1) can I use Sodium MetaBisulfite for dropping gold out of solution?
Yes, you can drop gold with SMB.
2) Is there an advantage to using Sodium Bisulfite over Sodium MetaBisulfite?
In essence it's the same.
3) What is the main difference between the two chemicals with respect to gold refining?
They're actually different chemicals. Sodium bisulphite is NaHSO3, and Sodium metabisulphite is Na2S2O5. Both are available in powder form, and incidentally have the foodstuff additive numbers of E222, and E223 respectively.
However, as soon as you dissolve Sodium metabisulphite in water it becomes Sodium bisulphite. The addition product of Na2S2O5 + H2O is 2(NaHSO3).
As you may see, there's a difference in the molecular weights of the bisulphite and metabisulphite. Anhydrous Sodium metabisulphite has a molecular weight of 190 to the bisulphite's 104, but the metabisulphite will form two molecules of bisulphite with the addition of one molecule of water. Therefore 19 gms of anhydrous metabisulphite is equivalent to 20.8 gms of pure bisulphite.
Since pure Sodium bisulphite is almost impossible to obtain, it's easier and cheaper to substitute 91.3% of the weight of bisulphite with metabisulphite.
-- Pete Andrews (firstname.lastname@example.org
), March 11, 20
4) can liquid Sodium Bisulfite be used to precipitate gold out of solution?
As far as know... yes.
5) Is ther a source of supply for powdered or crystaline Sodium Bisulfite that someone can suggest? I live in the Southeastern United States - South Carolina.
I'm sure. Home Depot for one. Its called Stump out, by Bonide. Any Brewery supply store, since SMB is a preservative used in beer & wine
Yes, SMB is cheaper, ussually 4 to 5 us dollars/#.
There're many posts on the subject that elaborate & share more precise information, take some time & check them out, so you stay safe & minimize problems.
May you have a golden day!!!
If you are going to dream... DREAM BIG!!!
You may say that I'm a dreamer... but I'm not the only one!
"Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value --- zero." Voltaire (1694-1778)
The difference between a dream & reality is, a good plan!
WARNING: No "cartridge type" respirator will filter out nitric fumes, NONE!!!