We are proud to announce that the board has been upgraded to the latest phpBB version. This upgrade brings many new user improvements. We hope you enjoy them.
The GRF Team.

Saltwater Cell

If you need help with the processes...
Tjnie

Saltwater Cell

Postby Tjnie » February 10th, 2008, 6:47 pm

Hi guys,
I have been doing a lot of reading on this awesome website and planning on a process based on information I have been gathering. In particular the process I have in mind is using saltwater cell (reference to posts by Lazer Steve/Scavanger) to dissolve/strip gold bearing items, then using HCL/Hydrogen peroxide (in crockpot) to dissolve base metals, then HCL/CL to dissolve gold before precipitating with SMB.
I plan to use un-iodized household salt as electrolyte in a divided cell – semi permeable membrane (using a fused silica crucible as anode cell), to save acid. I have done small experiments on saltwater cell (un-iodized household salt) using stainless stell as cathode, hydrogen peroxide as catylist and have noted the following;
1. When gold plated items (anode) are stripped off its plating, the voltage (iam using a 6 & 12 volts manual battery charger) rises to its peak then drops to zero and stops, floating gold flakes visible in anode solution. Am I correct to say that the plated item has been completely stripped of its gold when voltage drops to zero?
2. For some items (9/10K-tested with electronic gold tester) voltage rises to its peak then gradually drops to zero and stops when the item has completely dissolved leaving brown/greenish gunk in anode compartment of cell. For this observation, is it possible for gold to dissolve into the anode solution? What is this brownish/greenish gunk?
3. Is saltwater electrolyte selective for gold or it will just dissolve everything to gunk as in observation 2 above?
Having said all that, would the process (Saltwater cell = HCL/hydrogen peroxide (crockpot)=HCL/CL) work?
Any advise, corrections, or comments please,

arthur

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Return to “Help Needed”