode, corresponding ideally to an equal weight loss of the anode.

2.) Anode- and cathode-requirements: These are well described in aflacglobals post. The anodes usually are placed into acid- and oxidant-resistant filtering bags, to hold back any solid impurities originating from the dissolving anodes. Main-impurity is solid AgCl, together with some metallic gold, caused by partial disintegration of the anodes. The electrolyte and it's vapours are highly corrosive. Therefor all current-leads and fixing installations have to be highly corrosion resistant.

3.) Operation-conditions: After my experience a temperature of not less than 70oC has to be maintained. Best concentration-range of the electrolyte is around 100 g gold / litre, essentially not less than 50 g Au/l. Gold-content of the anodes has to be at least 98% Au. In addition the copper-content has to be as low as possible.

4.) Soluble impurities: These are mostly Pt, Pd and Cu, Cu being the most critical. In the high chloride concentrations of the electrolyte, Cu(II) at the cathode can be reduced to the soluble complex anion [CuCl2](-), which itself reduces dissolved Au(III) to Au(I), as soluble [AuCl2](-), the Cu(I) being reoxidized to Cu(II). The dissolved chloro-complex of Au(I) is not stable and decomposes slowly to metallic gold and Au(III), thus leading to a more or less rapid depletion of gold in the electrolyte.

freechemist

At 100% anode and cathode efficiencies, gold(lll) would dissolve and deposit in the acid chloride (Wohlwill cell) system at the rate of 2.449 grams/amp-hr (2.449 g/amp/hr).

Hello joem,

In my first post about this subject the numbers I gave you are totally wrong. 1 mole of transferred electrons corresponds to 26.8 Ah total electrical current. Thus the corrected version of item 1.) reads as follows:

1.) Electrical requirements: A current flow of 100 A, mentioned in alflacglobals post means a flow of 100 A per hour (100 A/h). Thus, if you run your Wohlwill-cell for 1 hour on 100 A current-strength, this corresponds to a total current of 100 Ah. The Coulomb-equivalent of 1 mole of transported electrons is 26.8 Ah, what means, that a total of 3.73moles of electrons have been transported from cathode to anode, bringing gold from the anode into solution and depositing metallic gold at the cathode. Au(III) in solution takes up 3 electrons at the cathode, being reduced to Au(0) (metallic gold). The atomic weight of gold is 196.967 grams. Therefor a maximum of 196.967/3 * 100/26.8 grams = 245.0 grams of gold is deposited at the cathode, corresponding ideally to an equal weight loss of the anode.

Thanks to GoldSilverPro, who noted my big mistakes and gave you the correct theoretical deposition-rate for gold in a Wohlwill-cell.

freechemist

I’m just glad to see a member such as freechemist find this forum and post/comment with the experience that he obviously has, it is a welcome addition. I am sure GSP would agree that he has shown his competence in the short time he has been here. We all make mistakes from time to time, and freechemist was elevated in my opinion when he was man enough to say “whoops”.

GSP is also being a bit humble saying “I just own a lot of plating books”. To the best of my knowledge GSP has done more electrochemistry and plating than anyone else on this forum.

Back