All about anodes and cathodes.

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

want2ride

I am wondering if we can compile a list of what the different anode and cathode combinations that are used for the different processes, desired voltage range, the reason why it is used for that process, the effectiveness and the electrolyte used in each process.
Leeching/deplating.... etc.

No offense but, to me, that would seem to be a big waste of time and it could take forever. The reason being is that there can be many options for any one system, and the list of possible systems could be very, very long. The electrodes are selected based on what you are trying to achieve and the chemicals involved. You need to find a good text on electrochemistry and study it. I think you're looking for a shortcut where there really isn't one. Once you know the basics, you won't need a list.

I probably have as much or more experience with electrolytic systems than anyone on the forum and I know I'm not going to spend the many hours necessary to formulate what I consider to be a worthless list.

I have a good idea of what i am going to try for my application. I was compiling the list for people to reference. If everyone thinks it is a collossal waste of time i guess this thread won't go anywhere.
Guess we will just have to wait and see if anyone contributes.

want2ride said:
I have a good idea of what i am going to try for my application. I was compiling the list for people to reference. If everyone thinks it is a collossal waste of time i guess this thread won't go anywhere.
Guess we will just have to wait and see if anyone contributes.

When it comes to anodes and cathodes be it for electroplating or recovery of precious metals you have the best professional opinion your going to get, I don't think there is another member on this forum who has more experience using cells than goldsilverpro.

Like the man said grab a good book on the subject and start reading.

Regards
Rusty

I think you all are misinterpreting the reason for the compilation. I have time to read, in the last 6 months i have read The Real Lincoln, Atlas Shrugged (and anthem), Economics In One Lesson, and i started reading The Fountainhead just before i got started reading this forum and Hoke's book in palladium's sig (about half through) in the last couple days.

I can read and i have time, i was doing this for everyone's benefit that doesn't necessarily have the time i do. Do you have a specific book to recommend?

Guess i am on my own for the list. I didn't intend on any individual spending hours on it, i was thinking to start with the basics and go from there.

I'd look at it. Just keep it simple like starting points for purification of each kind of metal. Like copper, x for cathode, x for anode, x for chemical solution, x for voltage and setup, and so on.

The real problem with this issue is that electrolytic parting of the vast majority of elements isn't within the capability of the home shop refiner. The problems with electrolyte contamination are difficult to overcome. The sole exception appears to be the parting of silver, and even that is troublesome, in particular when fed low grade silver. Contaminants quickly alter the behavior of the deposition, lowering quality in the bargain.

I don't think your efforts would be wasted----just not particularly handy for the vast majority of readers. Those of us that have experimented with electrolytic parting learned, long ago, that it's a waste of time.

Incidentally, I speak from experience. My failure came in attempting to part copper for the recovery of values. That is a losing proposition unless the copper is of high purity in the beginning.

Harold

If you have a specific question, e-mail me and I'll do my best to answer you in a way that you'll understand. Let me know how much chemistry (in years) that you have studied.

Dr Poe,

The whole concept of this forum is public sharing of information. Your soliciting of members to drop you a private e-mail does little to help others learn.

We welcome your presence on this forum and your years of experience, but if you're here to solicit business, post your information in the business section. If you're here to participate in the open forum even better.

Answering 4metals;
No, you've got me wrong. I don't charge for my information. The reason for a private e-mail is to give very long and detailed answers. I was trying to be considerate.

Dr. Poe

I came to this forum after 30 years in the precious metal refining industry, I knew I knew a lot about the refining industry when I joined, what I didn't know was how much more I could learn from the open discussion that takes place here. Any long detailed answers will be read by a good number of our members, comments will freely flow, and you may begin to look at your own methods in a new light.

Thanks for posting, you won't be the first to post a long detailed post as many of us have done on this forum. And again Welcome!

OK 4metals, I get it. Still a lot of these guys already have pourbaix diagrams and such. Should I still include them in these discussions? I also found out that there are a lot of the guys that have short cut basic inorganic chemistry. They want to just skip to precious metals refining. There is a lot that just isn't in the text books anymore. Everyone knows that molten gold is so hot that it glows yellow/white. Fewer know that a strong light shone upon the molten gold reveals it to be green.
I wouldn't feel right to give instruction on plating gold via cyanide without listing the safety requirements.
I caught a man trying to fuse silver oxalate last year. I stopped him before he could kill himself and everyone around him.
I just don't want to give out information that leads one to destruction. I'd rather share what I've learned that's beneficial.
I have in my files, bath compositions for electroplating carat gold hues. Each formula would fill this little box.
I know less about today's computer tech than I should know. I don't even know how to enlarge this box. Dr. Poe

Dr. Poe said:
I don't even know how to enlarge this box. Dr. Poe
There is no need. Just continue to add text----the contents scroll, so the box size is, for all practical purposes, to infinity. (It's not really that big---but you're highly unlikely to create a post that it won't handle.)

We have an unspoken policy on the board to discourage posting any process that has unnecessary risks. We also like to point out things that can be dangerous---like involving ammonium hydroxide or alcohol in gold chloride.

The vast majority of the readers of this forum (myself included) have no formal chemical training-----with there being no shortage of people that fancy themselves creative, so they're always trying something new. Be quick to mention hazards, without giving instructions on how to destroy one's self.

Harold

I take the opportunity offered, Dr. Poe
please explain in your words why molten
gold with strong white light illumination
gives the green color? Thanks in advance

Lino1406 said:
I take the opportunity offered, Dr. Poe
please explain in your words why molten
gold with strong white light illumination
gives the green color? Thanks in advance
A good question----an observation I made as well.

Harold

Back