Processing fingers in poor man's nitric acid

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geo

This is my video on making and using poor man's nitric acid. I can't get the video to embed so you will have to follow the link.

https://youtu.be/-Lojvw46Kgk

Thanks Geo, a very informative video.
I noticed a couple of comments regarding a white powder residue.
I have a bag of the Hi-Yield Nitrate of Soda and there is a note
on the label that it contains 580 lbs of Calcium Carbonate CaCO3
per ton (%29).
I'm not a chemistry whiz, but I think some insoluble compound is
being produced from it reacting with either the H2SO4 or the HNO3
produced.
Perhaps some member could provide more information on the
chemistry involved.

Calcium sulfate would precipitate as a white powder... it's gypsum.

Göran

Thanks junkandtreasure. I will have find out if that is the same brand wide or regionally. I may have to buy a better grade.

Geo said:
Thanks junkandtreasure. I will have find out if that is the same brand wide or regionally. I may have to buy a better grade.

Geo

Have you considered using "Spectracide" brand stump remover as your nitrate source - it is potassium nitrate which I believe does not have any other additives such as the Calcium Carbonate in the Hi-Yield (its straight up potassium nitrate)

I have never had to make poor mans nitric because I have always had access to cheap nitric - I however do use the Spectracide (potassium nitrate) as a flux ingredient in "some" of my smelting flux's when I think I need an added oxidizer in the flux (its hard on crucibles so only use it if/when I think I need the added oxidizer)

The Hi-Yield (I believe) has the Calcium Carbonate (a base) in it to act as an inhibiter so that the nitrate is time released as a fertilizer - other wise the nitrate would release/dissolve to quickly & burn the plants you are fertilizing with it

Spectracide stump remover can be found in the garden department of Home Depot or Lowes &/or most other farm & garden shops

As an added note; - you have to peel the label on the back of the Spectracide bottle to see that it's potassium nitrate

Kurt

Attachments

• WP_20180616_07_19_05_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180616_07_19_05_Pro.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 213
  • WP_20180616_07_18_36_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180616_07_18_36_Pro.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 213
Hey Geo,

I know that 'watching the bottom line' is paramount in our small scale refining world, but why not just buy some sodium nitrate from Duda Diesel which is 99% pure, and cheap- $12.50 for 5 lbs plus some shipping. I buy mine this way and 5 lbs lasts me a couple of years. I don't do fingers in poor man's nitric anymore because I have moved on to AP, as many have.

Sodium nitrate.JPG

Dennis

Yea, I saw that too. Totally unintended. :-D Dudadiesel is actually about three miles from my house.

Back