GRF Search!

Gold powder

<<

arthurcorbit

Post May 11th, 2008, 2:05 pm

Gold powder

Here's a little tip for you. You may already know this but if you don't here it is. When you drop gold when you get the brown powder cleaned up while it is still a little wet take a wad of it about the size of a pea and put it on a piece of typing paper that is laying on a hard surface. Take a kitchen knife blade and lay the flat side on the wad of brown powder. Press down on the knife blade pretty hard and then pull it across the gold. Everything the knife blade is touching will turn into beautiful metalic yellow gold. This is proof positive the powder even though it is brown is indeed metalic gold.

Art
<<

goldsilverpro

Post May 11th, 2008, 4:31 pm

I used to put a small chunk of powder on the tip of my finger and rub it on a glass or a glass bottle. Believe it or not, I got to the point that I could tell the approximate purity by the brilliance and color of the burnished gold.

A refining story. About 25 years ago, I owned half of a mobile refinery. We cyanide stripped electronic parts and did aqua regia, on site, at various manufacturing facilities. One evening, I was drying about 50 to 100 oz of gold powder, a day's work, in a big dish on a hotplate. I was continually stirring it with a big SS spoon. One of the company's workers was watching me but had no idea that the brown powder was gold. The spoon burnished a big chunk of the powder and it turned brilliant gold color. The worker pointed to the chunk and exclaimed, "There's one!"

I guess you had to be there.
<<

arthurcorbit

Post May 11th, 2008, 6:21 pm

I did some 999 fine coin gold that way one day just to see what the color would be. It was absolutely beautiful. I have some electronic gold now that is just as pretty.

I have a question along these lines and I was wondering if you would answer it. When you dissolve the plated gold you can't do it without dissolving at least a little junk metal. Does the SMB just drop the gold or all thew metals? If it drops all the metals then you still have to purify the gold some other way, correct? If that's correct then what method do you use.? I haven't come across anything on the fourm that explains that yet. Thanks

Art
<<

Roxx

Post May 11th, 2008, 6:23 pm

oh thats classic...the guy thought you were looking for nuggets.
<<

james122964

Post May 11th, 2008, 8:07 pm

Art, I think the SMB is supposed to just drop the gold although if you have a lot of junk also dissolved some will come down also.
<<

Harold_V

Post May 12th, 2008, 3:35 am

arthurcorbit wrote:I have a question along these lines and I was wondering if you would answer it. When you dissolve the plated gold you can't do it without dissolving at least a little junk metal. Does the SMB just drop the gold or all thew metals? If it drops all the metals then you still have to purify the gold some other way, correct? If that's correct then what method do you use.? I haven't come across anything on the fourm that explains that yet. Thanks

Art

Once again, Hoke is your friend.

When you precipitate gold, regardless of the precipitant you choose, there is mechanical drag-down of other elements. They aren't normally precipitated unless you use poor judgment and choose something like copper as your precipitant.

It is for that reason that it's so important to eliminate base metals in the preliminary operation(s). Then it becomes important to wash the gold well, using HCl, even if you feel your gold chloride solution was free of contaminants. It almost never is.

I do NOT recommend the use of nitric for the washing procedure. Not because it doesn't work, but because the gold comes from a chloride solution. Unless you can eliminate it totally after precipitation, some of it (the gold) will be re-dissolved when you introduce the nitric for the wash. Considering the contaminants you are trying to remove are normally not solids, but metals in solution, a wash with HCl is more than adequate. I regularly produced gold of greater quality than 9995 by a second refining and my preferred washing procedure.

Below, you'll see a picture that, by now, has likely worn out its welcome on the group. I've posted it several times.

Take note that the gold you see required NO pickle to achieve its brightness. It came from the melting dish with no oxidation.

Harold
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You are what you write.
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
<<

Andrew W

Post May 12th, 2008, 5:03 am

goldsilverpro wrote:..."There's one!"...

:lol: I needed that laugh! Great story... :mrgreen:
<<

arthurcorbit

Post May 12th, 2008, 7:46 am

Thanks Harold.

The reason I asked these questions is because in the past I have done a lot of testing of crushed ore in this area. Most of it has been sandstone that has a real high Iron content plus a little silver and God only knows what else. I have tried cleaning all the junk out of it with HCL and Nitric and no matter what I do I still can't get a positive Stannous Chloride test on it or I can't leach it and drop any gold out of it.

Some of it has gold in it you can see with the naked eye and I have put gold in some of it but still no positive test or no gold dropped. I haven't tried the SMB yet but I will as soon as I can get some of it in here. I have also not tried the AP or the HCL and bleach. SSN and AR is all I have tried so far and dropping with Hydrazine or zinc powder. I know there should be able to do this but I haven't found a way yet.

Art
<<

JustinNH

Post May 12th, 2008, 5:24 pm

Harold_V wrote:Below, you'll see a picture that, by now, has likely worn out its welcome on the group. I've posted it several times.
Harold

I dont think that pic will ever ware out its welcome. :wink:
-Justin
Can't..wait..for..gold..panning..this..spring!!!
<<

Gotrek

Post May 13th, 2008, 10:12 am

No kidding, whenever I see the corn flakes I wonder what it would be like to eat a big heaping spoonful.
All the gold which is under or upon the earth is not enough to give in exchange for virtue.
<<

Noxx

Site Admin

Post May 13th, 2008, 10:16 am

It would be... erm... heavy...
Jean-Nicolas Allaire,

Please read before you precipitate.

Return to General Chat