Ammonia Soluble Hexachloropalladates (IV)

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a photo of the precipitate mentioned earlier (top photo).

I've been so busy with other refining tasks that I have not had time to do anything with this.

But I am starting to see more PGMs coming through my shop.

The bottom photo; stannous tests taken from solutions that dissolved some jewelers filings and clippings.

Those orange test strips where taken AFTER the gold had been precipitated.

The test came from the green solution in the middle photo after the gold was precipitated with SMB.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    657.6 KB · Views: 272
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 272
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    538.7 KB · Views: 272
I'm getting ready to refine the Pd salt from my silver cell slimes that I just posted. Believe it or not, I've still got the solutions of palladium that I was working with in this thread!

I've completely forgotten how to do it because it was several years ago. But now I'm ready to shoot a video of the entire process.

i may have to do this in several parts.

kadriver

Would you like any advice?

There are some methods you can use that are not the traditional [PdCl4]2- to [Pd(NH3)4]2+ method that most use. That method largely but inadequately separates Pd from Pt.

In that method, one boils the freshly oxidized solution...Pd(IV)-->Pd(II) + Cl2 while Pt remains Pt(IV) and can come down as X2PtCl6 and is rinsed with ammonium or potassium chloride that is slightly acidic. The liquor is then made ammoniacal and the pink salt dissolved up. Pure Pd yields a colorless solution. Filtration from any hydroxides and then acidification with HCl to a pH of 2 yields Pd(NH3)2Cl2, the yellow salt often found as an end product of conventional Pd refining.

If you're interested Kevin, we can talk about about the bromide method. In my opinion, the bromide method makes as good as Pd as any other!

I watched the system that produces chlorine and drives it into the system. Instead, I know the KClO3 method, which by dropping KClO3 into the solution produces chlorine in situ and I assume TCCA will do same.

Lou said:
Would you like any advice?

There are some methods you can use that are not the traditional [PdCl4]2- to [Pd(NH3)4]2+ method that most use. That method largely but inadequately separates Pd from Pt.

In that method, one boils the freshly oxidized solution...Pd(IV)-->Pd(II) + Cl2 while Pt remains Pt(IV) and can come down as X2PtCl6 and is rinsed with ammonium or potassium chloride that is slightly acidic. The liquor is then made ammoniacal and the pink salt dissolved up. Pure Pd yields a colorless solution. Filtration from any hydroxides and then acidification with HCl to a pH of 2 yields Pd(NH3)2Cl2, the yellow salt often found as an end product of conventional Pd refining.

If you're interested Kevin, we can talk about about the bromide method. In my opinion, the bromide method makes as good as Pd as any other!

Thanks Lou. I'm looking to go the easiest and least technical route. I did some before and got some metal. I dissolved the brick red Pd in ammonia, then acidified with HCl, filtered out the Pd salt and calcined It in a fuzzed quartz dish. It made 992 palladium. It worked well for me and seemed straight forward.

What's the pay out for palladium. If I sell it, can I just send you the sponge? Thank you.

kadriver

To quote a very well respected Australian forum member:

"The only reason I am still here at my ripe old age is because I let other people play with PGMs. Most of them are dead now."

Lou,
so what is your non traditional method for the Pt/Pd separation?
I have mixed PGMs that came down as primarily Canary Yellow with some deep orange. I have hit it with KClO3 getting it hot to 77C and the pH is 1.8.
The oxidizer is slowly going off and the yellow layer in the beaker diminishing.
The supernatant is mostly clear pale yellow. Again all the PGMs are in that mix but if I can get even the Pd and Pt isolated that will help me get those to the refiner.

I finally got my palladium refined.

I've turned this post into a video

here is the link to the video:

http://goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=26855

any comments would be welcomed

Thank you

kadriver

Back