AP using high percentage peroxide- BE CAREFUL!

Gold Refining Forum

Help Support Gold Refining Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Refiner49er

After running several batches using HCL/H2O2, I wanted to post the following observations.

Using HCL and 3% peroxide at a ratio of 2:1 didn't seem to be very effective unless it was warmed, still quite slow at attacking the heavier or more resistant substrates. It works well on fingers and thinner Au coatings, but if you are processing outside and the temperature is less than 50 F, the reaction is impaired considerably.

I have just finished two runs of AP using 27.5% hydrogen peroxide- a pool shock product that Lou recommended. I used a ratio of 1000 ml HCL to 55 ml H2O2 ( 1/9th the volume of a 3% peroxide). The reaction was immediate and vigorous, the solution heated up moderately with observable vapor rising off the container. It stripped the parts in a relatively short period of time.

I am in complete agreement with Lou, GSP, Irons and others in regards to minimizing the H2O in this solution. But use caution, and add the peroxide a little at a time, it is definitely hot stuff!

I am impressed with the effectiveness of a more concentrated solution.

what was the pool product called? I am hoping I can find it in winnipeg. I would like to test it.

The product was called Soft Swim. There are probably a number of brands available, just call around to pool suppliers and ask for a pool shock with 27% hydrogen peroxide. Keep the lid tightly sealed to prevent the material from decomposing.

Most pool shocks in Manitoba are Calcium Hypochlorite or Potassium Monopersulfate or Lithium Hypochlorite.

Those are the primiray ingredient of the three most commmon SHOCK type pool care products I don't recall seeing peroxyde on the ingredients list when I shop for pool supplies.

But I see that soft swim is marketed as the new chlorine free stuff and I've never looked for chlorine free stuff

BioGuard® SoftSwim® "C" Shock & Clarifier

Indeed the BioGuard Softswim C is 27.5% hydrogen peroxide. $45 per gallon on one of the websites I found. regular peroxide would run a little less than half that cost but 9 times weaker. Hmm off to the pool store.

Yes, be very careful with concentrated hydrogen peroxide. It becomes very dangerous at concentrations of 27% and above. 35% will bleach your skin and clothes instantly, 50% will give horrible boils and burns, and the 90% material will often explode upon touching organic material (it's also like maple syrup in consistency). That stuff is used as rocket fuel all by itself!

Also, let me mention that halides decompose peroxide (amongst other things, like fine metal powders, sunlight, and heat).

So if you do anything with peroxide, keep it away from bromide and iodide, it will rapidly decompose the peroxide, often explosively (I once had a steam explosion making bromine with peroxide solution).

Lou

I am not sure of what exactly the contents are, but has anyone considered the peroxide that is used for bleaching hair by beauticians? if the higher concentrations are what turns skin colors and leaves burns, I would expect that this stuff would work. Have not even considered the cost factor. Will do some research and get back with yall.

I was just doing some snooping around and found that you can buy a 15 gallon container of "food grade peroxide" which is 35% for about 1.50 / gallon (about $23 for the 15 gallon container). NOt sure how that stacks up, but I hope it helps someone. The cosmotology grade is, at most, 12% and costs more.

Likewise, that is an excellent price.
From that I can make reagent grade just by simple distillation, then titration to find concentration and dilution to a specific level. Beats $50/L from Fisher!

Lou, Wow, it does pay to look at other views. Randy had mentioned to me about using peroxide as an oxidizer with HCL. But I do a lot of stuff with Iodine. So I WILL BE SURE not to combine peroxide and Iodine. By the way, anybody ever use Lugols' Iodine ? It was used before the Civil War by prospectors in the same way that Hg fumes were used with a feather. Interesting process. Thanks, EVO :)

Let me know if I'm blowing smoke here but I thought H2O2 degraded to water if left open and exposed to air and or sunlight. You are going to distill it to raise the concentration?

Back