Gold Plated Bath and Lighting Fixtures

Lists, Photos, Discussion
scrappappy
Country of Origin: USA

Gold Plated Bath and Lighting Fixtures

Postby scrappappy » September 15th, 2018, 1:30 am

We have some gold plated shower frames that were removed from a late 60's remodel and they seem to have a decent amount of plating based on the deep color. But they're also pretty heavy so I'm not sure if they're worth the shipping cost when I eventually send stuff to a toll refiner.

Also have some lighting fixtures that are much more recent with thinner plating but they should be much lighter. for shipping.

But I started wondering why I never see this type of stuff listed for refining. Anyone have experience with this type of stuff.. is it considered low yield or some other reason it's not common in the gold refining community? My brother in-law is a general contractor and said he runs into this type of stuff often but is it worth the trouble of setting them aside?

20180913_194755.jpg

20180913_194809.jpg

20180913_194845.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I knew I was hooked when the bank teller asked "How would you like that" and I answered "in gold and silver"

kernels
Country of Origin: New Zealand

Re: Gold Plated Bath and Lighting Fixtures

Postby kernels » September 15th, 2018, 2:57 am

I tested some Gold scraped off 'Gold-plated' door knobs a while ago and ended up with a negative stannous test. Best to test on small sample first to confirm it is actually Gold plated

goldsilverpro

Postby goldsilverpro » September 15th, 2018, 8:30 am

Worth testing but probably dyed anodized aluminum.
"Everything should be as simple as possible, but not simpler" - Albert Einstein
"It is better to hear the rebuke of the wise, than for a man to hear the song of fools" Ecc 7:5, 1611 AV
"The refiner is always the last liar." Louis Labash, 1979

GoldSilverPro's eBook For Sale. viewtopic.php?f=84&t=22327&p=233617#p233617
GSP Consulting viewtopic.php?f=84&t=26425

snoman701

Postby snoman701 » September 15th, 2018, 9:05 am

Only about 1/4 of what looks gold, on a copper bearing base, is actually gold. Usually it's an aluminum bronze buffed to a high polish.

That which does throw a gold signature on XRF just gets thrown in to a barrel. Maybe some day I'll process it...but it's realistically unlikely.

kurtak

Postby kurtak » September 16th, 2018, 12:30 pm

NOTHING in your pictures are gold plated :!: :!: :!:

They are ether anodized - or titanium nitride PVD coated - or electrophoretic lacquer coated - all of which can provide a finish that has the appearance of 24K gold plating but are NOT gold

Which of these methods are used to provide a coating with the "appearance" of gold plating - but contain NO gold depends on the base metal they are applied to &/or the application the hardware is used for

Kurt

Return to “Types of PM Scrap”