Sun Ultra Sparc CPUs

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like a nice stash.

Don't waste your time taking the thread out of the fuzzy connectors though. I made that mistake originally and cost myself a huge amount of time.

I tried to remove some of the fuzzy connectors when I first got interested
in them and I gave up. Indeed, it is time consuming with the mechanical removal
processes I used at that time. 8)

If it's just molybdenum with gold over it (I seem to remember these)...

nitric will dissolve the molybdenum

but much more expedient may simply be melting with nitre to give a sodium molybdate slag and pure gold.

You see, once upon a time, I would roast platinum-clad molybdenum wire packed in a quartz tube. The MoO3 would distill off, and the platinum stayed behind. A quick rinse with ammonia solution and the platinum was quite pure. Like taking candy from a baby!

i have tried processing fingers before in ap. and i find it time consuming to wash each individual sticks clean. not to mention handling stripped fingers with chemicals still present.

removing the fuzz buttons eliminates the need for this washing step. it also produces less volume of waste solutions.

i dont know but picking this buttons off one at a time somehow relaxes me. i did it after work while watching tv. after a while i got proficient with it and finished the 2lbs. in no time.

mls26cwru said:
my jaw hit the table when i saw that bucket of fuzz wire... 2lbs and counting?!?!?! thats a lot of gold and a lot of time removing the wire!!!

just to be clear...this fuzz buttons came from 2 lbs of connectors.

hfywc said:
average og 0.385grams per this kind of cpu spacer. but they come in different sizes....

This post is completely out of the ballpark. It's wildly inaccurate guys. It's approx 0.11g per fully loaded fuzz connector that is "full sized" and scales accordingly downwards for those that are smaller/partially filled.

anachronism said:
hfywc said:
average og 0.385grams per this kind of cpu spacer. but they come in different sizes....

This post is completely out of the ballpark. It's wildly inaccurate guys. It's approx 0.11g per fully loaded fuzz connector that is "full sized" and scales accordingly downwards for those that are smaller/partially filled.
I completely agree with Jon on this. I ran a rather large lot of these and the yield was no where near .385 per. Several different sizes and variations.

Edit for spellcheck

There are several numbers thrown around in this thread:

Kurt, never reported back the total yield but was quite happy with the yield.
kurt said:
The plastic things (that make the connection between the CPU & the board have about .65 grams of wire each so thats about 13 grams of wire recovered in the dish

glondor said:
I am not at my shop for accurate data, but (from memory) the berry-copper-gold wool is 55% gold by weight and the sun spark chips are very very low yield by weight. very low. The copper-tungsten heat spreader throws the yield numbers drastically.

auratus72 said:
I refined a batch of 350 grams (whole connectors,75-80 gms pins approximately ) got about 28 gram fines.

pgms4me said:
I get lots of servers and the spacers with the fuzz wires are the best yielding things I ever did.
the larger sparc IV processor fuzzes gave me the best yields. .65 grams of contacts (each one) yielded .4 grams of gold. The last one I did had 16 processors in it. that gave over 6 grams just for the fuzz connectors.

spaceships said:
We processed 320 in AR as a total today, with an initial yield total of 36.6g.

0.1143g per fuzzy - all sun sparc ones.

This is obvious raw metal fuzzies before refining.
hfywc said:
average of 0.385grams per this kind of cpu spacer. but they come in different sizes....

mls26cwru said:
the gold fuzz yields from my runs were similar.... i got an average of 2.7wt% Au vs. holder weight, and 18.0wt% Au vs. fuzz wire weight.

And in http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=266996#p266996
Tndavid said:
Well after all was said and done. With the smaller surface area of these connectors the yield came out around 0.07ish per fuzzie.

The numbers are all over the place, from 0.4g for Sparc IV down to 0.07g per connector.
From 55% of metal weight to 18% of metal weight.

The yield per connector obviously depends on the size of connector. The yield per fuzz button metal depends on wire diameter and base metal content. These connectors come in several types with gold on beryllium copper, gold on molybdenum, gold on tungsten... and more. To state an absolute number for fuzz button connectors is impossible, it's a product that has been on the market for over 50 years.

Göran

anachronism said:
hfywc said:

0.385grams is the weight of the fuzz buttons per cpu spacer. i have not refined any yet.

Latest posts

Back