Reuse of HCL

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edj1963

Hello,

Can I reuse The HCL + peroxide from my copper recovery tank?

The Acid has lost most of its "green" can I siphon and add more peroxide to process more foils? is there a end of life for the hcl?

Thanks

Steel immersion causes the copper to plate out as sponge on the steel. Good way to use up some case parts :)

Note: any one feel free to correct my terminology if incorrect.

I'm working on an acid regeneration technique, one one way I'm going to try is bubbling SO2 through CuCl2.
2CuCl2 + SO2 + 2H20 -> 2CuCl + 2HCl + H2SO4
so.. by oxidizing the dissolved copper with sulfur dioxide, you get HCl and sulfuric acid.

1. According to Ed, the HCl is weak and
more Fe solution than HCl. Are you sure
you still want to reuse it?
2.OMG - it seems you put more money
in than you get out.

OMG said:
I'm working on an acid regeneration technique, one one way I'm going to try is bubbling SO2 through CuCl2.
2CuCl2 + SO2 + 2H20 -> 2CuCl + 2HCl + H2SO4
so.. by oxidizing the dissolved copper with sulfur dioxide, you get HCl and sulfuric acid.

or Sodium Metabisulfite will precipitate the nearly insoluble CuCl as a whitish powder which can be filtered out and recycled. Using SO2 is a little better because it doesn't neutralize any of the acid or add Sodium Ions.
It all depend if you want to recover the Copper or regenerate the acid. For recovering the Copper, Sodium Sulfite is preferred.
You can generate SO2 by burning Sulfur in Oxygen or Air or heating Sodium Metabisulfite to 190 deg C. which leaves Na2O as a residue.

Everything but the squeal.

Ed said:
Can I reuse The HCL + peroxide from my copper recovery tank?

Yes, bubble air thru the mix until the color becomes a clear transparent green color (about 24 hours). Adding more peroxide will accomplish the same goal.

The HCl is not what dissolves the copper in this reaction it's the copper chloride. If you add iron, steel, aluminum, etc. you will remove the copper as stated and the solution will no longer be useful as AP.

Steve

Would it be effective to bubble air through the AP while you are stripping the gold?

At what point does the solution become too saturated with base metals to be effective?

Skyline,

Bubbling air thru the AP solution as it etches speeds things up a bit, but it tends to spit and splatter everywhere, so cover the bucket with a loose fitting lid.

The solution merely grows in volume as it consumes more base metals. The copper chloride formed is the dissolving agent and is recycled when oxidized. Saturation can occur when the solution has absorbed more copper than the volume of liquid will hold. Adding a bit of HCl, water, or peroxide will activate it again. Which one to add and how much is determined by several factors.

The details of what to add when are in a Copper Chloride document on my website, http://www.goldrecovery.us which anyone interested in the AP reaction should study throughly. It seems all to often people are asking questions here when the answers have previously been accumulated and provided here and/or on my website, but they refuse to read the documents provided.

Study your reactions and documentation throughly before you begin to use them and it will serve you far better than any outside assistance. Who knows maybe you can even figure out a something that will make the reaction work better.

Steve

I have clean, dried, filtered 125 PSI compressed air at my disposal.
Is this ok to use in my AP?
I have a low pressure regulator (5 PSI Max) coupled with an adjustable flow meter (3 CFM Max) that prevents splatter from excess flow/pressure.
Or is it better to use an aquarium pump because of the air properties?
Thanks,
Ideal-Wirenut

Wirenut,

I have only tried an ordinary aquarium pump. It wouldn't hurt to try other sources of air and let the forum know your results.

Steve

What happens when you put aluminum into your copper and iron chloride solution?
I tried it, assuming it would release HCl and H2, so I bubbled the stuff through a column of water to try to dissolve the HCl.

It didn't work as far as I can tell. I dont think any/much HCl gas got dissolved into the water. Although all the metals are at the bottom of the container and the liquid is pretty much clear, so the chlorides had to go somewhere.

Anyone know what this reaction does? Its got to be making aluminum chloride, and aluminum chloride is very reactive with water.. supposidly stealing the oxygen from h20 and releasing HCl(gas).

The metal chlorides I had were very concentrated, and I think some HCl was produced but not much... So what happened to the chlorine if it didn't go up in gas?

Only use as much acid as needed to do the job and you won't have a bunch to dispose of later.

It can be distilled off fairly easily and recovered.

When the HCL has boiled off, put the remaining salts in your stock pot.

Everything but the squeal.

Hydrochloric Acid is a solution of Hydrogen Chloride gas in Water. You have to start off with some distilled Water in the receiving flask to absorb the HCL gas that is distilled off of the salts solution. Be sure the receiving flask is cold, preferably in an ice bath.

I have clean, dried, filtered 125 PSI compressed air at my disposal.
Is this ok to use in my AP?
I have a low pressure regulator (5 PSI Max) coupled with an adjustable flow meter (3 CFM Max) that prevents splatter from excess flow/pressure.
Or is it better to use an aquarium pump because of the air properties?
Thanks,
Ideal-Wirenut

lazersteve said:
Wirenut,

I have only tried an ordinary aquarium pump. It wouldn't hurt to try other sources of air and let the forum know your results.

Steve

Finally got back to working on this.
Used compressed air from a screw compressor that has been filtered, sent thru a dessacant air dryer chamber, & then thru a freon refrigerent air dryer.
Took about 3 days to change a used quart of AP from a dark green to a bright emerald or jade colored clear green.
Will pick up an cheap used aquarium pump when garage sale season starts up to compare it to.
Ideal-Wirenut

about this subject and using zinc to precip everything, I did it today on a small scale for fun and zinc worked Excellent, here are the befor and after pictures. I took the picture a little late in the game so keep in mind the befor pic was dark green like the flask next to it.

Attachments

• a0325091309.jpg
    a0325091309.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 515
  • a0325091252.jpg
    a0325091252.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 515
gold1961 said:
Yes Zinc the way to go.......
Depends on your objective, really. If you are trying to recover from a batch gone bad, zinc will do that, but if are looking for selective precipitation, zinc is a loser.

You can accomplish the same thing with scrap steel, which is far easier and cheaper to procure. I suggest keeping zinc for those cases where it is needed. Precipitating values from cyanide, for one.

Harold

Harold_V said:
gold1961 said:
Yes Zinc the way to go.......
Depends on your objective, really. If you are trying to recover from a batch gone bad, zinc will do that, but if are looking for selective precipitation, zinc is a loser.

You can accomplish the same thing with scrap steel, which is far easier and cheaper to procure. I suggest keeping zinc for those cases where it is needed. Precipitating values from cyanide, for one.

Harold
Harold is right on the money(as Ushual)
I posted the pics just to share but that method is not the way to reuse AP as stated by steve that you do not want to remove everything to regenerate it.

Lazersteve said:
The HCl is not what dissolves the copper in this reaction it's the copper chloride.
If you add iron, steel, aluminum, etc. you will remove the copper as stated and the solution will no longer be useful as AP.

So if I am undestanding this putting copper in AP creates CuCl and that is what keeps the reaction going?

Back