Gold Plated Bath and Lighting Fixtures

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrappappy

We have some gold plated shower frames that were removed from a late 60's remodel and they seem to have a decent amount of plating based on the deep color. But they're also pretty heavy so I'm not sure if they're worth the shipping cost when I eventually send stuff to a toll refiner.

Also have some lighting fixtures that are much more recent with thinner plating but they should be much lighter. for shipping.

But I started wondering why I never see this type of stuff listed for refining. Anyone have experience with this type of stuff.. is it considered low yield or some other reason it's not common in the gold refining community? My brother in-law is a general contractor and said he runs into this type of stuff often but is it worth the trouble of setting them aside?

20180913_194755.jpg

20180913_194809.jpg

20180913_194845.jpg

I tested some Gold scraped off 'Gold-plated' door knobs a while ago and ended up with a negative stannous test. Best to test on small sample first to confirm it is actually Gold plated

Only about 1/4 of what looks gold, on a copper bearing base, is actually gold. Usually it's an aluminum bronze buffed to a high polish.

That which does throw a gold signature on XRF just gets thrown in to a barrel. Maybe some day I'll process it...but it's realistically unlikely.

NOTHING in your pictures are gold plated :!: :!: :!:

They are ether anodized - or titanium nitride PVD coated - or electrophoretic lacquer coated - all of which can provide a finish that has the appearance of 24K gold plating but are NOT gold

Which of these methods are used to provide a coating with the "appearance" of gold plating - but contain NO gold depends on the base metal they are applied to &/or the application the hardware is used for

Kurt

Back