GRF Search!

precipitating from sulfuric

<<

azdave35

Post July 28th, 2011, 1:06 pm

precipitating from sulfuric

i'm pre treating some ore in sulfuric acid in prep for leaching...i want to drop the metals from the sulfuric solution to see what base metals are in the ore....what do i use to drop them?...zinc maybe?...do i need to neutralize the acid before i drop the metals?..any help would be appreciated
<<

Arrowood

Post July 28th, 2011, 3:28 pm

Re: precipitating from sulfuric

I dont know enough about this yet to help you,.. but I am very curious as to how you will test the precipitates you drop to learn what metals are present. I may try what you are doing to my ore next. I probably just add NaOH to a sample of the solution first to see if that precipitates anything however. Thanks for the idea! :lol:
<<

azdave35

Post July 28th, 2011, 3:41 pm

anytime you leach an ore you need to identify and eliminate the enemies (base metals...they will consume your leach and cause other problems) prior to leaching...once you know which base metals you are dealing with ...then you can come up with the proper pre treatment
<<

Arrowood

Post July 28th, 2011, 3:49 pm

I was under the impression that removing base metals was the objective of the HCl / peroxide process,.. does sulfuric acid do the same thing? Are you adding peroxide to the sulfuric acid too?
<<

azdave35

Post July 28th, 2011, 3:57 pm

no...the suilfuric acid is just a pre treat that you do first before you leach...it gets rid of iron...lead..copper and a host of other nasties
<<

Arrowood

Post July 28th, 2011, 4:13 pm

Ahh,. I see,.. I just got this info from wikipedia,.. "Sulfuric acid reacts with most metals via a single displacement reaction to produce hydrogen gas and the metal sulfate. Dilute H2SO4 attacks iron, aluminium, zinc, manganese, magnesium and nickel, but reactions with tin and copper require the acid to be hot and concentrated. Lead and tungsten, however, are resistant to sulfuric acid."

I assume you heated the sulfuric acid before you treated the ore? What about the lead however?,.. it is resistant to sulfuric acid. You wont know if the ore contains lead or not.
<<

Geo

Post July 29th, 2011, 3:19 am

lead can be dissolved with hcl acid which makes lead chloride which is water soluble.perhaps as a second step.
<<

azdave35

Post July 29th, 2011, 10:10 am

thanks for the replies guys but i'd like some info on how to precip or drop the base metals (copper..lead iron ect ) after they are stripped from the ore and in solution
<<

Geo

Post July 29th, 2011, 4:52 pm

azdave35 wrote:thanks for the replies guys but i'd like some info on how to precip or drop the base metals (copper..lead iron ect ) after they are stripped from the ore and in solution

zinc or aluminum will drop all base metals out of solution.first gather all your solution in one container and then add a large piece of copper which will drop all precious metals that may be present.after 24 hours remove the copper that's left and filter the solution,any sludge will contain any PM's that were missed in your refining.dilute your solution with equal amounts of water and place in a sturdy plastic container,i use a plastic 30 gallon drum with the top removed.add aluminum slowly (discarded beverage cans will work but need to be clean and dry, these will have a thin plastic liner that will need to be filtered out later) or any aluminum will work.zinc is more efficient but harder to come by.the reaction can be vigorous and will produce alot of heat so go slow.solution will become clear as base metals settle to the bottom.all base metals will be dropped when no more aluminum will react with the solution.decant used solution to a fresh container and neutralize with crushed limestone dust or baking soda (limestone is cheaper as it will take quite a bit to neutralize even a gallon) after adding more limestone doesnt produce any fizzing or reaction your spent solution is safe to discard.
<<

azdave35

Post July 30th, 2011, 12:02 pm

thanks geo
<<

jeneje

Post July 30th, 2011, 1:37 pm

Geo wrote:
azdave35 wrote:thanks for the replies guys but i'd like some info on how to precip or drop the base metals (copper..lead iron ect ) after they are stripped from the ore and in solution

zinc or aluminum will drop all base metals out of solution.first gather all your solution in one container and then add a large piece of copper which will drop all precious metals that may be present.after 24 hours remove the copper that's left and filter the solution,any sludge will contain any PM's that were missed in your refining.dilute your solution with equal amounts of water and place in a sturdy plastic container,i use a plastic 30 gallon drum with the top removed.add aluminum slowly (discarded beverage cans will work but need to be clean and dry, these will have a thin plastic liner that will need to be filtered out later) or any aluminum will work.zinc is more efficient but harder to come by.the reaction can be vigorous and will produce alot of heat so go slow.solution will become clear as base metals settle to the bottom.all base metals will be dropped when no more aluminum will react with the solution.decant used solution to a fresh container and neutralize with crushed limestone dust or baking soda (limestone is cheaper as it will take quite a bit to neutralize even a gallon) after adding more limestone doesnt produce any fizzing or reaction your spent solution is safe to discard.

How do you seperate the pm's from the base metal after dropping if any are there?

Thanks
Ken
Never jump in blind, it's leads to stupidity!
My mind works like lightning - One brilliant flash and it's GONE!!
The difference between Stupidity and Wisdom - Wisdom lets' Stupidity go first!

http://refinementofpreciousmetals.com
<<

nickvc

Post July 30th, 2011, 1:51 pm

Ken that was covered in the first part by cementing with copper.
<<

rusty

Post July 30th, 2011, 2:50 pm

azdave35 wrote:i'm pre treating some ore in sulfuric acid in prep for leaching...i want to drop the metals from the sulfuric solution to see what base metals are in the ore....what do i use to drop them?...zinc maybe?...do i need to neutralize the acid before i drop the metals?..any help would be appreciated

You could use a carbon as anode with a stainless steel cathode to strip the electrolyte ( sulfuric solution ) of metal.

Regards
Rusty
<<

Geo

Post July 30th, 2011, 2:57 pm

jeneje wrote:
Geo wrote:

How do you seperate the pm's from the base metal after dropping if any are there?

Thanks
Ken

i assume you were asking how to separate the PM's from one another.i can give an answer based on this assumption but i may be wrong.take the sludge containing your PM's and rinse several times in boiling water then allow to dry.after your material is dry dissolve in 50/50 nitric acid and water.this will separate most PM's from your gold as gold will not dissolve in nitric alone.after digestion filter solution and rinse solids and place in a vessel that you can incinerate your solids,this will remove any nitric left.back to your nitric solution use NaCl or plain un-iodized table salt to drop any silver present in the form of silver chloride.back to the solids, dissolve your solids in the manner thats easier for you whether its aqua regia or hcl+chl.dont forget to test each solution with stannous chloride to be certain they contain PM's.after testing with a positive of Au double your volume of solution by adding to equal amounts of water then precipitate using sodium metabisulfite.

Return to Prospecting, Mining, Ore Concentrates & Geochemical