contact pins

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geo

I am doing a refine for a gentleman that sent me some contact pins that have tiny points. The pins had a silver color but testing showed the pin were coated in tin. The points are a karat gold that contains silver. Percentages are unknown but the silver to gold ratio is very low. I would estimate at less than 3% silver by weight. This could be skewed because the final clean up of the points was done in hot dilute nitric acid.

100_1773.JPG

contact 2.jpg

contact 1.jpg

100_1746.JPG

100_1747.JPG

Nice!

I think I have seen something similar some time. But the contact point are tiny, how much pins did you need for 32 g of points? It must have been many kilos.

... time to try finding my stash. I should still have mine somewhere. :D

Göran

There was 12.5 kg of pins total and the amount in the pic is about half of the points. It's looking like there may be 2 ounces total.

That's quite a job to process. I probably only have less than 100 grams of pins. Never had a lot of it.

Thanks for the information.

Göran

snoman701 said:
You did 12.5 kg of pins in nitric?

Holy nox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sno
I think Geo only did the final clean up in nitric not the whole amount...

nickvc said:
snoman701 said:
You did 12.5 kg of pins in nitric?

Holy nox

Sno
I think Geo only did the final clean up in nitric not the whole amount...
I'd hope not!

Mostly because it's like Be Cu

I removed the tin with muriatic acid and then dissolved the pins in copper(II) chloride. There was a lot of CuCl crystals that took a couple gallons of fresh HCl to dissolve and then I washed the points in a solution of sodium hydroxide. Followed that with some water boils and then dilute nitric acid to clean the points up nice and clean.

Back